AOC monitors all bad? I have experience a pattern of similar issues with their panels.

Tang Li

Hello there everyone. Hope everything is well ! 😄

Am I missing something about these AOC monitors? I have multiple gaming machines, and I tested this monitor (Q32G1WG4 ) on multiple GPUs with multiple Cables (3090, 2080ti, 1080)... The monitor is bad, not the cable or gpu.

I found a weird pattern...

My first AOC (don't remember the model #), still works (Downgraded to a office monitor after the panel started ghosting) ... some serious response time issues... The ghosting is real while moving a simple windows explorer window, and things like that(this issue developed a couple of years into using it.) I have tried all the settings, the panel has just deteriorated very fast ...

My second AOC monitor AOC C27G1 27 144hz(so my nephew can play fortenite when he is here) suddenly started displaying faded horizontal lines on the entire screen... Out of warranty, ... meh...

My current AOC monitor AOC Q32G1WG4 144hz (My main machine's secondary monitor) suddenly started displaying faded horizontal lines (problem started exactly on 09 - 19 - 2021 while working on UNREAL ENGINE )on the entire screen... Same issue as the above C27G1

The lines become harder to see at 60HZ... I have tried another working DP cable, have switched cables with my Samsung G7, have tried connecting it by it self, tried different machines... Nothing works. This monitor is about 2 and half years old.

Does anybody know anything about this issue, or a possible way to fix it? I have owned a crazy amount of monitors in the past, but every single AOC monitor I've had, died prematurely. Although they all still display the image, the panel's seem to degrade extremely fast... Maybe the capacitors blow up? I don't know...

If anyone has experienced this problem and knows a possible solution to it, I would appreciate if you guys could share it with me. I want to save this Q32G1WG4, it was perfectly fine for it's task before these lines appeared.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, Tang Li said:

Q32G1WG4

Exact same monitor I have been using for the last year w/ no problems...

EDIT:

You may not realise, but it's a Freesync monitor, so may not like to be used w/ nVidia cards... esp. for high refresh rates.

EDIT 2:

Not saying it won't work properly w/ nVidia cards, but I've only used mine w/ a Sapphire Pulse Vega56

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

11 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Exact same monitor I have been using for the last year w/ no problems...

EDIT:

You may not realise, but it's a Freesync monitor, so may not like to be used w/ nVidia cards... esp. for high refresh rates.

EDIT 2:

Not saying it won't work properly w/ nVidia cards, but I've only used mine w/ a Sapphire Pulse Vega56

Thanks for the reply... It was working fine until yesterday, so it worked good for a couple of years then it broke.

2 minutes ago, Tang Li said:

Thanks for the reply... It was working fine until yesterday, so it worked good for a couple of years then it broke.

AOC are not majorly worse than any other make I've used, which - to be honest - is only a handful of makes.

EDIT:

Might be worth getting a non-AOC monitor to sanity check if it IS the monitor causing the problem... can you totally rule out a faulty graphics card?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

They're cheaper monitors that use cheaper panels. They aren't going to last as long as maybe a Samsung or Asus monitor. If you want something that will last longer your best bet is to pickup a higher quality model from a more reputable brand. AOCs are good for the price but longevity isn't something you will always get out of a budget monitor.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

AOC are not majorly worse than any other make I've used, which - to be honest - is only a handful of makes.

It seems like I just had bad luck with AOC then... Major bad luck because my only 3 AOC monitors all failed 😢

This post will not offer you any conclusion but I'll share my experiences with you never the less.

So, I've had two AOC monitors. They both are cheap, in fact pretty much the cheapest panels you can buy. I have overclocked them both, and had no problems with them. One of them I got second hand actually.

On the newest of the two panels I had horizontal lines sometimes due to a bad panel OC but I fixed that with some tweaking. I dunno man, I'd say you were in for some bad luck ...but twice?! idk...

18 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

You may not realise, but it's a Freesync monitor, so may not like to be used w/ nVidia cards... esp. for high refresh rate

I have a freesync monitor with RTX card and it's worked well so far. Some games don't like it and will produce flickering but so far I've only seen one or two..

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

They're cheaper monitors that use cheaper panels. They aren't going to last as long as maybe a Samsung or Asus monitor. If you want something that will last longer your best bet is to pickup a higher quality model from a more reputable brand. AOCs are good for the price but longevity isn't something you will always get out of a budget monitor.

Thank you. I never knew anything about their panel and stuff. Is this a common issue?.. I didn't want to go full fledge on a secondary monitor since I don't use them for gaming at all... I just like my secondary monitor to match the size of my primary monitor... so I went with the cheapest 144hz one I found at the time... 

3 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

This post will not offer you any conclusion but I'll share my experiences with you never the less.

So, I've had two AOC monitors. They both are cheap, in fact pretty much the cheapest panels you can buy. I have overclocked them both, and had no problems with them. One of them I got second hand actually.

On the newest of the two panels I had horizontal lines sometimes due to a bad panel OC but I fixed that with some tweaking. I dunno man, I'd say you were in for some bad luck ...but twice?! idk...

I have a freesync monitor with RTX card and it's worked well so far. Some games don't like it and will produce flickering but so far I've only seen one or two..

That's the thing, not twice, 3 times... lol. And they were all bought as a secondary monitor. I never ever even gamed on them. Like I said, I only use my secondary monitor to read text like Visual Studio, unreal engine and stuff... Or photoshop I guess...

My suggestion would be to look for a monitor that has (at least) GeForce compatibility (software supported), if not GeForce certification (GeForce hardware module in the monitor; usually more expensive).

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Tang Li said:

That's the thing, not twice, 3 times... lol. And they were all bought as a secondary monitor. I never ever even gamed on them. Like I said, I only use my secondary monitor to read text like Visual Studio, unreal engine and stuff... Or photoshop I guess...

Yeah, sorry. My brain a bit beat from MTG lol..

Well they do make cheap monitors but I've found the quality to be decent. Also both of the overclocked AOC monitors still work, perfectly. So I found what you said strange... they all got decent ventilation? Air vents not clocked by anything and they where not placed in a spot where they would suffocate? Apart from bad luck I can only think of issues with the environment.

3 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Yeah, sorry. My brain a bit beat from MTG lol..

Well they do make cheap monitors but I've found the quality to be decent. Also both of the overclocked AOC monitors still work, perfectly. So I found what you said strange... they all got decent ventilation? Air vents not clocked by anything and they where not placed in a spot where they would suffocate? Apart from bad luck I can only think of issues with the environment.

Lol,!

I think the ventilation is fine... Not crowded in here or anything.

Let me share a picture of the area... Also I will share a picture of a close up ... Note the fine horizontal lines... Any other NON horizontal line is an artifact from taking a pictures of a screen with a phone lol, just ignore any NON horizontal line.

Left is a Predator, right is the AOC. I tried swapping the cables to eliminate that from the possibility list. I also swapped the cable with the G7 behind me... The cables are all fine.

MonitorAOC.jpg

MonitorAOC2.jpg

Here is another picture from the back... 

I think ventilation wise it's ok.

AOCmonitor3.jpg

11 hours ago, Tang Li said:

Here is another picture from the back... 

I think ventilation wise it's ok.

Yeah man, ventilation is fine and it looks very clean so it shouldn't be the environment either. Gee bruh.. I dunno. 😕

Just wanted to drop in: I had a few AOC monitors and recommended some to friends. Never had or heard about any problems with either one of them.

The monitors include multiple 24G2 (75Hz and 144Hz variants), AG352UCG6, CQ32G1.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Thanks for all the response guys.

Just got home from work... It got worse ! ...

Like WOW worse.

I attached a picture.

It seems to be a deteriorated panel. 

Let me drive to Boston and get a substitute I guess... I was happy with it for what it was intended to do but too bad it couldn't reach the 3 year mark. For the record, I never overclocked it.

AOCmonitor4.jpg