How do you check if the OC of a CPU is stable?

podkall

If I raise clock speed and little bit of voltage how can I tell if it's enough voltage?

Is the system not crashing while playing games enough of an indicator or is there something more to check?

Can not enough voltage hurt the CPU or performance in games?

Thanks.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

6 minutes ago, podkall said:

If I raise clock speed and little bit of voltage how can I tell if it's enough voltage?

A lot the time you won't even need to raise the voltage. Only raise the voltage if you run into instability. There are a number of programs that stress the CPU pretty well, the one I tend to use is Prime95, but Aida64 is another big one out there.

8 minutes ago, podkall said:

Is the system not crashing while playing games enough of an indicator or is there something more to check?

That's the first hurdle, but again, you want to run through a stress test. Long blender renders are another one that stresses the CPU a lot.

8 minutes ago, podkall said:

The voltage is really just to stabilize the CPU. Less voltage is actually better for the CPU in the long term, but not enough will usually cause crashing, so performance in games will therefore be pretty bad.

28 minutes ago, podkall said:

Thanks.

There are many, many OC guides on YouTube and the internet, and I couldn’t possibly derail everything here for you.

To overclock correctly, stably, and safely, it takes a good amount of reading and understanding. Thankfully, the internet is full of information. Don’t just overclock because you heard the word and think you can wing it, that’s a recipe for a fried CPU. You need to understand what settings your changing, have a plan to test for stability and how to adjust settings to gain stability, check temps, and most importantly check voltages.

Google around for OC guides for your socket and chipset; there will be lots of articles to read. Then once you sorta get what’s going on, you can start fiddling with BIOS settings 🙂  

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

9 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Long blender renders are another one that stresses the CPU a lot.

the BMW one?

9 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The voltage is really just to stabilize the CPU. Less voltage is actually better for the CPU in the long term, but not enough will usually cause crashing, so performance in games will therefore be pretty bad.

Can side effect of not enough of voltage be occasional stuttering when playing game?

9 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

There are many, many OC guides on YouTube and the internet, and I couldn’t possibly derail everything here for you.

To overclock correctly, stably, and safely, it takes a good amount of reading and understanding. Thankfully, the internet is full of information. Don’t just overclock because you heard the word and think you can wing it, that’s a recipe for a fried CPU. You need to understand what settings your changing, have a plan to test for stability and how to adjust settings to gain stability, check temps, and most importantly check voltages.

Google around for OC guides for your socket and chipset; there will be lots of articles to read. Then once you sorta get what’s going on, you can start fiddling with BIOS settings 🙂  

I already rolled my silicon dice, it's pretty decent as you can see in my signature.

I was asking because I only OC like half the amount for CPU demanding games and don't wanna hurt it in a longrun if if low voltage was one of possible ways to kill CPU, but thankfuly it isn't.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

1 minute ago, podkall said:

the BMW one?

That's one of them

1 minute ago, podkall said:

Can side effect of not enough of voltage be occasional stuttering when playing game?

Not that I know of.

9 hours ago, podkall said:

Thanks.

Is the question in regards to your sig rig? Ryzen 1200?

If so I've overclocked one. 4ghz is about the limit of this chip on ambient temps consuming nearly 1.40v for a steady 4ghz.

You probably won't find more performance from it. 

Low voltage typically results is a hang up. The pc freezes and sometimes accompanied by a black screen. 

Yes you may see degraded performance from a low v-core, but with early Ryzen chips I noticed the reference clock which should be 99 to 100mhz will often times dip even below 95mhz. In this case I was able to measure the performance loss with benchmarking. 

2 hours ago, podkall said:

the BMW one?

I already rolled my silicon dice, it's pretty decent as you can see in my signature.

I was asking because I only OC like half the amount for CPU demanding games and don't wanna hurt it in a longrun if if low voltage was one of possible ways to kill CPU, but thankfuly it isn't.

Blender is not at all a stressful enough application to prove stability. A very unstable OC can pass blender. Unless you have properly stress tested your CPU, you don’t actually know where your chip lands… if it doesn’t pass blender, it’s guaranteed not stable, but passing it does not guarantee it IS stable. 

Not enough voltage could be stuttering, or crashing, or BSOD, or memory errors. Plenty of ways for it to “fail” when not stable, which is why properly stress testing is an integral part of the overclocking equation.

Low voltage I don’t believe can hurt the hardware, but it can cause corruption of software… no reason to “only OC half of what the CPU is capable of”, just have to actually thoroughly stress test and being the bolts down as low as possible to actually be stable. Assuming temps are ok at that level while in your every day workload, and voltage is within what is considered safe limits, the chip will be fine. My old 9900k ran at 98c while in aida64 FPU stress test for 4 hours, low 90’s with normal default Aida, and low 80’s for blender (blender isn’t very stressful….), but in the 60’s for games. If I was always doing renders or number crunching, I would have backed it off from 5ghz to something lower, but since my main use is gaming, and my voltage was not high but I had a hot running chip while in stress test but temps were fine in gaming, I stuck with 5ghz without issue. Just because the chip is hot in unrealistic stress tests doesn’t mean it’ll be dangerous since you are never in that type of workload...

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Some things in my tool box for testing:

Linpack Xtreme

OCCT

TM5

SuperPi 32M

Some other crap.

Not Cinebench lol..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

17 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Blender is not at all a stressful enough application to prove stability. A very unstable OC can pass blender. Unless you have properly stress tested your CPU, you don’t actually know where your chip lands… if it doesn’t pass blender, it’s guaranteed not stable, but passing it does not guarantee it IS stable. 

Not enough voltage could be stuttering, or crashing, or BSOD, or memory errors. Plenty of ways for it to “fail” when not stable, which is why properly stress testing is an integral part of the overclocking equation.

Low voltage I don’t believe can hurt the hardware, but it can cause corruption of software… no reason to “only OC half of what the CPU is capable of”, just have to actually thoroughly stress test and being the bolts down as low as possible to actually be stable. Assuming temps are ok at that level while in your every day workload, and voltage is within what is considered safe limits, the chip will be fine. My old 9900k ran at 98c while in aida64 FPU stress test for 4 hours, low 90’s with normal default Aida, and low 80’s for blender (blender isn’t very stressful….), but in the 60’s for games. If I was always doing renders or number crunching, I would have backed it off from 5ghz to something lower, but since my main use is gaming, and my voltage was not high but I had a hot running chip while in stress test but temps were fine in gaming, I stuck with 5ghz without issue. Just because the chip is hot in unrealistic stress tests doesn’t mean it’ll be dangerous since you are never in that type of workload...

Well playing BR games gives my CPU quite the effort, basicaly constant 100% utralisation

15 hours ago, freeagent said:

Some things in my tool box for testing:

Linpack Xtreme

OCCT

TM5

SuperPi 32M

Some other crap.

Not Cinebench lol..

Not Cinebench? damn, I thought it was decent since it runs the cpu at highest possible speed and utralisation, and takes little time

like for a quick test could be fine right? not for definitive answer of stability ofc

Btw @freeagent @LIGISTX values when Cinebench was running:

obrazek.png.6b415dbf26579f327877c1322adfad07.png

PC:

PCs I used before:

You should use HWinfo64... its uber gooder.

Capture.PNG.b5bf203f92d54e193a07f5906be432a7.PNG

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

4 hours ago, podkall said:

Well playing BR games gives my CPU quite the effort, basicaly constant 100% utralisation

Not Cinebench? damn, I thought it was decent since it runs the cpu at highest possible speed and utralisation, and takes little time

like for a quick test could be fine right? not for definitive answer of stability ofc

obrazek.png.6b415dbf26579f327877c1322adfad07.png

Just because the CPU is at 100% utilization doesn’t mean it is being heavily worked. It’s all about the actual wattage load being placed on the chip. Games are no where near stressful enough to prove actual stability, and CB isn’t either. It’s just not enough of a wattage draw. If that package power is correct in your screenshot, it’s only pulling 65 watts of power. Try asus real bench, or AIDA64 with only the FPU option checked. 

Download link is there. 

https://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

4 hours ago, podkall said:

There is no "One" thing that can completely test it, as long as the system is running fine with no errors or crashing it's fine.
The usual suspects are Prime 95, OCCT and such but you have to be careful, some tests you can use are capable of doing damage to a system like Furmark.
Do not use Furmark and if you do, you've been warned.

This is the current and complete list of benchmarks ran at the bot: Overclocking, overclocking, and much more! Like overclocking.
Lots of stuff to try with some of it being free, some not but whatever tickles your fancy you can go for it if you want.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.