Opinions on th ASUS ROG Crosshair Viii Hero X570

I'm looking to Upgrade to Ryzen 5000 Series but I'm also looking for a New Motherboard as well. I love the Fact that the ASUS ROG Hero has all the USB Connections, but I would like Opinions from people that own the Board or have used it and if I should spend my Money on it or look for something else

The same opinion like most high-end boards. Overpriced an unneccesary. You will pay a lot for features no one needs. You can achive your maximum CPU overclocking potential with most mid range boards aswell. And depending on what I/O you need you can get away much cheaper without losing any feature that matters to you. Remember: Your mainboard does not contribute to performance.

Most people that buy a X570 Hero would be off just as well with something like a MSI B550A-Pro for example.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

It's a stupid product. It's simply overpriced and even if you go with a MUCH MUCH cheaper board you won't notice a difference. Every board has usb thats nothing special. What do you want from a motherboard apart from it being the thing everything slots in to?

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's a stupid product. It's simply overpriced and even if you go with a MUCH MUCH cheaper board you won't notice a difference. Every board has usb thats nothing special. What do you want from a motherboard apart from it being the thing everything slots in to?

Personally I like having a lot of M.2 slots and a strong VRM, various BIOS options.

That said yes, high end motherboards are overkill for normal gamer applications. Still, currently using X570S Aorus Master.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

6 minutes ago, krakek said:

Personally I like having a lot of M.2 slots and a strong VRM, various BIOS options.

That said yes, high end motherboards are overkill for normal gamer applications. Still, currently using X570S Aorus Master.

Ok so like a msi b550 tomahawk or x570 tomahawk? If you need more m.2 slots than those have just get a pcie expansion slot card for em or reevaluate your storage choices as that would be kinda odd?

16 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Ok so like a msi b550 tomahawk or x570 tomahawk? If you need more m.2 slots than those have just get a pcie expansion slot card for em or reevaluate your storage choices as that would be kinda odd?

That was one of the choices, yes. Storage wise I have selected using 3 NVMe drives - one 980PRO and two 980 (stripped), the later for the steam library, the former for demanding models and the system.

However not only would it offend my aesthetic sensibilities but also impact airflow for the ordered (but not yet dispatched) GPU upgrade.

X570 Tomahawk also appears to say lack postcode, which I find useful.

p.s. out of Gigabyte X570 lineup I think the X570S Elite can be a good price/performance deal, assuming normal gaming use.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

1 hour ago, ReaperMopar said:

i wouldn't buy the hero over the dark hero, pointless product, or just go with something cheaper from msi

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

Just now, krakek said:

That was one of the choices, yes. Storage wise I have selected using 3 NVMe drives - one 980PRO and two 980 (stripped), the later for the steam library, the former for demanding models and the system.

However not only would it offend my aesthetic sensibilities but also impact airflow for the ordered (but not yet dispatched) GPU upgrade.

X570 Tomahawk also appears to say lack postcode, which I find useful.

How would a board impact airflow? It's a flat slab? Or are you talking about the pcie riser card? You can just plug that in anywhere. I don't recommend combining the 980's as well for one no game would use them to their fullest and also just windows kinda not being too know to be stable with it.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

How would a board impact airflow? It's a flat slab? Or are you talking about the pcie riser card? You can just plug that in anywhere. I don't recommend combining the 980's as well for one no game would use them to their fullest and also just windows kinda not being too know to be stable with it.

A 3,5 slot GPU would not have enough space between it's fans and the PCI-E x4 to M.2 adapter for adequate airflow in my opinion.

My system is on 980PRO.

53 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I don't recommend combining the 980's as well for one no game would use them to their fullest and also just windows kinda not being too know to be stable with it.

He's talking about the "Samsung Evo 980 Pro" ssd, not a GTX 980.

1 hour ago, krakek said:

Even most mid-range boards have more than enough VRM headroom to overclock your CPU as far as it will go under water or air cooling. The only additional BIOS options you get with these high-end boards are vor hardcore overclocking using LN2 or something like that. Literally no use for a 24/7 PC.

There is a difference in what you "like having" and what you need. If you like having lots of useless stuff you can easily overspend a lot on some parts.

You could probably have gotten the B550 Aorus Elite with still overkill VRM, most of the BIOS options of the Aorus Master and would have saved $300 for the same performance. And in normaly market conditions these $300 would get you another 2TB SSD, more RAM, a better CPU or a better GPU.

The motherboard is probably the part of a PC where most people overspend a lot and where the extra money spent will be the least noticeable.

The only reason why i have a fairly expensive motherboard myslef (Asus Strix B550-E) is because it's literally the only board that supports Aura Sync and has every header exactly where i need it in my case.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

13 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

There is a difference in what you "like having" and what you need. If you like having lots of useless stuff you can easily overspend a lot on some parts.

The motherboard is probably the part of a PC where most people overspend a lot and where the extra money spent will be the least noticeable.

Yes. It also has post code, something I found useful, considering I had some posting issues due to it being my first built, with a key component (GPU) being hand me down stand in (waiting for the ordered 3080ti to be dispatched).

So between all those things I find my choices acceptable.

That said you are correct, there are ways to do a more rigorous optimisation for the build, motherboard being one of those.

3 minutes ago, krakek said:

Yes. It also has post code, something I found useful, considering I had some posting issues due to it being my first built, with a key component (GPU) being hand me down stand in.

Mid-tier boards also typically have some sort of debug LEDs which serve the exact same purpose.

3 minutes ago, krakek said:

So between all those things I find my choices acceptable.

If it was worth it for you, good. I'm not trying to undermine that.

But i don't think it's good general advice for most people.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Mid-tier boards also typically have some sort of debug LEDs which serve the exact same purpose.

If it was worth it for you, good. I'm not trying to undermine that.

But i don't think it's good general advice for most people.

Which is why I started off by saying that high end motherboards are overkill for most people, before mentioning my personal choice.

22 hours ago, ReaperMopar said:

I'm looking to Upgrade to Ryzen 5000 Series but I'm also looking for a New Motherboard as well. I love the Fact that the ASUS ROG Hero has all the USB Connections, but I would like Opinions from people that own the Board or have used it and if I should spend my Money on it or look for something else

The Reason I was looking at this Board is the fact it has so Many USB Ports my Current Board is a Gigabyte Aurous B450 it has 7 and I have all them full and and a USB Splitter I do alot of Video Editing and Blender with CAD Projects every once in awhile and I have a Lot of USB Devices