Laptop overheating? maybe?

So I have a Zephyrus G14 which is my first windows since I came from apple (yes I know)

Ive only really just started looking at the internal temps, and have noticed that it gets really hot.

The CPU in particular runs around 60-70 0C on idle / small tasks and 90-100 0C when playing games. which seems a little to "warm" to me.

I have no clue what the problem could be (unlikely hardware since its fairly new and is always well looked after etc.) , maybe software issues?

Any help / advice would be amazing!

(if any more detail is needed, I can provide it)

Yeah.... laptops like to run hot and throttle. 100c is the throttle limit. 

Maybe clean the laptop cooler out? Packed with dust maybe?

It is a little warm to be frank. The near 100 degrees is not advised but let’s say “normal” when gaming, not on a brand new laptop tho. Also the ideas temps are also toasty. I get less than 60 on my 5 yo Alienware at idle.

Firstly check your background processes, either from the task manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc and then choose “more details”) or from the task tray (the little upwards arrow on the bottom right in the taskbar). If many apps start during booting see what those apps are and disable all of them (or leave just the ones you deem absolutely necessary) from the taskbar again, but go to the “Startup” tab).

Also if you live in a warm area temps will surely go up, especially during summer months. Dust plays a very important role as well, you should clean your laptop more often than not (say do a simple dust off the fans every half or whole year). On windows laptops it is easy, you can see a video on how to open your laptop.

Last but not least, repasting is a good option. If you don’t know what it is, better look it up. You probably don’t need it as your laptop is new, bu thou could go with liquid metal, it really amps up your performance. Again if you don’t know what it is look it up, and if you’re afraid to do it yourself ask someone who is comfortable. It’s not that hard though, and after a video you should be able to do it with ease.

Sorry  for the over-explanation but as you say you come from a Mac I supposed that you’re not familiar with Windows at all. Also I don’t know your familiarity with repasting etc so again sorry for overexplaining 😅😅

2 hours ago, Fjolfrin said:

It is a little warm to be frank. The near 100 degrees is not advised but let’s say “normal” when gaming, not on a brand new laptop tho. Also the ideas temps are also toasty. I get less than 60 on my 5 yo Alienware at idle.

Firstly check your background processes, either from the task manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc and then choose “more details”) or from the task tray (the little upwards arrow on the bottom right in the taskbar). If many apps start during booting see what those apps are and disable all of them (or leave just the ones you deem absolutely necessary) from the taskbar again, but go to the “Startup” tab).

Also if you live in a warm area temps will surely go up, especially during summer months. Dust plays a very important role as well, you should clean your laptop more often than not (say do a simple dust off the fans every half or whole year). On windows laptops it is easy, you can see a video on how to open your laptop.

Last but not least, repasting is a good option. If you don’t know what it is, better look it up. You probably don’t need it as your laptop is new, bu thou could go with liquid metal, it really amps up your performance. Again if you don’t know what it is look it up, and if you’re afraid to do it yourself ask someone who is comfortable. It’s not that hard though, and after a video you should be able to do it with ease.

Sorry  for the over-explanation but as you say you come from a Mac I supposed that you’re not familiar with Windows at all. Also I don’t know your familiarity with repasting etc so again sorry for overexplaining 😅😅

Thank you so much! The overexplanation was exactly what I needed XD 

There are not many backgroud apps open, and its still fairly high temps...

I will have a look at dust etc. when I get a chance to open her up. 

As you said, paste shoulnd't need to be done since its fairly new, also I believe the Laptop is supposed to have really good cooling properties already (apparantly)

I've heard you can do stuff in the software settings etc. but i'm really not sure what and im also not so comfortable changing the software settings since i dont want to damage the software or anything (if that is at all possible).

20 minutes ago, charles.taylour said:

Thank you so much! The overexplanation was exactly what I needed XD 

There are not many backgroud apps open, and its still fairly high temps...

I will have a look at dust etc. when I get a chance to open her up. 

As you said, paste shoulnd't need to be done since its fairly new, also I believe the Laptop is supposed to have really good cooling properties already (apparantly)

I've heard you can do stuff in the software settings etc. but i'm really not sure what and im also not so comfortable changing the software settings since i dont want to damage the software or anything (if that is at all possible).

Your laptop reaches high temps only when gaming? For example if you open, say, Word and a browser and load 3 YT videos on the browser, will it hit 80-90 or will it stay under that?

If it gets really hot only when gaming it's probably because of your environment, menacing warm weather and dust accumulation. If it get that hot in other circumstances then something's off...

Also is there any specific performance profile enabled? My laptop doesn't have settings like that, but most other laptops do, maybe check that out.

i am unsure of what program that you are using to measure temps

make sure that you are talking about 100c rather than f and use a notible program such as hwinfo64 sensors.

ive seen in the past where speccy/hwmonitor have given really shoddy results.

what are you fan profiles like

if youre opening a chrome tab and getting 100c it just sounds like the chip is boosting high without the fan curve ramping for it

however laptops chips are generally rated for a higher thermal spec due to limited cooling. seeing 100c is, most of the time, normal

it would also be nice if we had a hwinfo64 summary screenshot to see what hardware youre rocking so that we can justify those temps with some beefy hardware behind it.

The Big UwU - Wise Words
1. PSU Wattage =/= PSU Quality
80+ Certification doesn't mean shit.
2. Don't cheap out on the heart of your system.

"B-b-but it was 20$ @ 800w, it was a steal!!" - An idiot with a dead PC.
3. Do not buy for brand, buy for the product.

Every company makes their fair line of garbage.

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

6 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yeah.... laptops like to run hot and throttle. 100c is the throttle limit. 

I wanted to say that cant be but 

Spoiler

The 4800H, as an example, can run to 105C (221F) according to AMD's own specifications. That's incredibly hot, especially for a portable computer you may conceivably want to use on your lap from time to time.

the cpu in OPs "laptop"... allegedly...

Those Ryzen coming in hot... my i5u throttles at ~85c ... can usually keep it under though 

T junction is 100c,  but it starts throttling way earlier... 

6 hours ago, charles.taylour said:

The CPU in particular runs around 60-70 0C on idle / small tasks and 90-100 0C when playing games. which seems a little to "warm" to me.

I mean you have the computer,  you need to check, does it lower clock speeds at some point before that? If its running 100c and also throttles like crazy you have an issue,  if it just hovers around 3ghz - 4ghz  its what you can expect. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

55 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I wanted to say that cant be but 

Reveal hidden contents

The 4800H, as an example, can run to 105C (221F) according to AMD's own specifications. That's incredibly hot, especially for a portable computer you may conceivably want to use on your lap from time to time.

the cpu in OPs "laptop"... allegedly...

Those Ryzen coming in hot... my i5u throttles at ~85c ... can usually keep it under though 

T junction is 100c,  but it starts throttling way earlier... 

Can run and actually run are two different things. The bios will cripple that. Might be 103.5c but running .765v or less at 800mhz or less until temps are lowered enough to signal the high temp alert to reset. (70c) Or at least so the Processor Programming Reference (PPR) says somewhere down the few hundred pages or so. (I can't remember the exact page at this time). But do keep in mind that material is for Family 17H Model 01h, revision B1 which is Zen+ I believe. I don't think any of the specs would have changed for Zen 2 and 3.

Also TDP Wattage is an average measurement over the life of the processor. The 5800X for example is 105w TDP. This does not mean PEAK wattage. And also is represented as a thermal unit which you convert to British Thermal Unit (BTU). This is how they calculate the cooling needed for the particular cpu and also part of the reason why AMD stopped shipping heat sinks. The designs really arent enough cooling for chips like a 5800X.  So say 190w at load = 648 BTU an hour. 

So you put a toaster inside a plastic case that's 1/2" thick. Nice. 

Stick with my desktop though. I don't travel much to need a lappy. 

Yeap, apparently I can set "max wattage" for my 3600 to *1000w* ... makes no sense. : D 

But yeah, it can go over the "tdp"... i know,  but its a common misconception for sure.

3 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

So you put a toaster inside a plastic case that's 1/2" thick. Nice. 

Stick with my desktop though. I don't travel much to need a lappy. 

I dont really need a laptop either, and I really wanted a stronger one than what I got... the store i bought it from 3 years ago was stupid,  and I didn't actually know what I need...

Although its aluminum casing... i think that kinda helps... it really gets *very* hot on the outside,  which to me is a plus lol, always meant to be something thats stationary and small. : o

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 hours ago, JJorbann said:

i am unsure of what program that you are using to measure temps

make sure that you are talking about 100c rather than f and use a notible program such as hwinfo64 sensors.

ive seen in the past where speccy/hwmonitor have given really shoddy results.

what are you fan profiles like

if youre opening a chrome tab and getting 100c it just sounds like the chip is boosting high without the fan curve ramping for it

however laptops chips are generally rated for a higher thermal spec due to limited cooling. seeing 100c is, most of the time, normal

it would also be nice if we had a hwinfo64 summary screenshot to see what hardware youre rocking so that we can justify those temps with some beefy hardware behind it.

I use the built in measuring program (armoury crate) and its definetly celcius.

I use the built in profiles... in the sc i have 5 chrome tabs / spotify and steam launched and am reaching 850C!!!

(also on the sc are my specs) Its a Zephyrus G14...

Screenshot 2021-09-21 133407.png

16 hours ago, Fjolfrin said:

Your laptop reaches high temps only when gaming? For example if you open, say, Word and a browser and load 3 YT videos on the browser, will it hit 80-90 or will it stay under that?

If it gets really hot only when gaming it's probably because of your environment, menacing warm weather and dust accumulation. If it get that hot in other circumstances then something's off...

Also is there any specific performance profile enabled? My laptop doesn't have settings like that, but most other laptops do, maybe check that out.

Read up on this post.. this has most of what you asked for too!

2 minutes ago, charles.taylour said:

I use the built in profiles... in the sc i have 5 chrome tabs / spotify and steam launched and am reaching 850C!!!

5 hours ago, charles.taylour said:

Armoury Crate has been known to give really trashy stats back to the end user. Try something along the lines of HWINFO64.
Seeing as it's a 4900H, they're known to get hot. Prop your laptop up and run the fanspeed higher.
It looks like youre running a "silent profile," which is awful for laptops of that caliber.
I wouldn't even touch anything in that panel, as it's essentially bloatware.

The Big UwU - Wise Words

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

13 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yeap, apparently I can set "max wattage" for my 3600 to *1000w* ... makes no sense. : D 

But yeah, it can go over the "tdp"... i know,  but its a common misconception for sure.

This is due to how PBO interacts with the CPU.
You can set the limits to whatever you like, but it will not reach those statistics @ all if the temperature is above the throttle limit that the manufacturer has set in place.

Using Ryzen Master, you might be able to tweak the EDC/TDC/PPT limits.
Generally Ryzen will see better results if the Temp/Speed/Power/Current limits are more constrained - atleast that's what I see on my Desktop system.
image.thumb.png.781eed6c0b459ba602dd9bcb86f84a82.pngFused refers to what the chip's stock PBO limit is, while the number on the right is more along the lines of whatever you/your manufacturer has set for the CPU.

The Big UwU - Wise Words

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)