What do you think of CAT7 Ethernet Cable?

Ned83

The cable I'm going to buy will be from this link: UGREEN Ethernet Cable, Cat 7 Gigabit LAN Network RJ45 High-Speed Patch Cord Flat Design 10Gbps 600Mhz/s for Raspberry Pi 4, Console, PS3, PS4, PS5, Switch, Router, Modem, Patch Panel, PC (1M) : Amazon.com.au: Computers

Is it good?

Does this cable work with any female ethernet ports from any motherboards?

Will I face any issues or trouble while using it?

Waste of money. Cat5e is more than enough for you.

Demystifying Ethernet Types —Difference between Cat5e, Cat 6, and Cat7

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just get standard Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable if you only wanna use it for close-range like that 1 meter.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

It's an ethernet cable like any other cable. It won't work better or worse than any other ethernet cable, if your network card can only do 1 gbps or 2.5 gbps (if both can support 2.5 gbps).

Don't spend extra because it claims Cat7, you'll be fine with a cat6a or cat6 cable, and even cat5e cable will be fine (but you'll have a hard time finding one, because cat6a and cat6a are so easy to manufacture these days, it's no longer making sense to make cat5e cables) 

4 hours ago, Ned83 said:

The cable I'm going to buy will be from this link: UGREEN Ethernet Cable, Cat 7 Gigabit LAN Network RJ45 High-Speed Patch Cord Flat Design 10Gbps 600Mhz/s for Raspberry Pi 4, Console, PS3, PS4, PS5, Switch, Router, Modem, Patch Panel, PC (1M) : Amazon.com.au: Computers

Is it good?

Does this cable work with any female ethernet ports from any motherboards?

Will I face any issues or trouble while using it?

Cat 7 is not an official standard. It has no TIA certification and thats the one that matters. So quality will vary and there is no guarantee it will work. 

Cat 5e is rated for 2.5 Gbps, Cat 6 is rated for 5 Gbps and Cat 6a is rated for 10 Gbps. Between those 3 you should find something that will work. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It constantly pisses me off when people says stuff like the above. 

It's plain wrong. 

Cat7 may not be an official standard, but the "unofficial" definition is superior to Cat6 or Cat6a - you make it sound like it's worse than cat5e and "no guarantee it will work" is just stupid. It will work, and it will work even at 10gbps. 

The cat5e, cat6 and cat6a  are standards to get those speeds UP TO 100 METERS

The wires have to be a specific thickness and two wires at a time have to be twisted a certain way in order for a signal to have enough strength and quality at the end of 100 METERS of cable . 

It's about wire resistance, losses in the wires, shielding of exterior noise, reducing crosstalk, lots of crap that matters much less for short distances. 

The cable we're talking about is 1-5 meters long, with connectors factory applied. 

At such lengths, even cat5e cables will do 10 gbps with practically no losses maybe a few packets corrupted, which will be retransmitted if using tcp/ip .. so you'd only care/be affected by such corrupted packets in games that use UDP or some other protocols, and even then most of the time that would register in a game like a few ms glitch or something like that.

Cat6 by definition can do 10gbps up to 55 meters or something like that, and can less up to 100 meters. Cat6a is guaranteed to do 10gbps up to 100 meters. 

see below, speed on cat5e cable fluctuates because he gets some packets corrupted (because he uses a long cat5e cable) and the network card has to resend corrupted packets, eating into the overall bandwidth.

/* not the best video example, but first result I got on youtube . YES, I know this guy got popular with pranks and fake IT videos, but he now takes advantage of the popularity and makes OK videos .  */

ps. It COULD be that if you take 95 meters of cat6a cable and then connect 5 meters of that Cat7 cable to form a 100 meter long cable,  the overall cable will perform worse than a single 100 meter Cat6a cable.  BUT, we're talking here about cables used inside a home, a few meters long... we're not talking datacenters and 50+ meters of cable. 

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

-snip-

The biggest issue I have is that Cat7 by definition cannot use 8P8C connectors, it's supposed to use GG45 Tera connectors to meet the ISO spec. Yes it works but it's just one of those things that technically shouldn't exist the way it's being sold and in most cases is probably just Cat6(or 6a) cable marked up a bit but there have been instances on this forum of people buying Cat7 or Cat8 marketed cables that can't even keep the link up or handle gigabit speeds because they were cheap CCA cables marketed as higher end cables. Not saying proper grade Cat7 or Cat8.1/8.2 cables wouldn't have that issue but it's more down to cheap crap being sold as higher quality at higher prices.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

-Will the CAT7 cable I showed in the link above be Full Duplex or Half Duplex?

-What do you think of the 1 star rating opinion from customers?: Amazon.com.au:Customer reviews: UGREEN Ethernet Cable, Cat 7 Gigabit LAN Network RJ45 High-Speed Patch Cord Flat Design 10Gbps 600Mhz/s for Raspberry Pi 4, Console, PS3, PS4, PS5, Switch, Router, Modem, Patch Panel, PC (5M)

Should I listen to them?

1 hour ago, Ned83 said:

-Will the CAT7 cable I showed in the link above be Full Duplex or Half Duplex?

-What do you think of the 1 star rating opinion from customers?: Amazon.com.au:Customer reviews: UGREEN Ethernet Cable, Cat 7 Gigabit LAN Network RJ45 High-Speed Patch Cord Flat Design 10Gbps 600Mhz/s for Raspberry Pi 4, Console, PS3, PS4, PS5, Switch, Router, Modem, Patch Panel, PC (5M)

Should I listen to them?

I don't think any ethernet cable manufactured these days is designed to run in half-duplex out of the box. However, this might happen if there are defects in the cable itself or you force it on the NIC.

Why flat cable? I'd only choose this as my last resort because I'd rather have a slightly thicker cable with better insulation and less risk for breakage with bends and signal degradation.

As for the reviews, you have to take that with a grain of salt. If it's cheap and you find out that the reviews are true after purchase then it's not much of a loss. But if it's expensive, then I'd go with another trusted brand that's available in your region. For ethernet I tend to go with in-store purchases first since I can return if not satisfied.

On 9/21/2021 at 12:06 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Why flat cable? I'd only choose this as my last resort because I'd rather have a slightly thicker cable with better insulation and less risk for breakage with bends and signal degradation.

Ironically I've had less problems with cheap flat cables than cheap normal cables.  Go figure.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7