Best Buy Geek Squad warranty covers OLED burn in

Orfieus

I know this looks like an advertisement but I just saw LTT video on OLED Burn-In today and I just wanted to say Best Buy Geek Squad covers OLED burn in (USA and CDN I know for sure). I managed to get the BX last year for $500 off and I used the savings to buy the 4yr Geek Squad plan

I still take precautions, I hide the task bar (I have a desktop clock on a spare monitor), wallpaper is black and I changed my mouse cursor to black with a white outline (which makes it SUPER easy to see now BTW)

Enjoy!

edit: its getting to the point that I need to start being less cautions, I spent $400 on the warranty so I need to burn in this TV in before the 4yrs is up to get my monies worth 🙂

12 minutes ago, Orfieus said:

I know this looks like an advertisement but I just saw LTT video on OLED Burn-In today and I just wanted to say Best Buy Geek Squad covers OLED burn in (USA and CDN I know for sure). I managed to get the BX last year for $500 off and I used the savings to buy the 4yr Geek Squad plan

I still take precautions, I hide the task bar (I have a desktop clock on a spare monitor), wallpaper is black and I changed my mouse cursor to black with a white outline (which makes it SUPER easy to see now BTW)

Enjoy!

edit: its getting to the point that I need to start being less cautions, I spent $400 on the warranty so I need to burn in this TV in before the 4yrs is up to get my monies worth 🙂

Yeah. The reason I'm not jumping to OLED because of this. It's kinda like Plasma TV back in the 2000's. IPS proves to be the best LCD panel, while it's not as fast as VA panel for refresh rate.

Got a few AMOLED screen phone last time. The reason why AMOLED flop as well.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

5 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Yeah. The reason I'm not jumping to OLED because of this. It's kinda like Plasma TV back in the 2000's. IPS proves to be the best LCD panel, while it's not as fast as VA panel for refresh rate.

The reason I am positing this is so if someone really wants to game on a OLED (console/PC) but is terrified of burn-in then get the warranty. As I said with the warranty you want to burn in the TV by the 4th year

8 minutes ago, Orfieus said:

The reason I am positing this is so if someone really wants to game on a OLED (console/PC) but is terrified of burn-in then get the warranty. As I said with the warranty you want to burn in the TV by the 4th year

I see. It's good that some one will honour the warranty. In Malaysia, even if you bought extended warranty, the shop manager usually don't entertain you at all. They will find lots of excuse, such as we don't cover the panel. I bought Surface Pro and I bought extended warranty, and guess what, screen and battery are not covered. Guess I should read all the terms and condition carefully.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

How much was the TV or monitor? 

If it was $1000, I'm sure a similar model will cost $400 in 4 years (or much better models will be available). So even if you get to claim the warranty, in year 4 you only get a $400 TV. So they got a free loan from you. 

And you say their warranty covers this. Do you know for a fact they don't weasel out of that due to some technicality? That is the real value of a warranty - how they actually handle that. 

All those insurances are designed to make money for the seller. Many people lose their receipt, don't remember they have a warranty, sell the device, or the warranty has lots of loopholes. 

And I wouldn't buy a technology with known problems and then get a warranty. I rather get a good technology and just the standard manufacturer warranty. I've had TVs, monitors for decades and still have to see one that fails. With ever increasing screensizes and resolution, I actually want them to fail after 10 years to buy a new one - but they don't. If I include extended family, there never was a failed TV or monitor. But lots of TVs and monitors that now are too small and will just be given away since they are obsolete despite still working like on day 1. in fact, these days we are replacing a 43" HD TV with a 65" 4K TV and I see no market to make it worth selling and if we are lucky someone we know will take it for free and pick it up so we don't have to deal with disposal. The thing still is fine, just too small and too low resolution to use as monitor. 

At work we still have 15" LCD screens around that maybe are 10+ years old. they are on all day - still look OK (or as good as a monitor looked like back then. I suspect not as fresh colors, but that wouldn't be a warranty case. Monitors just don't fail. An no normal person goes out of their way to hide the taskbar to save the monitor. Monitors are here to serve us and make our life better - not the other way around 🙂

2 hours ago, HerrKaLeu said:

How much was the TV or monitor? 

If it was $1000, I'm sure a similar model will cost $400 in 4 years (or much better models will be available). So even if you get to claim the warranty, in year 4 you only get a $400 TV. So they got a free loan from you. 

And you say their warranty covers this. Do you know for a fact they don't weasel out of that due to some technicality? That is the real value of a warranty - how they actually handle that. 

All those insurances are designed to make money for the seller. Many people lose their receipt, don't remember they have a warranty, sell the device, or the warranty has lots of loopholes. 

And I wouldn't buy a technology with known problems and then get a warranty. I rather get a good technology and just the standard manufacturer warranty. I've had TVs, monitors for decades and still have to see one that fails. With ever increasing screensizes and resolution, I actually want them to fail after 10 years to buy a new one - but they don't. If I include extended family, there never was a failed TV or monitor. But lots of TVs and monitors that now are too small and will just be given away since they are obsolete despite still working like on day 1. in fact, these days we are replacing a 43" HD TV with a 65" 4K TV and I see no market to make it worth selling and if we are lucky someone we know will take it for free and pick it up so we don't have to deal with disposal. The thing still is fine, just too small and too low resolution to use as monitor. 

At work we still have 15" LCD screens around that maybe are 10+ years old. they are on all day - still look OK (or as good as a monitor looked like back then. I suspect not as fresh colors, but that wouldn't be a warranty case. Monitors just don't fail. An no normal person goes out of their way to hide the taskbar to save the monitor. Monitors are here to serve us and make our life better - not the other way around 🙂

The cost of the warranty depends on the price of the TV, I think after discount it was close to $2k + $400 warranty 

13 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Yep.  NQLED looks promising.  But I'm staying the F away from OLED.  Might be ok for movies.  But as soon as you start gaming on them, you'll get HUD burn in.

3 hours ago, Orfieus said:

The cost of the warranty depends on the price of the TV, I think after discount it was close to $2k + $400 warranty 

So 20%. If we assume a similar device will cost $1K in 4 years (probably much less), insurance cost 40% of the maximum you ever get out of it. Plus time value of money since you pay upfront. At that rate you really hope it will fail. And then you hope they don't have some loopholes, or you still have the receipt and remember it. 

I bet they made more profit on that warranty than they made on the device itself. 

16 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

It's kinda like Plasma TV back in the 2000

My old ass Pioneer Plasma is still going strong. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

19 minutes ago, HerrKaLeu said:

So 20%. If we assume a similar device will cost $1K in 4 years (probably much less), insurance cost 40% of the maximum you ever get out of it. Plus time value of money since you pay upfront. At that rate you really hope it will fail. And then you hope they don't have some loopholes, or you still have the receipt and remember it. 

I bet they made more profit on that warranty than they made on the device itself. 

The device won't be sold on most stores in 4 years. He'll get 2k+taxes back to put toward whatever he wants.

If we're going to use anecdotes as deterants then I can say in opposition that there are times when stores lose money on protection plans, and in my experience,  Best Buy actually takes care of customers more often than they don't. Though I'm sure all the stories you hear online aren't biased or withholding information.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

1 hour ago, WildDagwood said:

The device won't be sold on most stores in 4 years. He'll get 2k+taxes back to put toward whatever he wants.

If we're going to use anecdotes as deterants then I can say in opposition that there are times when stores lose money on protection plans, and in my experience,  Best Buy actually takes care of customers more often than they don't. Though I'm sure all the stories you hear online aren't biased or withholding information.

Do you have a source that this is how they handle warranty? If so, one could buy the device, and for $400 return it after 4 years and make up some BS reason and get the original purchase price back. So basically pay $400 for 4 years of use. 

Almost all warranties in all industries work one of these ways. I've experienced all of them:

- They repair your device. For electronics that may be unlikely, but feasible to replace the PSU or whatever is broken

- They give you a new device of same type. If the same type is not existent anymore, They may give you a current model that may even have some better features. For example if your now 4 year old HD 43" TV broke, you get a new 4K 43" TV. 

- They give you a refurbished device (a return, or one they repaired under warranty)

- Depending on industry, manufacturers hold a few % of the devices back for warranty. But they do that only for a limited time. 

- They may give you a voucher for one of their products. that isn't the worst option. Your old DVD-player may be broken, but now in 2021 you may rather put that money into a TV from the same manufacturer or store. 

That way they fulfill their promise to make you whole. Only if all of the above are not possible would they give you cash. But it is 99.999999% unlikely they just give you cash right away. If you claim they give you cash, please cite the bestbuy warranty condition that clearly states that. Also state who decides if an issue is a warranty claim, or will be blamed on "unintended use" or some other BS. 

Yes, in some cases a warranty may lose the store money. But overall, they make a lot of profit. Otherwise they wouldn't go out of their way to sell you that. Same way the car dealer makes so much effort to sell you added paint protection. 

2 hours ago, WildDagwood said:

11 minutes ago, HerrKaLeu said:

Do you have a source that this is how they handle warranty?

Looks like they have the option to do that, but they have other, more likely options as well.

image.png.503b9302c726d39101f8372c2744efea.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

Looks like they have the option to do that, but they have other, more likely options as well.

image.png.503b9302c726d39101f8372c2744efea.png

None of that actually guarantees cash (like in US-dollars) in the customer's hands. Option 7.b. just says that is an option Best-Buy has if they chose so. Not that the customer can insist on cash. They only will hand out cash if nothing else is possible at all. They will offer some or all of the other options first. They will do what is the easiest and cheapest to Best-buy. 

If you think those insurances are great.... nothing wrong with your opinion. Go and buy them. But if you try to sell them here to people, make sure you get commission. 

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

but they have other, more likely options as well.

13 minutes ago, HerrKaLeu said:

ust says that is an option Best-Buy has if they chose so

Correct. None of them say anything about cash. Store credit, gift card or check.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, HerrKaLeu said:

Do you have a source that this is how they handle warranty? If so, one could buy the device, and for $400 return it after 4 years and make up some BS reason and get the original purchase price back. So basically pay $400 for 4 years of use. 

Almost all warranties in all industries work one of these ways. I've experienced all of them:

- They repair your device. For electronics that may be unlikely, but feasible to replace the PSU or whatever is broken

- They give you a new device of same type. If the same type is not existent anymore, They may give you a current model that may even have some better features. For example if your now 4 year old HD 43" TV broke, you get a new 4K 43" TV. 

- They give you a refurbished device (a return, or one they repaired under warranty)

- Depending on industry, manufacturers hold a few % of the devices back for warranty. But they do that only for a limited time. 

- They may give you a voucher for one of their products. that isn't the worst option. Your old DVD-player may be broken, but now in 2021 you may rather put that money into a TV from the same manufacturer or store. 

That way they fulfill their promise to make you whole. Only if all of the above are not possible would they give you cash. But it is 99.999999% unlikely they just give you cash right away. If you claim they give you cash, please cite the bestbuy warranty condition that clearly states that. Also state who decides if an issue is a warranty claim, or will be blamed on "unintended use" or some other BS. 

Yes, in some cases a warranty may lose the store money. But overall, they make a lot of profit. Otherwise they wouldn't go out of their way to sell you that. Same way the car dealer makes so much effort to sell you added paint protection. 

Sorry, I should have explained further but didn't have time. The T.V. will be serviced (if able) first, however, if the parts aren't able to be sourced or the repair is deemed not cost-effective to repair then it will move straight to credit or in-store exchange for the value of the T.V. (at the time of purchase) and any taxes. I can say from personal experience this is the case and can say further I've seen stores move to an in-store exchange regardless, depending on the client and if they're a prick. No refurbish or open box items, however I also need to address that I never said cash back. Just that he would get that amount to put towards a new device. It effectively gets loaded to a credit and if they have no need for a T.V. they could use it toward something else.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

13 hours ago, Velcade said:

My old ass Pioneer Plasma is still going strong. 

Good for you. My company uses plasma as a sign board in the lobby last time. After the TV switch off, you can still literally read of the ghosting image from the screen up close.

5 hours ago, comander said:

OLEDs are at the very top of the chart followed by high end VA panels like the QN90a and the H9G. 
IPS are a dash slower. Old/low end VA panels are at the bottom though. 

Indeed. Though the new VA panel seems promising, I haven't come across one yet. I still feel (for now) IPS are very easily accessible for the time being. I don't mind refresh rate, so I'm quite content with slower IPS than VA.

14 hours ago, WildDagwood said:

Sorry, I should have explained further but didn't have time. The T.V. will be serviced (if able) first, however, if the parts aren't able to be sourced or the repair is deemed not cost-effective to repair then it will move straight to credit or in-store exchange for the value of the T.V. (at the time of purchase) and any taxes. I can say from personal experience this is the case and can say further I've seen stores move to an in-store exchange regardless, depending on the client and if they're a prick. No refurbish or open box items, however I also need to address that I never said cash back. Just that he would get that amount to put towards a new device. It effectively gets loaded to a credit and if they have no need for a T.V. they could use it toward something else.

Ya they give me credit to get a new TV which means I HAVE to burn it in by the 4th year. Right now I am super cautious, only using the OLED as a spare gaming monitor but by yr3 I will start using it as my main monitor and if I still haven't burned it in by yr4 I will start to take more...drastic measures

I'd like to point out the #1 fear with OLED is burn in and by getting the GS warranty your #1 fear is NOT burning it in, which is why I made this post

On 9/30/2021 at 6:57 PM, Orfieus said:

Enjoy!

lmfao, thats why i have an odyssey g7, 1440p, 240hz, and thank god its not oled, screen burn in go brrrr

12 hours ago, comander said:

The only thing that really seems to be true is that OLED is amazing when it's new. 

Yeah, they are quite amazing, with true black. It reminds me of plasma in certain ways. However, to tell you the truth, plasma can actually exceed in refresh rate as well. If you tune the intensity of the electron gun higher, it will take less time to energised the phosphorus pixel, which means it could potential tune for speed. Too bad because of its bulkiness, too dim in bright environment making it less idea. Also, firing the electron gun also consume way more power. We were told to dim our sign board light when we install plasma TV back then.

OLED is not bad as it can absorb massive light making it very dark. But because of the composition of the OLED, it won't last long. Still, I guess maybe with more research or maybe even better refinement of the element, it can be the best we could ever have. Though, maybe not yet in this time.

Just my two pennies, but if you try to return it under extended warranty they might just run the buil-in pixel refresh. It will eliminate burn-in... by wearing out all the other pixels equally.

So, as a result you might not be given a new TV, but just the same one with burn-in temporairly emilinated. And you can only do this process a few times, or you'll just wear out all the pixels completely.

In other words, unless you intend to purposely make burn in and then run pixel refresh to wear this panel out you won't get anything out of the $400.

Edit: Since we're on topic of pixel burnt in, I experienced this on a LG phone with LCD display after just 2 years of usage.