Is WD Blue 4TB good for long term photos backup?

Filingo

This is now sold for 59$:

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD40EZAZ-5400RPM-Internal/dp/B087QTVCHH?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_a9acb7e6_81&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Will it be a good idea to buy an enclosure and use with it, something like:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003040922622.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.6.580e497df8CgSI

Or I should stay with RED (that's in WD My Book for example)

If you want something that has the best chance of not losing data, setting up something with raid would be optimal(multiple drives working together).

RED WD drives are a higher tier than the BLUE if I remember correctly. Maybe the only difference initially would be that the BLUE drive would be a newer HDD than the older RED HDD, so there might be some performance improvements solely on the fact that old HDD are usually horrible

1 hour ago, Filingo said:

This is now sold for 59$:

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD40EZAZ-5400RPM-Internal/dp/B087QTVCHH?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_a9acb7e6_81&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Will it be a good idea to buy an enclosure and use with it, something like:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003040922622.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.6.580e497df8CgSI

Or I should stay with RED (that's in WD My Book for example)

If you want a good back up you have to employ the 3-2-1 back up strategy. You need to have 3 copies of your data, on 2 different types of Media (HDD,SSD, Tape, CD, etc), and have one copy off site. 

WD Blue's are just your standard bread and butter desktop hard disk. WD Red's are designed for small NAS and RAID deployments. Keep in mind that RAID is not a backup. Ive used standard Seagate HDD's forever and I still have one from 5 or 6 years ago that I use for my Steam games. I would say any drive should work. BUT dont trust a single drive as a good backup strategy. At the very least I would look in to some form of Cloud storage to be sure, especially if this data is important. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

19 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

If you want something that has the best chance of not losing data, setting up something with raid would be optimal(multiple drives working together).

RED WD drives are a higher tier than the BLUE if I remember correctly. Maybe the only difference initially would be that the BLUE drive would be a newer HDD than the older RED HDD, so there might be some performance improvements solely on the fact that old HDD are usually horrible

Yes, and now they even separated RED to RED and RED PLUS, with RED being SMR and RED PLUS CMR... 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If you want a good back up you have to employ the 3-2-1 back up strategy. You need to have 3 copies of your data, on 2 different types of Media (HDD,SSD, Tape, CD, etc), and have one copy off site. 

WD Blue's are just your standard bread and butter desktop hard disk. WD Red's are designed for small NAS and RAID deployments. Keep in mind that RAID is not a backup. Ive used standard Seagate HDD's forever and I still have one from 5 or 6 years ago that I use for my Steam games. I would say any drive should work. BUT dont trust a single drive as a good backup strategy. At the very least I would look in to some form of Cloud storage to be sure, especially if this data is important. 

Definitely, so I might just buy 2 of these blues.

imagine older generation - what did they do before digital media?

They developed photos from film, put them in albums, and if it's ruined, there is no backup 😷

I just wonder if the WD blue is also less durable.. or it's just a matter of luck with these drives, as I am still using some old 250GB Hitachi drives for some minor backups

WD Red Plus are on sale right now for 74.99 on Newegg.  Good deal.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 minutes ago, Velcade said:

WD Red Plus are on sale right now for 74.99 on Newegg.  Good deal.

Amazon seem to not want to sell for my country! if it was 74.99 on Amazon I would not think twice as I get no import fees.

Newegg don't ship to my country.

Amazon made it 77.99... -_-

Also, I didn't use HDDs for a long time and I understood this 4TB version WD40EZAZ is SMR and I was told it's getting slow when moving large amount of data.

Assuming I'm not transferring 1TB of photos/videos from my phone to the drive, what will I actually see? Will the speed drop from 200 MB/s to like 10 MB/s?