PC crashes occassionally in games due to CPU overheat

Llian
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Making it intake from the top would help a lot since you have a bad airflow case and there is limited room for air to be taken in or exhausted on multiple sides. Making it take in fresh air even tho restricted will help.

However 75-77c isn't shutdown temperature. Measure it whilst playing overwatch then the gpu is also adding heat to the case. Or was that hw monitor during or shortly after playing overwatch? If that was during then you are NOT having temp issues.

I'd be a LOT more worried about that psu there. Wouldn't be surprised if that is causing an issue.

Hi, I upgraded my PC in March and now run into CPU overheat crashes on occassion. This has at one point resulted in me having to reinstall the OS due to system corruption. While it tends to be only specific games (Overwatch) which cause it to spike up to these temps is this a case of I need to change my hardware, or is there something I can do in the system to stop it reaching these temperature levels and crashing.

The only changes I've done in bios is turn on the DOCP for the ram and enabled resizable BAR. I've also swapped my thermal paste to thermal grizzly Kryonaught.

When building I wasn't able to fit the AIO at the top properly due to the mobo so I used the intel CPU mounting brackets to give the AIO support on both sides as seen in the pic on the link.

Hardware

========

CPU: Ryzen 5900x

Mobo: Asus Hero Crosshair VIII (BIOS Ver. 3801, latest)

GPU: 3080 Strix OC (problem occurs regardles of if at stock or OC'd)

RAM: Corsair dominator 3200 16GBx4 (64GB)

PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 1000W (Occasionally blasts sparks out the back with a popping noise when turned on after being disconected from mains power for a period of time. Not ideal but I leave the mains power on to avoid this).

AIO:Pure Loop 280ml (upgraded the pure wings PWM to silent wings 3 PWM)

Case: BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900

Case fans: 2x140mm intake on the front, 1x140mm intake on the bottom, 1x140mm exhaust on rear, radiator with 2x140mm exhausting on top

SSD: M.2: 970 EVO (Boot Drive) 1TB, Sata 850 Evo 500GB

HDD: Seagate 4TB @7200, Seagate 500GB @5400

OD: ASUS BW-16D1HT

Displays: Dual 24" 1080p@144Hz (VG248QE), XP pen drawing tablet

CPU Tests

======

Ambient Temp:24.9C

Cinebench r23.2

Score:20878

Average Temp: 75C (hit 77C rarely)

3DMark Time Spy Extreme

Average temp 73C

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/66402845

---------------------------

Heres the case layout along with the AIO as it's held on and I've also attached an image from HWMonitor after 2 rounds of the game Overwatch.

https://imgur.com/a/XOTEDNA

The only sugestion I've recieved so far is to swap fans around on the AIO so that they are also intake and not exhaust (and then told by another person it won't make much difference) which I plan to try out over the weekend. Any other ideas are welcome so that I don't eventually fry my CPU.

Please don't change the font colors. In dark mode, your post is completely unreadable.

Screenshot_20210924-065027.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Making it intake from the top would help a lot since you have a bad airflow case and there is limited room for air to be taken in or exhausted on multiple sides. Making it take in fresh air even tho restricted will help.

However 75-77c isn't shutdown temperature. Measure it whilst playing overwatch then the gpu is also adding heat to the case. Or was that hw monitor during or shortly after playing overwatch? If that was during then you are NOT having temp issues.

I'd be a LOT more worried about that psu there. Wouldn't be surprised if that is causing an issue.

*scratches head*

Yeah this makes no sense.

Overwatch isn't that intensive of a game as to tax an AIO-cooled 5900x to thermal shutdown, even more so with the temps you're getting in CineBench and TimeSpy.

Like Jaslion said, keep a monitoring utility running when playing to make sure it's really a temperature issue.

Ok, i demystified the post... you have sparks coming out of your psu?

Well. Stop using the pc immediately and get another psu, preferably a different brand / model, recommend corsair rmx ... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Ok, i demystified the post... you have sparks coming out of your psu?

Well. Stop using the pc immediately and get another psu, preferably a different brand / model, recommend corsair rmx ... 

/Thread

If the PSU looks like a power ranger it's time to RMA

8XKY.gif.0d738afddaa3edf94d3fdd6f567a3e70.gif

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Ahh sorry didnt touch formatting but did copy and paste so might of carried black font over.

OK so go ahead with fan swap and look into swapping out my PSU. Sadly it's one of my original parts so no RMA.

Hotest temps I've seen were overwatch on 1 screen, youtube playing(on Firefox) on my 2nd monitor and that got up to 92C on CPU temp. 

On 9/24/2021 at 2:15 PM, Llian said:

Ahh sorry didnt touch formatting but did copy and paste so might of carried black font over.

OK so go ahead with fan swap and look into swapping out my PSU. Sadly it's one of my original parts so no RMA.

Hotest temps I've seen were overwatch on 1 screen, youtube playing(on Firefox) on my 2nd monitor and that got up to 92C on CPU temp. 

Oh yeah that is because of the gpu heating up the case air. Not a good temp at all either so that can cause shutdowns possibly. I'd change the top fans to intake to help with the temps. Mainly it's a case issue as this is a silence focused case so airflow is restricted. But then the funny thing is that due to worse airflow the fans have to run faster thus be louder to cool the components and then you negate the whole reason for the case :p.

Ok, well I've swapped the fans around and the temps seem to be between 5-8C lower when running benchmarks now so it did the trick better then I expected. Maybe a new case down the line after the PSU as the case (along with the PSU & drives) are all that remain from my first build (The rest is now a new PC downstairs). Looking back while my first build worked fine it was a bit wonky, strix1070OC + i7-6900 (not k despite a hero VII mobo) & 1000w PSU. This time, it seems I needed to learn there was more to airflow then just the direction.

Thanks for the help.

4 minutes ago, Llian said:

Ok, well I've swapped the fans around and the temps seem to be between 5-8C lower when running benchmarks now so it did the trick better then I expected. Maybe a new case down the line after the PSU as the case (along with the PSU & drives) are all that remain from my first build (The rest is now a new PC downstairs). Looking back while my first build worked fine it was a bit wonky, strix1070OC + i7-6900 (not k despite a hero VII mobo) & 1000w PSU. This time, it seems I needed to learn there was more to airflow then just the direction.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah a 1070 + 6900 in total would be less heat output than a 5900x + 3080 by a fair bit :p. Silence focused cases are a thing of the past (or applicable in very specific use cases) nowadays it's all about airflow. Don't even need to go expensive. A Phanteks p400a mesh digital is a 60-70$ case and has all you need out of the box for a good airflow case.

However that bequiet psu should have a 10 year warranty so you should still be able to send that in. Chances are you will get a newer model in place or a new one of the one you currently have. So win win either way.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

However that bequiet psu should have a 10 year warranty so you should still be able to send that in. Chances are you will get a newer model in place or a new one of the one you currently have. So win win either way.

Just checked my reciept for when I bought it. Nov 2016 so it'll be 5 years in November and it has a 5 yr warrenty. Thanks for that, I have an email to send. =)

9 minutes ago, Llian said:

Just checked my reciept for when I bought it. Nov 2016 so it'll be 5 years in November and it has a 5 yr warrenty. Thanks for that, I have an email to send. 😃

Time to hurry! Get that new psu for basically free ish :p.