LowLANder - LLT x Ghost Town Living

webshark25

Should LTT make this happen?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should LTT Make this happen?

• Yes
    • No

I'm not sure if anyone else is familiar with the Ghost Town Living YT channel.聽

He did a video a while ago playing Minecraft in an Abandoned Mineshaft (although it's unlisted currently for some reason).聽Anyway he owns a ghost town in California named Cerro Gordo with an operating hoist. They have problems with radios communicating with the hoist operator when inside the cage. I wonder if it would be possible for LTT to do a collab with them and try to install a long distance WiFi solution in the manway or something to help them out?聽

It would be really awesome to see a v2 of HighLANder (for those who've been following LTT for a long time) but this time hundreds of feet underground this time 馃榾.聽

What are your thoughts?

I see this being filled with issues, including employee safety.聽

I think I've seen this YT channel, and while cool, I don't believe the guy that bought it is an engineer.

It's also pretty likely that they don't have the same audience so the colab isn't really worthwhile.聽

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, webshark25 said:

He did a video a while ago playing Minecraft in an Abandoned Mineshaft

I think a mine shaft is kind of cheating. Kind of like flying in some aircraft for the highest LAN party.

For me it'd have to be some natural location, so a cave for instance would count.

Says level 200 at some point of that video. If US level depths go in same way as Finnish ones, thats 200ft under sea level, or the 0 level which might not be sea level. So about 60m deep. If they take HighLANder route, its actually super-easy. Powerbank, wireless access point and some laptops. There are even bit deeper museum spaces they could use to make it easier. Or visit even deeper, active mines.

WiFi isn't that hard either. It just requires some powerful repeaters to expand network. Much more feasible way of doing thing would be fibre optic connection. If you want internet. But regular radiophones or even landline would do same thing. So how things are done in modern mine anyway.

If they are having trouble with radios, there must be some strong magnetic ore still in that mine. So why would WiFi work any better? It uses same radio frequencies as radiophones would. My vote goes for fibre line.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Says level 200 at some point of that video. If US level depths go in same way as Finnish ones, thats 200ft under sea level, or the 0 level which might not be sea level.

Typically here, the level is elevation yeah. I work on the 850 level here, so 850 feet above sea level. Our mine goes up to around 2200 feet, and down to the -250.

13 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Much more feasible way of doing thing would be fibre optic connection. If you want internet. But regular radiophones or even landline would do same thing.

Fiber is how we're set up here as well. Then we have various APs scattered across the mine. I don't know actuals on what or where, I'm not in IT.

As for the radio, I haven't watched the video so I'm not sure how they have it set up. If they're using Walkie Talkies, they're not doing it correctly. Our mine is fairly low concentration (We're happy for 0.25 ounces to the ton, highest I've seen is 0.49 oz/ton for gold) and they just won't work well. Even when people try to bring drones and stuff out here there's just too much interference. Granted we've got 4160V and 16kV underground. What we have, and most big mines here use are VHF or UHF radios.聽https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_us/products/two-way-radios/analog-business-radios/discontinued/pr400.html#tabproductinfo

We have to have a FCC license to run them, and adhere to FCC rules on them. We've got antennas on surface, and then underground we use "leaky feeder". It's basically just a wire that is used as an antenna that runs through all the headings and levels to get reception everywhere.

Edit:

Allows for cool things like this. That loader is being operated by someone on surface. About 13km away聽

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post.聽

Project Hot Box

CPU聽13900k, Motherboard聽Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM聽CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC,Case聽Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tb,聽CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i,聽Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator,聽Displays聽Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard聽Mountain Everest Max,聽Mouse聽Mountain Makalu 67, Sound聽AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR聽

Oppbevaring

CPU聽i9-9900k,聽Motherboard,聽ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8)聽GPUs聽Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080,聽Case聽Mining Frame, 2x聽Storage聽Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB,聽PSU聽Corsair RM1000x and RM850x,聽Cooling聽Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

Typically here, the level is elevation yeah. I work on the 850 level here, so 850 feet above sea level. Our mine goes up to around 2200 feet, and down to the -250.

Fiber is how we're set up here as well. Then we have various APs scattered across the mine. I don't know actuals on what or where, I'm not in IT.

As for the radio, I haven't watched the video so I'm not sure how they have it set up. If they're using Walkie Talkies, they're not doing it correctly. Our mine is fairly low concentration (We're happy for 0.25 ounces to the ton, highest I've seen is 0.49 oz/ton for gold) and they just won't work well. Even when people try to bring drones and stuff out here there's just too much interference. Granted we've got 4160V and 16kV underground. What we have, and most big mines here use are VHF or UHF radios.聽https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_us/products/two-way-radios/analog-business-radios/discontinued/pr400.html#tabproductinfo

We have to have a FCC license to run them, and adhere to FCC rules on them. We've got antennas on surface, and then underground we use "leaky feeder". It's basically just a wire that is used as an antenna that runs through all the headings and levels to get reception everywhere.

Thanks for backing my take based on very few times inside working mine (Lohja limestone mine, -350m at deepest). What I do remember from that, back in 2013, was that we had radiophones to contact control room, machine operators and us two geologists driving around.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Thanks for backing my take based on very few times inside working mine (Lohja limestone mine, -350m at deepest). What I do remember from that, back in 2013, was that we had radiophones to contact control room, machine operators and us two geologists driving around.

No problem. Once the infrastructure is set up, it's a really cool system. I'm a 4.25 mile drive from surface right now and some 2000 feet below the top of the mountain typing this.

@webshark25That idea is probably too expensive and complicated for LTT. Once you start talking about internet and all that underground, you have to think power. It's hard to get power underground. Since there's no ventilation聽in the mine on that video there's no room for running a diesel generator underground. Now you're looking at running power wires through the mine to get where they need to be. Big losses on low voltage. Now you need high voltage and step down transformers (MPCs is what we call them). You could run ventilation, but then you're looking for a vent fan like this聽https://www.industrialfansdirect.com/products/airflo-tube-axial-duct-fan-36-inch-17620-cfm-3-phase-direct-drive-ndl36-g-3-t-national-fan-co聽, the vent bag to actually take fresh air to where you're working (the yellow tube in the spoiler below) at $260 per 50 foot section. Vent bag is also a consumable. It gets torn, ripped and broken easily.聽

Some mines, like the one I work at can get around a lot of this by using 2 portals. We have natural airflow that goes through the mine, then at each level we use vent bag and fans to take fresh air to the faces.聽

Once you get around the air and electricity problem, you've got water. Even though that video looks dry, it's very humid. You need APs and hardware that are water proof or everything will get soaked inside out. Especially with heat cycles. Once a month, I change the desiccant聽packets in my computer. They're still soaked by the time I do it, but that's how often I'm told to.聽

Then you also have to think about ground support. The second picture I posted, that chicken wire and the square metal plates are holding the mine up. They've got none. And their rock has some horrible lines in it. (picture 3) Those cracks and voids are slips. There's nothing but gravity and a little bit of friction holding those rocks there...above their ladder....above their head when they're climbing up. It looks like you could peel back about 3 feet of the rib(wall) there by hand. And that's all over in their mine. Run a jackleg in there for a week or two, clean it up and bolt it up, or run timbers in there and do some timber sets and call it good. Timber sets would make the drift awfully tight, so you'd probably want to breast down a bit to make room and square up the tunnels.

TLDR: I wouldn't trust that mine, let alone have Linus go in there for extended amounts of time with a camera crew and bulky equipment. There's a reason he brought a ton of recovery and safety gear, then just a laptop and a GoPro.

Spoiler

MineVent_750x475_624_390_80_c1_c_c.jpg20210413_141659.thumb.jpg.32ea9a2deef165e08e84696f32d5e5cc.jpg

image.png.3ce885e3a3bfce7519204160adec5cd6.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post.聽

Project Hot Box

CPU聽13900k, Motherboard聽Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM聽CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC,Case聽Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tb,聽CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i,聽Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator,聽Displays聽Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard聽Mountain Everest Max,聽Mouse聽Mountain Makalu 67, Sound聽AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR聽

Oppbevaring

CPU聽i9-9900k,聽Motherboard,聽ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8)聽GPUs聽Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080,聽Case聽Mining Frame, 2x聽Storage聽Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB,聽PSU聽Corsair RM1000x and RM850x,聽Cooling聽Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?