I want to build a thin client only to use IPMI and to SSH into a server I have, what should I get?

NunoLava1998

(I'm not using the normal template for this, as I'm just looking for a cheap device that could do what I want it to, and I'm not really looking to build a new build for this. Not really sure where else this could go)

I'm looking for a thin client that would let me remotely work on my server, and also use its IPMI interface. Would just a Raspberry Pi work for this?

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Go on ebay and get a cheap used thin client or a hp,dell,lenovo,... USFF machine. Easily able to find good thin clients for under 60$ that are full featured.

Just now, jaslion said:

Go on ebay and get a cheap used thin client or a hp,dell,lenovo,... USFF machine. Easily able to find good thin clients for under 60$ that are full featured.

it's a lot more fuss, for a comparable amount of money, and quite likely a lot worse specs...

if he wants to use the web interface of the IPMI, chances are he'll need at least some client side performance to deal with that.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

it's a lot more fuss, for a comparable amount of money, and quite likely a lot worse specs...

if he wants to use the web interface of the IPMI, chances are he'll need at least some client side performance to deal with that.

Fair enough I was aiming at the second to 4th gen pentium and i3 segment here which should do nicely no?

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Fair enough I was aiming at the second to 4th gen pentium and i3 segment here which should do nicely no?

and not be worth the price difference. if you're planning to do actual work on the thing.. very much yes go for a refurb desktop.. but it makes no sense in this scope.. in fact it may be the one use case where a pi really does make more sense as a computer.