5600x hits 95C on Prime95

Filingo

I just installed my 5600x and b550 Tomahawk and I ran Prime95 for 10 seconds and the temp is:

image.png.819a82fe9ef911acf10a4f7a9b210d5a.png

I am using stock cooler and enabled the automatic CPU boost option in the BIOS and XMP1 profile.

On idle temp is 49-53C

I saw that the stock cooler came with a thermal paste applied to it. I did not remove any sticker because there was no such sticker on it... or was it?

2 minutes ago, Filingo said:

I just installed my 5600x and b550 Tomahawk and I ran Prime95 for 10 seconds and the temp is:

I am using stock cooler and enabled the automatic CPU boost option in the BIOS and XMP1 profile.

On idle temp is 49-53C

I saw that the stock cooler came with a thermal paste applied to it. I did not remove any sticker because there was no such sticker on it... or was it?

that might be part of the reason

also if you mean sticker as in plastic seal, yeah... you might want to remove that

Just now, Finnegan1616 said:

that might be part of the reason

also if you mean sticker as in plastic seal, yeah... you might want to remove that

Wait, the stock cooler had a sticker on it? I could swear there was none. Should i remove the coolr and check now?

According to AMD 95c is expected, at least with the stock cooler: https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-views-ryzen-5000-cpu-temperatures-up-to-95c-as-typical-and-by-design/

Just now, Filingo said:

Wait, the stock cooler had a sticker on it? I could swear there was none. Should i remove the coolr and check now?

If it had pre-applied thermal paste there wouldn't be a sticker on the paste, you should be good.

If there was a sticker (which I don't think stock AMD coolers have) that would contribute to this.

However.. 5600x stock cooler + "CPU Boost option" (can you be more detailed on this?) + Prime95 sounds like recipe for temps like this.

Try Cinebench R23 instead as it'll produce a much more realistic load. 

1 minute ago, Filingo said:

I thought you said you didn't remove a sticker?

edit: just read more thoroughly, nvm

keep in mind that stock coolers aren't known for incredibly awesome performance, but there could be a sticker, then again that's rare unless it came with pre-applied thermal paste

1 minute ago, RiktigaRonny said:

According to AMD 95c is expected, at least with the stock cooler: https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-views-ryzen-5000-cpu-temperatures-up-to-95c-as-typical-and-by-design/

If it had pre-applied thermal paste there wouldn't be a sticker on the paste, you should be good.

Its "safe" however his clockspeed is absolutely suffering up that high. 

Just now, rickeo said:

Its "safe" however his clockspeed is absolutely suffering up that high. 

yeah, they should be good up until like 110 or smth

modern cpus also thermal throttle well before they get damaged, but at the same time, in this case the problem is thermal-throttling, which is dropping the performance

12 minutes ago, Filingo said:

On idle temp is 49-53C

I think you should have gone for a b550a pro and atleast swapped the cooler for a cheap tower like the freezer 34 or se 224 xt

5 minutes ago, Finnegan1616 said:

I thought you said you didn't remove a sticker?

edit: just read more thoroughly, nvm

keep in mind that stock coolers aren't known for incredibly awesome performance, but there could be a sticker, then again that's rare unless it came with pre-applied thermal paste

The last sentence was confusing because others have said that if it came pre-applied with thermal paste it would not have a sticker.. is it a typo? OR, there IS actually a sticker on the pre-applied paste?

6 minutes ago, rickeo said:

If there was a sticker (which I don't think stock AMD coolers have) that would contribute to this.

However.. 5600x stock cooler + "CPU Boost option" (can you be more detailed on this?) + Prime95 sounds like recipe for temps like this.

Try Cinebench R23 instead as it'll produce a much more realistic load. 

In the MSI Bios there is "Game Boost" button, now I noticed it simply turns on Precision Boost Overdrive
I turned it off, let's see

I would turn pbo off until you can get a decent cooler, which the stock one is not.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

1 minute ago, Filingo said:

The last sentence was confusing because others have said that if it came pre-applied with thermal paste it would not have a sticker.. is it a typo? OR, there IS actually a sticker on the pre-applied paste?

In the MSI Bios there is "Game Boost" button, now I noticed it simply turns on Precision Boost Overdrive
I turned it off, let's see

if it had pre-applied paste, is almost certainly DID have a sticker

if it didn't come with pre-applied paste (which sounds like the case) it almost certainly did NOT have a sticker

it might just be the cooler being a free cooler that comes with the CPU, or it could just be Prime 95 being too strenuous, hard to say, but the odds of there being a sticker are low

I turned it off, now temp is no more than 80C.

What budget stock cooler would you recommend? I actually have an old post here about a cooler for this CPU (I posted it before I got ). I'll revisit this post now 

Just now, Finnegan1616 said:

if it didn't come with pre-applied paste (which sounds like the case) it almost certainly did NOT have a sticker

it might just be the cooler being a free cooler that comes with the CPU, or it could just be Prime 95 being too strenuous, hard to say, but the odds of there being a sticker are low

But it did come with pre-applied thermal paste

But it was not a sticker. The entire cooler came in a plastic box, which was inside a cardboard box, and the part with the thermal paste was in the air so nothing touched it

10 minutes ago, Filingo said:

I turned it off, now temp is no more than 80C.

What budget stock cooler would you recommend? I actually have an old post here about a cooler for this CPU (I posted it before I got ). I'll revisit this post now 

Hyper 212 Black or RGB edition. If in your budget an eSports Duo from Arctic would be even better

3 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Hyper 212 Black or RGB edition. If in your budget an eSports Duo from Arctic would be even better

right now they're almost the same price. as soon as there is some sort of deal I'll get it

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Yeah the Stealth isn't really an amazing cooler. Would definitely upgrade.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

7 hours ago, Finnegan1616 said:

You have that backwards. If there is pre-applied paste, there is usually (never?) a sticker. Think about it. How would a sticker stick to paste? Pasted coolers usually have a plastic cap that would physically prevent installation. 

Coolers with no paste have a sticker to prevent scratches on the bare metal. 

Thanks guys!

So it's just a shi**y cooler that doesn't fit its job!

Also, I think I went overkill with B550 Tomahawk for 5600x didn't I? I gotta stop looking at those VRM tables as if I'm an overclocker or something lol, in my case it didn't help with temperatures 😛 forget about the cooler first haha

Should I replace the Tomahawk with something less overkill in my case?

Although my PING in speedtest went down from 7-9 to 6 so that's nice 😄

48 minutes ago, Filingo said:

Thanks guys!

So it's just a shi**y cooler that doesn't fit its job!

Also, I think I went overkill with B550 Tomahawk for 5600x didn't I? I gotta stop looking at those VRM tables as if I'm an overclocker or something lol, in my case it didn't help with temperatures 😛 forget about the cooler first haha

Should I replace the Tomahawk with something less overkill in my case?

Although my PING in speedtest went down from 7-9 to 6 so that's nice 😄

The tomahawk is not exactly expensive. I wouldn't bother replacing.