Can ryzen APU's really not accept more than 64gb of ram?

Go to solution Solved by jj9987,

Lenovo systems with Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G or 5750G support up to 128 GB according to their official specification.

So no, it's not limited to 64 GB.

I'm talking about the R7 PRO 5750G, one forum member told me that it can only accept 64gb.

Where is it written? I didn't see that warning on the AMD website, and just read 4-6 reviews and none of them mentioned that.

You would think that were true, they would talk about it?

So can someone point me to some evidence of that?

Thanks, Origami

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Often times laptops are restricted how much memory you can upgrade to. 

So you go to the site (Acer?) And see what you can upgrade to.

AMD doesn't officially state on their website how much memory their Ryzen CPU's support and single 32gb DDR4 memory modules aren't exactly common. Regardless, it shouldn't really matter since I don't see a realistic scenario where you would need more than 64gb of ram with a 5750G

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Often times laptops are restricted how much memory you can upgrade to. 

So you go to the site (Acer?) And see what you can upgrade to.

The 7 Pro 5750G is a desktop APU.

3 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

The 7 Pro 5750G is a desktop APU.

Ah so it is then. (I didn't look it up like I should had)

Then memory amount will be determined by the motherboard. 128gb most of them will support.

Lenovo systems with Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G or 5750G support up to 128 GB according to their official specification.

So no, it's not limited to 64 GB.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Depends on the motherboard. On a MB with only 2 RAM slots 64GB is the maximum supported RAM.

Isn’t the RAM support platform specific? It shouldn’t come down to what cpu you use. 

@FRSHPRNCFBLR @--SID--  @jj9987 @ShrimpBrime  @AndreiArgeanu

Thanks guys, that is what i thought.

32GBx1 DDR4 3200 CL16 DIMMS are just so cheap, that is why i thought about getting 4 of them, because why not.

Motherboard says it supports 128gb.

So @Dr0idGh0sT please explain why you said that it only supports 64gb. My brother also found that "fact" somewhere, and im just trying to make sense of it. I know that it has 2x less L3 cache, but that should have anything to do with memory support, on AMD site both 5800x and 5750G say they support dual channel.

20 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

@FRSHPRNCFBLR @--SID--  @jj9987 @ShrimpBrime  @AndreiArgeanu

Thanks guys, that is what i thought.

32GBx1 DDR4 3200 CL16 DIMMS are just so cheap, that is why i thought about getting 4 of them, because why not.

Motherboard says it supports 128gb.

So @Dr0idGh0sT please explain why you said that it only supports 64gb. My brother also found that "fact" somewhere, and im just trying to make sense of it. I know that it has 2x less L3 cache, but that should have anything to do with memory support, on AMD site both 5800x and 5750G say they support dual channel.

All modern Desktop and Laptop APU/CPUs uses Dual Channel. HEDT ones however, uses Quad Channel.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

All modern Desktop and Laptop APU/CPUs uses Dual Channel. HEDT ones however, uses Quad Channel.

yeah i know. I could get a threadripper 2920x for the same price as the 5750g, but i don't need 256gb of ram ever, and the motherboards are insanly priced for threadripper.

14 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

It's weird, Some sites does list that it only supports 64GB of memory, While 5700G is listed to support 128 GB, Maybe those sites are incorrect 🤔

Screenshot_20211010-213207.png

Screenshot_20211010-213044.png

You may have to update the BIOS/UEFI Firmware.

ok thanks @whm1974 and @Dr0idGh0sT, but I'll just go for 64gb atm, i figured out that even 64gb is kinda overkill, so no need for 128gb, buit ill keep it in mind for the future.

37 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

ok thanks @whm1974 and @Dr0idGh0sT, but I'll just go for 64gb atm, i figured out that even 64gb is kinda overkill, so no need for 128gb, buit ill keep it in mind for the future.

What exactly are you doing to even use 64GB, or for that matter, need that much RAM? For most people, 32GB is overkill.

Just now, whm1974 said:

What exactly are you doing to even use 64GB, or for that matter, need that much RAM? For most people, 32GB is overkill.

Not my PC, but it will be used for multiple VM's and coding and stuff like that.

But i have to say that i run 32GB in my laptop and desktop and quite a bit of times i get near the 31Gb mark, so the extra 32gb can't hurt.