MSI B450 motherboard will only take memory in slots A2 & B2

Hi everyone!

So I have a "new" rig that has a MSI Tomahawk Max B450 with a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. I'm using 2 new sticks of Corsair Vengeance RGB. The problem that I'm having is that the system won't POST with the memory in slots A1/B1, however, it will POST with the ram in B1/B2. 

To clarify, when I say the the system "won't POST", the system will power up and the lighting on the memory turns on, but it hangs there without the monitor coming on.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have a problem with the motherboard?

Thanks!

zog

That board should have some sort of debug leds, what do they say on no boot.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Page five, or more details on page 28, it's in the manual. https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v3.1.pdf

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

@dhannemon13 Thanks, not sure how I missed that, kinda obvious when you take a second look.

Side question, does anyone know why MSI setup the memory on the board this way?

Thanks for the advice and (ahem) being gentle about RTFM!

21 minutes ago, zogthegreat said:

@dhannemon13 Thanks, not sure how I missed that, kinda obvious when you take a second look.

Side question, does anyone know why MSI setup the memory on the board this way?

Thanks for the advice and (ahem) being gentle about RTFM!

Fun fact: I actually did stuck on why didn't my brother's B350M boot. Turns out, wrong slot. Put it on A1 and B1. 

Well, we really should RTFM for the things we curious into.

And, actually made me curious enough to searching about this. Good to know tho, never knew why we should either until I read this.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/why-are-we-putting-ram-sticks-into-2nd-and-4th-slot-first.3195865/

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC