Looking for opinions on these 3 laptops

Hi all, I just wanted to ask for opinions on a laptop, as one seems to be definitely in my future. Realistically, the laptop would be for the wife, and I'd say it would get light to moderate use. Main uses would be for zoom meeting, streaming other zoom meeting through the steam link to the tv, and very occasional gaming (Fall Guys, Rocket League, or Cemu emulator). 

The two laptops I've had in the past have been on the lower end. What my wife currently uses frustrates her alot. It was a laptop I got out of desperation a long time ago. It came with windows 8, which I updated immediately to windows 10. It never preformed super well, but it served it's purpose, but I think it's time for something a little more modern. 

For budget I have in mind $700-$1000. For sure a dedicated gpu. Ideally a 17 inch screen, but not necessary. Here are the three I came up with:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600H Processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

17 inch Asus, core i5, rtx 3050 ti

Acer nitro 5, core i5, gtx 1650

I'm just having trouble deciding between these models. Is the rtx 3050 better then the gtx 1650? Also, not do these cpus compare? I've never been too familiar with the intel cpus, I've always had amds. 

Really, I'm not sure if these are reasonable deals (the one with the 3050ti is discounted $200) or if I should wait for black friday. Really, somehow I feel like black friday won't be spectacular, but I could be wrong. Any opinions are welcome, thank you!

With a bit of luck a lenovo legion 5 with a 3050ti and 5600h would fit in your budget which would be by far the best.

But since this is just relatively easy to run games you don't need a high end laptop here. So even a last gen legion 5 with an amd ryzen cpu would be great and they do sell for a fair bit less.

The tuf is the best here but it's a tuf and they are a bit lacking in the cooling department and well the chassis and everything you interact with isn't great at all on them. Either way spec wise all of these laptops will do. But your first one isn't a link so I don't know what laptop that is.

1 minute ago, ShreyashPatil said:

AMD 5600 and I5 10600k has similar performance and AMD is tad better (https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-10600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/4072vs4084)

RTX3060 ti will give a good performance.(https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3060-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1650/4090vs4039)

so find a system with AMD and 3050

Those are desktop cpu's and cpubenchmark is unreliable at best.

Those are also desktop cards you are comparing and it's not even the correct one to begin with. Also cpubenchmark is as I said at best unreliable.

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

But your first one isn't a link so I don't know what laptop that is.

Thank you for your opinion! Part of the difficulty is just not knowing too much about the laptop brands, but I appreciate it, thank you!

And sorry about the link, I'm on my phone currently, I think I copy pasted wrong. Here it is:

Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15 15.6" Laptop, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) Display, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H Processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD Storage, Windows 10H, 82K20015US, Shadow Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YKHGKTV/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_HMYAHR6K1SF5MZRGPDKP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

7 minutes ago, mishmish said:

Thank you for your opinion! Part of the difficulty is just not knowing too much about the laptop brands, but I appreciate it, thank you!

And sorry about the link, I'm on my phone currently, I think I copy pasted wrong. Here it is:

Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15 15.6" Laptop, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) Display, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H Processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD Storage, Windows 10H, 82K20015US, Shadow Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YKHGKTV/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_HMYAHR6K1SF5MZRGPDKP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah skip don't get a ideapad.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Yeah skip don't get a ideapad

You mind if I ask why that would be?

7 minutes ago, mishmish said:

You mind if I ask why that would be?

Poor cooling, poor screen, poor keyboard. Just overall a low quality laptop.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

Poor cooling, poor screen, poor keyboard. Just overall a low quality laptop.

Thanks for the reply, I'll cross that one off. 

What about the build quality of an msi laptop?

I saw this one here:

Msi gf63

The reviews seem solid. What makes me a bit nervous about the other two laptops from best buy that I linked to above, is that there are alot of reviews that complain about getting a bsod, especially on the 17 inch with the 3050ti. The msi here seems like it has decent reviews. Sorry for all the questions, like I said, it's difficult narrowing it down to a brand. 

7 hours ago, mishmish said:

Thanks for the reply, I'll cross that one off. 

What about the build quality of an msi laptop?

I saw this one here:

Msi gf63

The reviews seem solid. What makes me a bit nervous about the other two laptops from best buy that I linked to above, is that there are alot of reviews that complain about getting a bsod, especially on the 17 inch with the 3050ti. The msi here seems like it has decent reviews. Sorry for all the questions, like I said, it's difficult narrowing it down to a brand. 

It has the exact same issues as the ideapad but even worse cooling to boot. It has decent reviews because it looks more gamery basically and that is what people expect from a cheap gaming laptop.

Yeah the tuf is kinda a crap laptop but honestly one of the best you brought up till now. The acer is ok too.

On 10/2/2021 at 2:37 AM, mishmish said:

$700-$1000

are you buying in US?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 hours ago, genexis_x said:
On 10/1/2021 at 11:37 AM, mishmish said:

$700-$1000

are you buying in US?

That's right, yes, sorry for not specifying

On 10/2/2021 at 1:35 AM, jaslion said:

Yeah the tuf is kinda a crap laptop but honestly one of the best you brought up till now. The acer is ok too.

8 hours ago, genexis_x said:

are you buying in US?

Just a little update with narrowing it down. I haven't made the purchase, but this seems to be the most likely candidate:

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" FHD IPS Display, AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, Webcam, Backlit Keyboard, Wi-Fi 6, USB-C, HDMI, GeForce GTX 1650 Ti, Windows 10 Home, 8GB Memory, 256GB PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L27GRVM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_B0YAAD188E2SFFMJWR4T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

6 hours ago, mishmish said:

Just a little update with narrowing it down. I haven't made the purchase, but this seems to be the most likely candidate:

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" FHD IPS Display, AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, Webcam, Backlit Keyboard, Wi-Fi 6, USB-C, HDMI, GeForce GTX 1650 Ti, Windows 10 Home, 8GB Memory, 256GB PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L27GRVM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_B0YAAD188E2SFFMJWR4T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There ya go. It's last gen but it is BY FAR the better quality laptop here. Yeah it's slower than the tuf and such but she isn't doing anything really intensive any way and this laptop doesn't have a bad part about it so I'd just get it. Might wanna upgrade it to 16gb of ram tho.

19 hours ago, jaslion said:

There ya go. It's last gen but it is BY FAR the better quality laptop here. Yeah it's slower than the tuf and such but she isn't doing anything really intensive any way and this laptop doesn't have a bad part about it so I'd just get it. Might wanna upgrade it to 16gb of ram tho.

Hey, thanks so much for the advice. Personally, I don't mind one bit that it's last gen. The laptop my wife currently uses is a Toshiba satellite with an amd a6, 8gb ram, no ssd, it's pretty painful to use haha, so this will be a massive upgrade. I did have in mind about adding another 8gb, but that will be down the line. Thank you very much again!

37 minutes ago, mishmish said:

Hey, thanks so much for the advice. Personally, I don't mind one bit that it's last gen. The laptop my wife currently uses is a Toshiba satellite with an amd a6, 8gb ram, no ssd, it's pretty painful to use haha, so this will be a massive upgrade. I did have in mind about adding another 8gb, but that will be down the line. Thank you very much again!

Yeah it's a massive upgrade and this device was a great laptop last year one of the go to's. Nowadays it's heavily discounted but for sure no slouch and and AMAZING value option.

On 10/1/2021 at 8:37 PM, mishmish said:

Hi all, I just wanted to ask for opinions on a laptop, as one seems to be definitely in my future. Realistically, the laptop would be for the wife, and I'd say it would get light to moderate use. Main uses would be for zoom meeting, streaming other zoom meeting through the steam link to the tv, and very occasional gaming (Fall Guys, Rocket League, or Cemu emulator). 

The two laptops I've had in the past have been on the lower end. What my wife currently uses frustrates her alot. It was a laptop I got out of desperation a long time ago. It came with windows 8, which I updated immediately to windows 10. It never preformed super well, but it served it's purpose, but I think it's time for something a little more modern. 

For budget I have in mind $700-$1000. For sure a dedicated gpu. Ideally a 17 inch screen, but not necessary. Here are the three I came up with:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600H Processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

17 inch Asus, core i5, rtx 3050 ti

Acer nitro 5, core i5, gtx 1650

I'm just having trouble deciding between these models. Is the rtx 3050 better then the gtx 1650? Also, not do these cpus compare? I've never been too familiar with the intel cpus, I've always had amds. 

Really, I'm not sure if these are reasonable deals (the one with the 3050ti is discounted $200) or if I should wait for black friday. Really, somehow I feel like black friday won't be spectacular, but I could be wrong. Any opinions are welcome, thank you!

I had a Nitro 5, and after a while, I had just issues, broken fans, I lost screws from the backplate every day and so on… I would not buy that one again…