Apple may face class action lawsuit over cracked screens in M1 MacBooks.

Arya Desai
1 hour ago, Nayr438 said:

I always find it funny how Apple and Samsung always get called out for problems that affect pretty much every other brand, in most cases caused by user error. I mean these are not even new problems, they have been problems for years. The only difference is people were apparently smart enough to not do idiotic things and admit when they did something wrong, compared to now where people expect to toss there device outside of a moving vehicle and still expect it to work, otherwise its the manufacturers fault.

While I don't want to give these companies a free pass, there is what I like to call Only Apple Does Bad Things syndrome — that is, people will act as if only Apple has manufacturing flaws or bad business practices, while ignoring how their favourite non-Apple brand can be as dodgy or worse.

Like this, for example. Cracked screens are bad, but this pales in comparison to the horror stories I've heard of with Dell, HP and other brands to this day. Laptops that need to be replaced multiple times. Batteries that rapidly lose capacity after just a year or two. And of course, some of them have inherently cheap designs that will fall apart under even mild abuse. Apple isn't immune to design flaws (hi, butterfly keyboard) or issues that crop up in real-world use, but now that the company seems to have addressed some of its "dark days" problems (2015 to late 2019) it's doing very well.

Samsung catches some unwarranted flak too, of course, although its willingness to make very low-cost phones means it's not immune to some of the problems inherent to those devices (cheap quality, sluggish performance, poor OS support).