Why do people want to install Windows 11 from Windows 10?

Jurrunio

What appeal do they see in Windows 11?

Microsoft in recent years have been awful in clearing bugs and performance optimization, I would never myself nor recommend others upgrade to their latest release until the install you have is no longer supported or have bugs/known exploits.

I thought people learned this the hard way through Windows 8 and then 10, but apparently they are still going for Windows 11 this early. I'm really interested in knowing their reasons.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I can say why I don't want to because I can

Windows 11 will just have some other things just not work that used to work, it looks like a chromebook and mac from wish, it's too early, probably a lot of forced bloatware, just no

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

I probably will most just for the vastly better window handling, especially restoring to the right positions on the right monitor after going to sleep or the monitors turning off. That's a huge productivity suck that I'm more than ready to move on from. I also like the UI better, especially the settings interface. I'm also looking forward to having dedicated virtual desktops that I can actually customize for different workflows: one for work, one for gaming, etc.

Then, there's the fact that I've just never really had any issues with Windows 10, honestly. Not sure why some people experienced so many bugs or issues, but that's never been my experience. As such, I'm not concerned about jumping right onto 11, which is really just 10 continued. The version bump was mostly just about clearing the slate on supported hardware, not any core fundamental change to the underlying OS. Even my time with the alpha Insider build has been largely issue free, so I really have no concerns about a final release.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Because it is latest version. Peoples attitude seems to be like Win10 is going to disappear after Win11 release.

I myself not in any rush to upgrade to 11. 

7 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I thought people learned this the hard way through Windows 8 and then 10, but apparently they are still going for Windows 11 this early. I'm really interested in knowing their reasons.

Remember the recent issues with pre orders around Cyberpunk 2077? It's the same reason. New and shiny!

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

People were installing the dev builds on their main systems and then complaining when things didn't work. You can't expect people to think things through unfortunately. 

I have it on a VM out of curiosity. I really don't like it from a design standpoint so I'll probably be holding off for as long as I can or until people come out with their own changes to make it more how I'd like it. There's too much focus on things looking "clean" for me. I've come across loads of new software that prioritising a clean and modern look over practicality, doing things like hiding everything behind drop downs and additional menus and leaving large amounts of blank space which ends up ruining programs. Feels like MS may have fallen into the same trap at the moment. 

Time for a fresh face on my computer, and I'm not switching to any Linux OS variant. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Better windows handeling

Auto hdr

android apps on windows (great for 2 in 1)

Better looks

Generally better hdr handeling, fixing the major issues with it on 10

bettet windows store, which came out on launch, win10 gets it in several months

comes with windows terminal app, dont have to install it later

The fact that it will get feature updates first

Ill be ugrading when i can

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I'm not in a rush to upgrade. However I love to test new operating systems and would rather have an idea of what it's like before actually switching to it as my daily driver.

To add on what has been said:

If you have a touch screen device, under Windows 11 you have gestures to navigate the OS, and window hit areas are now reachable. Under Win10, your chances in scaling a window is less then winning the lottery. The touch keyboard is significantly faster and significantly more responsive now. 

The OS is significantly more clean, more organized, ends duplicated apps, and you no longer live in this Metro + partial Fluent Design salad it was before. Sure you have some remaining elements, but all confirmed to be updated from what I can see in the next update (or sooner if you are in the Insider) at least the main areas commonly interacted with have been updated.

The side by side by side snap (3 window) is also a nice feature to have natively. As well has independent background per virtual desktop.

I think Microsoft has done a fantastic job. Last time they did such a good job it was with Win7. 

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I think Microsoft has done a fantastic job. Last time they did such a good job it was with Win7. 

I am still on Windows 7,i just hate Windows 10 so much and Windows 11 is even worse.

My next OS will be Linux.

I am a power user,and use my PC as a workstation.

I like to have control over the OS,and i want maximum performance i can get from the OS.

Microsoft's "we know best what's good for you so you are not allowed to touch it" attitude in addition to bloatware that decimate performance,

And the growing privacy issues - Windows 10 and 11 are no go for me.

And trying to fix those issues after every update is a hassle i don't want to deal with.

And not to talk about how i despise the GUI of both of them.

I truly hate Microsoft's new offerings.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I am still on Windows 7,i just hate Windows 10 so much and Windows 11 is even worse.

My next OS will be Linux.

I am a power user,and use my PC as a workstation.

I like to have control over the OS,and i want maximum performance i can get from the OS.

Sounds to me you need MS-DOS. Great control of your system, you even get to park the HDD head before you shutdown.  No layer designs gives you every drop of performance. No OpenGL nor DirectX, a big layer not required, when you can code your games really at the barebone level with the level. 

Microsoft's "we know best what's good for you so you are not allowed to touch it"

That is actually the goal of the OS. It is to abstract the system core functionality...it is even in the name... operating system.. operates your system.

attitude in addition to bloatware that decimate performance,

They are less apps.  Software role is to push hardware, was always the case until a few years ago due to lack of competition in the CPU space which prevented software to take advantage of things as it were limited by lack of hardware innovations.

And the growing privacy issues - Windows 10 and 11 are no go for me.

Telemetry data is the way you do software development. Ubuntu has it, every large website has it, Nvidia drivers has it, and more. Just like that. There is no personal information gathered (at least nothing intentional) and no information to identify you directly. Unanimously collected and stored, to generate graphs and heat maps. Beside crash reports (which has been there since XP). Also, Win7 also has telemetry data enabled as well. 

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Sounds to me you need MS-DOS. Great control of your system, you even get to park the HDD head before you shutdown.  No layer designs gives you every drop of performance. No OpenGL nor DirectX, a big layer not required, when you can code your games really at the barebone level with the level. 

Obviously i want reasonable amount of control and practical experience that supports the software i use.

That is actually the goal of the OS. It is to abstract the system core functionality...it is even in the name... operating system.. operates your system.

If a user doesn't want to Microsoft dictate when the OS will update it self,and want to update it manually.

If a user wants control over background tasks and to remove bloatware,and completely disable telemetry and all of those stuff without a hassle.

If a user doesn't want to install a certain update and skip it.

It's reasonable for a user to want the control for those functions of the OS.

They are less apps.  Software role is to push hardware, was always the case until a few years ago due to lack of competition in the CPU space which prevented software to take advantage of things as it were limited by lack of hardware innovations.

???????

How is bloatware related to that.

Telemetry data is the way you do software development.

Microsoft developed many OSes without forcing it onto their customers.

It used to be optional and the default was off.

Ubuntu has it, every large website has it, Nvidia drivers has it, and more. Just like that. There is no personal information gathered (at least nothing intentional) and no information to identify you directly.

It is for me to decide whether it will run or not.

My PC my rules.

By the way i deleted the telemetry service of NVIDIA and there is no network activity from the NVIDIA stuff on my PC.

Also, Win7 also has telemetry data enabled as well. 

Depends if you installed the update that automatically enables it,because the default before the update is off and the OS asks you if you want to participate in it - it gives you choice.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

16 minutes ago, Vishera said:
36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Telemetry data is the way you do software development.

Microsoft developed many OSes without forcing it onto their customers.

It used to be optional and the default was off.

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ubuntu has it, every large website has it, Nvidia drivers has it, and more. Just like that. There is no personal information gathered (at least nothing intentional) and no information to identify you directly.

It is for me to decide whether it will run or not.

My PC my rules.

By the way i deleted the telemetry service of NVIDIA and there is no network activity from the NVIDIA stuff on my PC.

It's usually the same people that complain about telemetry that also complain when there's some bug that the company hasn't fixed yet. As a software developer, myself, I don't fault Microsoft at all for making the default on. That helps you make better software and fix problems potentially before they even affect the user. In other words, it's a win-win, for both Microsoft and the end user.

People are so damn paranoid about things that make no difference, anyways. Reminds me of all the scary news reports back in the day about (best creepy voice)... cookies... They're just data. They don't do anything. They're not malicious, and neither is telemetry. Get a freaking grip already.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

19 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

It's usually the same people that complain about telemetry that also complain when there's some bug that the company hasn't fixed yet.

It is not a bad thing.

As a software developer

I am a software developer as well.

I don't fault Microsoft at all for making the default on.

If they want to use my PC for any purpose - they need to ask me.

It uses the resources of my PC and sends the data it collects from my PC to Microsoft,

It's rather selfish to force that upon the user.

My PC my rules,my data my rules.

It's messed up when a developer uses the user's device and data as it were their own without clearly consenting to it.

People are so damn paranoid about things that make no difference, anyways. Reminds me of all the scary news reports back in the day about (best creepy voice)... cookies... They're just data. They don't do anything. They're not malicious, and neither is telemetry. Get a freaking grip already.

Cookies can be malicious.

And i don't like when companies are sniffing around my PC collecting data,doesn't matter if it's for the purpose of improving user experience.

Developers and advertisers need to respect the privacy of the user.

26 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Cookies can be malicious.

And i don't like when companies are sniffing around my PC collecting data,doesn't matter if it's for the purpose of improving user experience.

Developers and advertisers need to respect the privacy of the user.

No. Cookies cannot be malicious. They are just data. They can be no more malicious than a sticky note on your desk. Kind of calls your software dev credentials into question that I have to tell you that.

Don't even get me started on privacy. You have none. Never have. Hate to be the one to break it to you, but there it is. If you want privacy, unplug, go live off the grid in cabin in the woods, and hunt/grow/gather your own food. Anything short of that is hacking at the leaves.

18 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

No. Cookies cannot be malicious. They are just data. They can be no more malicious than a sticky note on your desk. Kind of calls your software dev credentials into question that I have to tell you that.

Advertising cookies are malicious.

18 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Don't even get me started on privacy. You have none. Never have.

You have no idea how wrong you are,you can't even imagine the things i do to keep my privacy,

If it's Firewall rules,how i set up the internet browser and how i handle cookies,browsing habits,the use of script blockers,etc.

11 minutes ago, Vishera said:

You have no idea how wrong you are,you can't even imagine the things i do to keep my privacy,

If it's Firewall rules,how i set up the internet browser and how i handle cookies,browsing habits,etc.

Terrible. You can be track from the favicon loaded by the web browser. The web browsers gives enough details about your system to generate a unique identifier. If you have JS enabled, then Google knows your every move, what you read, how much time you spend reading, what you select, copy and more. All sites have to put Google analytics to have a chance to be on the first page from a page results. That is ignoring the site own telemetry tracking. Disable JS, website doesn't work. Sure you could have addon that disables specifically some tracking, but again, you can't do anything with sites that combined their JS framework with telemetry data, or uses one that has both integrated. And again, they are many more ways to be tracked beside cookies and JS.

Software Firewall rules are useless, an app can just use HTTP/HTTPS port, or simply uses the OS main web browsers that can be integrated into apps, to perform the data transfer, bypassing any firewall rules you may have. And it will show that the application itself not transferring anything out. What you'll need an actual firewall that sniffs the traffic, and of course, you configuring it properly. If you want to be spied on, you can. This is why anti-malware software can only get you so far. It all comes down to trust. You can maybe trust your open source project, but the NSA has already been found interfering with large open source projects and no one noticed. Who knows about other governmental entities.

As said, the moment you are online, you have no privacy. If the data wants to be collected, it can be collected. 

Unlike sites and many software, Microsoft gives you the tools to monitor what it collects. It also documents everything it collects. Microsoft is transparent on that front. Up to you to read through and actually see what you actually care or not. Personally, I have not seen anything of concerns. Now yes, you could say that Microsoft secretly collects more info and doesn't tell you about it. Sure. It comes down to trust. But personally, I trust more Microsoft than Facebook or Google or anyone else with my data. Of course, I am not blindly trusting Microsoft, else I would not check.

The only reason why people freaked out on Windows 10, is because Microsoft was the first large company who re-wrote it's license agreement, and privacy policy in plain language, and provides all the information in front of you. The reality is that it didn't really change from Windows 8, which no one complained. To me, this strategy form Microsoft, has build trust. Is it perfect? No. Would I like an actual opt-out? Sure. 

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If you have JS enabled,

That's why i have a script blocker...

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Software Firewall rules are useless, an app can just use HTTP/HTTPS port

I know that,i am not going to list all the measures i am taking to protect my privacy - because there are too many of them.

I know what i am doing,i just word it poorly.

56 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Advertising cookies are malicious.

Apparently, someone doesn't understand what "malicious" means. You may find them annoying, you might not like that they're used to track you, but they're not malicious. That's like saying GPS in your phone is malicious.

58 minutes ago, Vishera said:

If it's Firewall rules,how i set up the internet browser and how i handle cookies,browsing habits,the use of script blockers,etc.

You have no idea how wrong you are, unfortunately. All of those efforts are effectively a waste of time, as far as privacy is concerned. And, at the end of the day, your habits and buying preferences are still being tracked by stores in the real world. Your net worth, relationship status, address, affiliations, etc. is all easily obtainable public record. You're fighting a losing battle and not very effectively at that.

I'm going W11 early because I will build my new rig this weekend, so why not give W11 a shot on new hardware, I like being adventurous 😃. I've personally encountered very few bugs and crash on W8 and W10 and my experience has been flawless. I like new things and experiences so I'm digging the fresh air MS give to Windows, new ways to use Windows (or any software) is something I'm interested about.

Will it be buggy? Maybe. We'll see, if so then use the feedback app to report to MS. 

"I like my old things, give it back or else riot". Improvise, adapt, overcome.

6 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

And, at the end of the day, your habits and buying preferences are still being tracked by stores in the real world.

How can they track me if my fingerprint is randomized,my cookies are deleted at the end of each browsing session automatically,

And i am not registered to their website?

Also there is the script blocker and the IP address they see changes quite often.

Your net worth, relationship status, address, affiliations, etc. is all easily obtainable public record.

In my country it's protected under privacy laws,they can't know that even if they tried.

You're fighting a losing battle and not very effectively at that.

I have the upper hand in this battle

10 minutes ago, Vishera said:

How can they track me if my fingerprint is randomized,my cookies are deleted at the end of each browsing session automatically,

I've read all your posts and I have a question : Why aren't you already on Linux? Seems like you are really afraid of not being in control of every bit that exits and enters your computer. I get it, privacy and stuff, I myself make extra precautions about that but you it's on a level that is borderline crazy to me (I don't say that to be mean, just curious). If being in control of every aspect is vital for you, why you didn't put Windows on a black box? Like that you won't be under MS "great scheme" and will satisfy your privacy and control standard.

18 minutes ago, Maill said:

Why aren't you already on Linux?

I am considering it,but not all of the programs i use worked there.

I tried Arch,and i like it.

I will definitely give Linux another try.

Seems like you are really afraid of not being in control of every bit that exits and enters your computer. I get it, privacy and stuff, I myself make extra precautions about that but you it's on a level that is borderline crazy to me (I don't say that to be mean, just curious).

I guess you are right,my need for privacy and control is stronger than that of the average person.

But don't we all want privacy and control in the operating systems we use?

If being in control of every aspect is vital for you, why you didn't put Windows on a black box? Like that you won't be under MS "great scheme" and will satisfy your privacy and control standard.

Put Windows on a black box?,Can you elaborate on that?

I have no idea what that is.