Applying thermal compound (smear or smooth)

ManBehrPig

I have seen it done two different ways so far. With Linus, he seems to favor making a small line and just using the weight of the heat sink to spread the compound. Whereas I've seen a new egg guy use a plastic bag to spreads with his finger prior to placing the heat sink. Is one method more reliable than the other or give an advantage in its application?

Depending on the CPU the DOT and then heatsink or line and heatsink weight will do it!.

Just remember you don't need much, Pea amount is more than enough.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

spreading is bad, there was a topic up yesterday showing why its really bad to spread

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Dot in the middle is fine, many other methods are people inventing reasons why their method is better.

(never do this)

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Just put a pea-sized drop at the middle of the heat spreader, mount your cooler, and you are done.

If you are using the stock cooler just install it and run Prime95 or IntelBurnTest for at least 2 hours to melt the thermal paste and get it to spread.

spreading is bad, there was a topic up yesterday showing why its really bad to spread

I've always spread it in 15 years of playing with computers will zero problems, what is so bad about that technique if you don't mind me asking?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I've always spread it in 15 years of playing with computers will zero problems, what is so bad about that technique if you don't mind me asking?

it creates air bubbles under the heatsink,

This was an informational topic for me as well because I'm about to get a 212 evo for my 3570k.

One question I have about pea dot vs rice line is, will one method cover the cores more effectively than the other?

Intel core i5-3570k @ 3.4 GHz - Sapphire Radeon HD7870 Ghz OC Ed 1050/1250 - Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD - G.Skill 8 GB's DDR3-1600 MHz 

Asus Z77-A mobo - Windows 7 64 bit - Corsair raptor HS30 headset - Corsair CX600 600w PSU - CM hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler

It can run crysis.

Ok, so a couple of things have just happened. Went with the line method per Linus' suggestion for my lag 2011 board. While doing so got a little more on there than I intended so I used a cue tip to clean it up a little. Is this as bad as a paper towel, which I know from the tek syndicate video is a no no? Secondly, was I making the small bit of excess worse by trying to wipe some off? Will air bubbles be a big issue because I tried to fuss with it before applying the heat sink?

Question in post above this.

Question in post above this.

its mostly tiny differences, if any with something like that :) and if you were to get issues it will just be high temps and then you can redo it :)

its mostly tiny differences, if any with something like that :) and if you were to get issues it will just be high temps and then you can redo it :)

Thank you.

I've never come across any problems, temps are fine and such so I'll keep doing it my way

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate