Daughter's build: 5600G or 5600x + GT 1030?

DCCFan

Budget (including currency): < 800USD (minus monitor and peripherals. Oh and already own the PSU). Would like to save as much as possible while still being able to upgrade later (to 5900x, buy more memory and a nice GPU).

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Latest Steam games and game development (son is into Unity, Unreal and CryEngine)

Other details: Would like a good 1080p experience for now (best monitor I can get for under US$200?). No peripherals needed and will buy a monitor later, though feel free to suggest one 🙂 

My son has the 6600k/RX580 but won't be upgrading that one just yet so this is a new build. 

Here's my current parts list. Unsure whether to go with 5600G or 5600X and a cheap GPU?  Or maybe even 3600 and a cheap GPU?  

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Z2PgkX

Honestly the 5600G is a better value overall, considering the "upgrade" isn't coming soon. You won't comprimise on upgradability.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

27 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

Budget (including currency): < 800USD (minus monitor and peripherals. Oh and already own the PSU). Would like to save as much as possible while still being able to upgrade later (to 5900x, buy more memory and a nice GPU).

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Latest Steam games and game development (son is into Unity, Unreal and CryEngine)

Other details: Would like a good 1080p experience for now (best monitor I can get for under US$200?). No peripherals needed and will buy a monitor later, though feel free to suggest one 🙂 

My son has the 6600k/RX580 but won't be upgrading that one just yet so this is a new build. 

Here's my current parts list. Unsure whether to go with 5600G or 5600X and a cheap GPU?  Or maybe even 3600 and a cheap GPU?  

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Z2PgkX

The 5700G has a respectable iGP & only falls slightly behind the 5800X, so if the core reduction isn't a deal breaker I'd recommend getting one and removing the need to upgrade in the future. You won't save much now, but you also won't be dealing with selling a used CPU and buying a more expensive one later. GT 1030s struggle to compete with Intel's integrated UHD 630, so there's no point dropping $150 on one if you have a 5700G.

If the 5900X is a must, then just keep the list as is, as you'll be getting the same iGP.

the pc guy

30 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

In any scenario, DO NOT BUY A 1030 FOR GAMING BECAUSE ITS DOGSHIT

Not true.

For 100 bucks it isn't half bad, I mean when we aren't in the middle a of a chip shortage something like a RX 570 will be better value obviously, but its not "DOGSHIT" by any means.

A 710 on the other hand....

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

50 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

you don't mention the GPU other than in the title.

In any scenario, DO NOT BUY A 1030 FOR GAMING BECAUSE ITS DOGSHIT

Haha I know. I wouldn't keep it for a long time. Just waiting for this GPU bubble to pop. Hopefully if it pops in 2022 would like to get a 2080 (so I can save a buck over the 3080). 

20 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

Not true.

For 100 bucks it isn't half bad, I mean when we aren't in the middle a of a chip shortage something like a RX 570 will be better value obviously, but its not "DOGSHIT" by any means.

I think the 1030 is pretty much equivalent to the IGPU in the 5600G. Might be wrong though, but I think I heard a youtuber say that. 

49 minutes ago, Forleb said:

The 5700G has a respectable iGP & only falls slightly behind the 5800X, so if the core reduction isn't a deal breaker I'd recommend getting one and removing the need to upgrade in the future. You won't save much now, but you also won't be dealing with selling a used CPU and buying a more expensive one later. GT 1030s struggle to compete with Intel's integrated UHD 630, so there's no point dropping $150 on one if you have a 5700G.

If the 5900X is a must, then just keep the list as is, as you'll be getting the same iGP.

Thanks! Will look into the 5700G. It's just that I'm not sure my kids need all that power yet. That's why I was reserving the right to upgrade in the future LoL. I tend to keep PC's for a long time so thinking in 4-5 years the 5900x won't be that much overkill, especially if my son gets more into game development. 

What do you think would be a good GPU to pair with the 5700G or 5800x/5900x later? 

9 hours ago, DCCFan said:

Thanks! Will look into the 5700G. It's just that I'm not sure my kids need all that power yet. That's why I was reserving the right to upgrade in the future LoL. I tend to keep PC's for a long time so thinking in 4-5 years the 5900x won't be that much overkill, especially if my son gets more into game development. 

What do you think would be a good GPU to pair with the 5700G or 5800x/5900x later? 

The lowest I'd go is RTX 3060 Ti or RX 6700 XT, as they're both currently this generation's gateway to normalized 1440p gaming. This should roughly equate to highly capable 1080p gaming in any title several years from now, as cards like the RX 580 have settled comfortably into 1080p-low capable in any title today.

the pc guy

9 hours ago, DCCFan said:

I think the 1030 is pretty much equivalent to the IGPU in the 5600G. Might be wrong though, but I think I heard a youtuber say that. 

10 hours ago, Cool_Evlo said:

Not true.

the 1030 for 

Latest Steam games and game development

in 1080p, is not possible.

in 720p, maybe