globalFoundries public IPO

AthrunZ

Summary

GlobalFoundries, one of the largest chip manufacturers has begun the process of filing for an IPO

globalFoundries web page

Quotes

Malta, NY, October 4, 2021 – GlobalFoundries® (GF®), a global leader in feature-rich semiconductor manufacturing, today announced that it has publicly filed a registration statement on Form F-1 with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”) relating to the proposed initial public offering of its ordinary shares.

My thoughts

Given the gangbusters year semiconductors has had with the pandemic, and no end in sight to the shortage, now seems like a great opportunity to enter into the public space. This means they will finally be publicly compared to the gorillas like TSMC and Samsung not just by their semiconductor products but also financially. 

Sources

globalFoundries web page

Huh, ig Intel did not buy GloFo

Well, this should be interesting nonetheless

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

7 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Yeah, it pretty much nixes the rumor that Intel would buy GF, and also confirms that Intel will be building their foundry business up themselves (eg without buying another one)

4 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

4 hours ago, AthrunZ said:

Yeah, it pretty much nixes the rumor that Intel would buy GF, and also confirms that Intel will be building their foundry business up themselves (eg without buying another one)

GloFo had been planning the IPO for a while. The Intel rumors were either Intel knowing this and "kicking the tires" before it happened OR some group involved with the IPO trying to push the launch price up. Or both.