repurpose c2q

what can I do to repurpose my old pc that has a c2q CPU 8600 gts gpu 4gn dual channel ddr2 ram and a g41 Mobo 

Use it as a NAS? Plex server? 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 minute ago, char3327 said:

@Surestgarlic2 You could sell it, use it as a server (might need some upgrades), or just recycle it...

I got it at a yard sale for $15 USD about a month ago got windows 7 installed and it ran very fast I just bought a ssd boot drive for it and I have a spare hd 5770 would that be good enough to use t as a server

@Surestgarlic2 Yah actually that might be pretty good. If you need help setting it up you can post questions in the Server/NAS sub forum! Hope this helps! 👍

15 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Even these old Core 2 Duo/Quad setups are surprisingly capable of office work--add a cheapo 128 GB SSD, 8 GB of RAM, and a fresh Windows 7 installation and it can juggle over twenty Chrome tabs without a hitch. You could wipe the data on your computer and donate it to someone who needs it, or it could do well as an office/home theater PC.

Yes they are capable and i have one, the issue that i faced with it was the motherboard. LGA775 boards (at least the ones i can find in my country) rarely support more then 4+gb of ram.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:37 PM, Surestgarlic2 said:

what can I do to repurpose my old pc that has a c2q CPU 8600 gts gpu 4gn dual channel ddr2 ram and a g41 Mobo 

maybe upgrade ram, gpu, and cpu

• 2 weeks later...

I have a old pc laying around with a c2q. and I also have 3 dvd drives and 2 hdd and a Nvidia Quadro fx 580 gpu what can I do with all of these parts I don't plan on using the computer for anything but what could I make out of all this stuff I don't care if it is ridiculous

What do you mean ? c2q? And is the quadro good at rendering? Id buy the gpu to put in a 2nd PC and set that to render things, if it does that well. Kinda done with HDD's and DVD drives though

If you give it away, I'll take that Quadro off your hands. 🙂 

1 minute ago, Floki3030 said:

c2q?

Core 2 Quad.

You could use it to rip a movie collection and act as a Plex server. It could also make a nice gaming machine for old games. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

All of the above. No reason it has to do only one job. Set it up, start playing with a NAS/Plex and see what it decides it wants to do.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I have an old pic that people keep telling me to use as a server or nas I don't know much about servers but what can they do also what would I need to upgrade?    

specs: core 2 quad not sure which one. 

8600 gts 

500gb 7200rpm hdd

4gb ddr2 ram dual channel

185 watt PSU ( I think)

if you want a nas go watch a freenas tutorial.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

SSD.

For the NAS route, you might look at Unraid. It's what I use. It's a lot more accepting of new drives and drives of different sizes. 

For a server, it would depend on what you want to have on it. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

SSD.

For the NAS route, you might look at Unraid. It's what I use. It's a lot more accepting of new drives and drives of different sizes. 

For a server, it would depend on what you want to have on it. 

I don't think I really have any use for a server honestly but I also don't know what all you can do with a server would I need to upgrade the gpu if I did turn this pc into a server

2 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

I don't think I really have any use for a server honestly but I also don't know what all you can do with a server would I need to upgrade the gpu if I did turn this pc into a server

The problem is "server" is such a wide term. Do you want to host games on it for yourself and LAN parties? Probably won't need more GPU. Might need more RAM though. If you go the Plex route, you might need a slight upgrade depending on what you wanted to stream with it. 

Basically, what I did with Oppbevaring(my NAS/Plex/Folding/Mining rig). I knew I wanted a NAS, so I started with that. I realized I had a spare 1070, added that to it and started doing some mining/folding(I split it just about 50/50 for time), and then realized what all Unraid could do, messed around with hosting things for friends and I on it (granted it's way more powerful than what you have) and that was Minecraft server, ARMA3 server, FiveM server for us to mess around on. 

If you go server route for the sake of having a server, it'll evolve into what it wants to be. If you start doing something you'll see what you need/want to upgrade. It'll tell you what it wants to be, just kind of have to start playing around with it. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Are you just hoping somebody is going to make a cool sexy brilliant suggestion nobody thought of in your 2-3 previous threads about this? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

As everyone has already said on the other posts you have made about this...plex server (with ssd upgrade), mc server? sell it? throw it in the garbage? vintage gaming pc?

-= Topics Merged =-

Once is enough.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER