Exiting Apps in iOS Can Drain and Worsen Battery Life

Source

710394.jpg

On computers and other devices, the more software and apps you have running, the more it drains the battery -- that might not be the case for iOS. While it's standard practice by now to close apps that are running on iPhones and other iOS units to preserve the battery's life, writer Scotty Loveless, who worked as a technician in a Genius Bar for two years, claims the contrary.

http://www.overthought.org/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-drain

Yes, it does shut down the app, but what you don't know is that you are actually making your battery life worse if you do this on a regular basis. Let me tell you why.

By closing the app, you take the app out of the phone's RAM . While you think this may be what you want to do, it's not. When you open that same app again the next time you need it, your device has to load it back into memory all over again. All of that loading and unloading puts more stress on your device than just leaving it alone. Plus, iOS closes apps automatically as it needs more memory, so you're doing something your device is already doing for you. You are meant to be the user of your device, not the janitor.

The truth is, those apps in your multitasking menu are not running in the background at all: iOS freezes them where you last left the app so that it's ready to go if you go back. Unless you have enabled Background App Refresh, your apps are not allowed to run in the background unless they are playing music, using location services, recording audio, or the sneakiest of them all: checking for incoming VOIP calls , like Skype. All of these exceptions, besides the latter, will put an icon next to your battery icon to alert you it is running in the background.

Could be true yes. I used to do this but I don't anymore.

I don't notice any difference in battery life at all, or maybe even a better battery life now.

That is pretty common knowledge, only close the apps that you almost never use, keep your apps that you often use running.

lol

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

I literally never close an app unless for some reason it crashes or causes an issue

There are people that constantly open the multitasking menu and close apps for some reason, like super OCD about it, now I have proof to show them how retarded they are

Does this apply to Android as well?

no 

apps in android can do whatever they want in the background, apps in ios are not allowed to run in the  background unless it is a service that requires background updates, like skype checking for messages, music playing in the background etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Same is true for other OS too, surely?

Android equivalent:

As you can see, apps in the paused or stopped state can be removed from system ram by the user or system. If they are destroyed they need to be re loaded into system RAM.

activity_lifecycle.png

Oh all balls this is the activity lifecycle not the app one. CBA to find ithe app one now

Same is true for other OS too, surely?

Android equivalent:

maybe for SOME apps, but there are apps than can do whatever they want in the background, IOS has a restriction on this, also it auto closes down apps which I dont think android does automatically

OSX mavericks does this too to an extent which is cool eg if playing a youtube video and you cover up the video, the sound would play but the computer would stop rendering the video part as it cannot be seen

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii