Valve Escapes $6.5M Fee Bid In Game Controller IP Row

UnixNight

Summary

Judge ruled that Valve doesn't need to pay for Ironburg inventions lawyers fees as they didn't act unreasonable in defending themselves in the suit.

Quotes

The magistrate judge who oversaw discovery did not award attorney fees to either side in connection with motion practice or have occasion to issue warnings about possible sanctions, which reflects the ordinariness of the discovery squabbles in this matter. The record simply does not support Ironburg’s accusation that Valve engaged in “scorched earth” tactics during the discovery process.

Valve’s defenses to Ironburg’s infringement contentions were far from frivolous, as evidenced by Ironburg’s election not to seek partial summary judgment in advance of trial or judgment as a matter of law on liability before the jury rendered its verdict, and nothing about Valve’s decision to fight Ironburg’s claims at trial and in post-trial motions or its methods of doing so rose to the level of “exceptional” for purposes of § 285. Ironburg’s request for attorney fees is DENIED.

- sourced from the court docs

My thoughts

Might not lead to a Steam Controller 2 but I have high hopes, especially with the Deck coming and the rumors of the Deckard coming too

Sources

https://www.law360.com/technology/articles/1425635/valve-escapes-6-5m-fee-bid-in-game-controller-ip-row

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.wawd.248491/gov.uscourts.wawd.248491.495.0.pdf

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: CDN$ 10292 (CDN$ 3114 with sales)
  • Games owned: 729
  • Games played: 441 (60%)
  • Hours on record: 4,736.7h