1.6 volts Ryzen 7 5800x

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,
6 minutes ago, Erboon said:

Thanks for the reply! It was only running 1.6v in the bios and when that was set the bios gave me a warning when my computer booted up that my cpu is overvolted but I didn't stress test or ran any programs and I didnt even boot to windows in that voltage. When I saw it was running at 1.6v I swiftly defaulted it to prevent any damage. But yeah it only ran for a short time in that voltage and thank you for replying! Highly appreciated! 😄

Then that's perfectly fine. 

Hello! Im just wondering if I didnt damage my CPU. I accidentally set my cpu to 1.6 volts and in the bios it was going from 1.5 to 1.6 and whenever it went to 1.6 it would display red. I heard the max volts is 1.4 I'm just worried if I damaged my cpu but I QUICKLY defaulted it in the bios then tested all games and checked my cores and temps and everything seems to be ok I'm just worried if my CPU is damaged and I'm not really noticing it. I would appreciate for comments! :D

It's possible you put some wear and tear on it, degrading maximum performance a little

Even 1.4v is high unless you have excellent cooling, I recommend staying at/under 1.2v under load at 50C+

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Up to 1.5V default is only for short single core boosts. 

1.5V to 1.6V is definitely going to degrade your CPU in all-core load. (not that you would be able to cool it anyways) 

That said, you're fine if you only ran that briefly, nothing to worry about. 

6 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

It's possible you put some wear and tear on it, degrading maximum performance a little

Even 1.4v is high unless you have excellent cooling, I recommend staying at/under 1.2v under load at 50C+

Oh wow... Well I do own a water cooler for my CPU and its overclocked to 4.7 gigahertz but its staying in the 1.2v range and its normally 60c or very intense games sorta goes to the 70c range which is perfectly fine. But I havent booted in Windows when it was in 1.6v it gave me a warning then quickly changed so hopfully no damage has been done but if it did well damn that sucks...

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Up to 1.5V default is only for short single core boosts. 

1.5V to 1.6V is definitely going to degrade your CPU in all-core load. (not that you would be able to cool it anyways) 

That said, you're fine if you only ran that briefly, nothing to worry about. 

Thanks for the reply! It was only running 1.6v in the bios and when that was set the bios gave me a warning when my computer booted up that my cpu is overvolted but I didn't stress test or ran any programs and I didnt even boot to windows in that voltage. When I saw it was running at 1.6v I swiftly defaulted it to prevent any damage. But yeah it only ran for a short time in that voltage and thank you for replying! Highly appreciated! 😄

41 minutes ago, Erboon said:

Hello! Im just wondering if I didnt damage my CPU. I accidentally set my cpu to 1.6 volts and in the bios it was going from 1.5 to 1.6 and whenever it went to 1.6 it would display red. I heard the max volts is 1.4 I'm just worried if I damaged my cpu but I QUICKLY defaulted it in the bios then tested all games and checked my cores and temps and everything seems to be ok I'm just worried if my CPU is damaged and I'm not really noticing it. I would appreciate for comments! 😄

No do not

Id say 1.5v absolute maximum, and thats already really sketcy

1.45v is a max that i reccomend

My rule of thumb is just go and see how high of a voltage extreme overclockers go then -0.3v and you get a max safe voltage, most extreme ocers that ive seen seem to go max 1.75v on ryzen which equals 1.45v if my rule of thumb is applied so going over 1.45v is sketchy

8 minutes ago, Erboon said:

I havent booted in Windows when it was in 1.6v

Oh, in that case it probably didn't even hurt anything

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

6 minutes ago, Erboon said:

Then that's perfectly fine. 

7 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Oh, in that case it probably didn't even hurt anything

Thanks for the reply tho! I recently got that cpu and it would've sucked if it was damaged already lol. 😅