How can I improve performance of my laptop?

My daily driver that I paid 1300 united states dollars for back in 2017 is not performing very well. It was a Microsoft Surface Pro. Here are the specs:

4GB DDR3 RAM, soldered

Core i5 7th gen processor with integrated graphics

128GB storage

I can't really do much with it right now. Are there any things I can do to give it a boost?

when you say "not performing very well", in what way?

do remember that the i5s are passively cooled so by default wont be as good as a standard i5 laptop.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

when you say "not performing very well", in what way?

do remember that the i5s are passively cooled so by default wont be as good as a standard i5 laptop.

Ocasionally when playing videos it heats up and stutters, and if I check task manager CPU usage is in the 90s. I can push out at best 25fps in games.

It's not a gaming machine, so you really shouldn't expect much, if anything in terms of FPS.

depending on what else you're during while playing the video, remember that iGPUs share RAM with the system, so you might be RAM starved. does it stutter on lower quality?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

It's not a gaming machine, so you really shouldn't expect much, if anything in terms of FPS.

depending on what else you're during while playing the video, remember that iGPUs share RAM with the system, so you might be RAM starved. does it stutter on lower quality?

No, not really. I am just wondering there is something I can do to boost performance, like a setting.

8 minutes ago, Justanannoyedaussie said:

No, not really. I am just wondering there is something I can do to boost performance, like a setting.

what games are you playing? As Arika said dont expect much more out of an laptop with integrated graphics and 4gb of ddr3 ram. Even with settings to boost performance

2 minutes ago, emieleke said:

what games are you playing? As Arika said dont expect much more out of an laptop with integrated graphics and 4gb of ddr3 ram. Even with settings to boost performance

I'm playing ROBLOX as it's basically the only game it can run.

Just now, Justanannoyedaussie said:

I'm playing ROBLOX as it's basically the only game it can run.

oh well is ROBLOX running bad as whole or only certain game modes like phantom forces etc? 

1 minute ago, emieleke said:

oh well is ROBLOX running bad as whole or only certain game modes like phantom forces etc? 

Most games don't run the best.

Just now, Justanannoyedaussie said:

Most games don't run the best.

well because you said it stutters when it heats up you can try aiming a fan at the ventilation ports to help it cool. But Benji is right. Passively-cooled Core i5+4GB RAM isnt going to cut it anymore. 

4 minutes ago, emieleke said:

well because you said it stutters when it heats up you can try aiming a fan at the ventilation ports to help it cool. But Benji is right. Passively-cooled Core i5+4GB RAM isnt going to cut it anymore. 

r.i.p

You have basically the lowest end version of the surface which has always just sucked and nowdays even more. With 4gb of ram that thing is just a bad computer.

If you want more performance the only option is to sell it and get something that is actually good. They do go for a decent price on the used market and it's pretty easy to find a much stronger laptop for the price it goes for on the used market too.

Just now, jaslion said:

You have basically the lowest end version of the surface which has always just sucked and nowdays even more. With 4gb of ram that thing is just a bad computer.

If you want more performance the only option is to sell it and get something that is actually good. They do go for a decent price on the used market and it's pretty easy to find a much stronger laptop for the price it goes for on the used market too.

It's not actually the lowest end model. It was 1300USD and there was a model with an i3.

3 minutes ago, Justanannoyedaussie said:

It's not actually the lowest end model. It was 1300USD and there was a model with an i3.

Oh right they still did that. Either way performance is near identical between those 2 in the surface.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh right they still did that. Either way performance is near identical between those 2 in the surface.

Eh, it still has a 4Kish screen so visuals are awesome, even if it is 12 inches.

1 minute ago, Justanannoyedaussie said:

Eh, it still has a 4Kish screen so visuals are awesome, even if it is 12 inches.

Doesn't matter if it literally doesn't function well as a computer :P. Probably also one of the BIG reasons this thing is struggling.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Doesn't matter if it literally doesn't function well as a computer :P. Probably also one of the BIG reasons this thing is struggling.

Nah, it runs the games at 720p or 1080

Not familiar with the device but assuming there are no hardware options, all you can do is look to optimise software. Make sure you do not have anything running in the background unless really needed. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, porina said:

Not familiar with the device but assuming there are no hardware options, all you can do is look to optimise software. Make sure you do not have anything running in the background unless really needed. 

Okay.

* your thread was moved to the Laptops and Pre-Built Systems *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 hours ago, Justanannoyedaussie said:

Ocasionally when playing videos it heats up and stutters, and if I check task manager CPU usage is in the 90s. I can push out at best 25fps in games.

laptops are more known for being a thing you can carry around and get some productivity done with, not gaming

2 hours ago, Justanannoyedaussie said:

my doubt is immeasurable

check system information, if it's actually 4k, I'll be thoroughly surprised

9 hours ago, Finnegan1616 said:

my doubt is immeasurable

check system information, if it's actually 4k, I'll be thoroughly surprised

4Kish: 2736 x 1824