Laptop cooling pad suggestions.

caleb1

Have a HP Pavillion 15.6" Gaming Laptop, i5 10300H, GTX 1650.  CPU gets very hot, fluctuating between 88 and 98 degrees centigrade while in game.  I hear this is somewhat normal for gaming laptops due to bad airflow in the small spaces, but still not ideal for best cpu performance and longevity.

Looking for a good laptop cooling pad that can drop the temp by 10 to 15 degrees.  Ideally drop it by 20 degrees, but that may be wishful thinking.

I have seen a few with mixed reviews regarding how many degrees it takes off.  Looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Kootek-Laptop-Cooling-Cooler-Adjustable/dp/B01469DJLM/ref=asc_df_B01469DJLM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198076677096&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4799941364653005880&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012028&hvtargid=pla-379048175922&psc=1#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

If you search the reviews for "degree" the majority of results seem to be pretty positive.

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to a good one?  Would like to spend under $30.

Thanks.

In my experience, it's mostly snake oil. Even if it does drop it a degree or two (which is going to be generous for something just blowing air at the chassis), when you're talking 88C+ temps, it's still hot. You're definitely not going to get a 10C+ drop, so just disabuse yourself of that pipe dream now.

There's some value in a pad in general, as it can potentially keep your legs from obstructing intake for the laptop while simultaneously keeping it separate from your lap itself so you don't necessarily feel the heat right on your body. You don't need anything actively cooled for that much, though.

Also, cooling pad fans tend to not be of the highest quality and are therefore very noisy, sometimes being louder than the laptops fans. Personally, I just wouldn't even bother.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I’ve never found a laptop cooling pad that did bupkis myself. To the point I think they are a croc. I did see a cookie sheet filled with water used to cool a laptop once that I found hard to argue with.  Specific situation though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve never found a laptop cooling pad that did bupkis myself. To the point I think they are a croc. I did see a cookie sheet filled with water used to cool a laptop once that I found hard to argue with.  Specific situation though.

Hah. That actually might work. In principle, it's just a lo-fi radiator. However, that's sinking the heat, not trying to blow it away. Just blowing room temp air at a chassis is fairly obvious bunk on the surface if you know even a little about thermodynamics.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

Hah. That actually might work. In principle, it's just a lo-fi radiator. However, that's sinking the heat, not trying to blow it away. Just blowing room temp air at a chassis is fairly obvious bunk on the surface if you know even a little about thermodynamics.

They might have put ice cubes in the water.  It was a video and a while ago.  I don’t recall.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

They might have put ice cubes in the water.  It was a video and a while ago.  I don’t recall.

Interesting nonetheless. I mean just a cookie sheet itself feels cold to the touch when you pick it up. That's a function of it sinking heat away. Add the miraculous thermal capacity of water into the mix, and it's even more effective, even without ice cubes. Not the most practical thing ever, but it'd be fun to try it out.

Thanks for the input.  I would agree that simply blowing room temp air at the chassis would probably not help.  But my laptops air intake is on the bottom....  so essentially it would be blowing air through the laptop, supplementing the laptops fans.....  if that makes a difference......

Since its a completely stock laptop, it probably knows its limitations and will throttle itself before it becomes dangerous, so I probably don't need to worry about it blowing up, just my cpu might not last that long.

8 minutes ago, caleb1 said:

Thanks for the input.  I would agree that simply blowing room temp air at the chassis would probably not help.  But my laptops air intake is on the bottom....  so essentially it would be blowing air through the laptop, supplementing the laptops fans.....  if that makes a difference......

Since its a completely stock laptop, it probably knows its limitations and will throttle itself before it becomes dangerous, so I probably don't need to worry about it blowing up, just my cpu might not last that long.

Don't forget to quote or tag people so they know you're replying to them 

In my experience if you want to buy cooling pad try to find the one that come with it's own power brick, they're pretty rare as far as I'm concerned but those are miles better than the usual usb powered one

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

15 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Interesting nonetheless. I mean just a cookie sheet itself feels cold to the touch when you pick it up. That's a function of it sinking heat away. Add the miraculous thermal capacity of water into the mix, and it's even more effective, even without ice cubes. Not the most practical thing ever, but it'd be fun to try it out.

There’s a video somewhere. Might have been LTT.  I watch a lot of those.  Laptop was silver so I suspect an aluminum bodied MacBook or some other single piece bottom no underside fan design.  Possibly some thermal tape in the thing too.  I didn’t pay a lot of attention.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:47 AM, Bombastinator said:

There’s a video somewhere. Might have been LTT.  I watch a lot of those.  Laptop was silver so I suspect an aluminum bodied MacBook or some other single piece bottom no underside fan design.  Possibly some thermal tape in the thing too.  I didn’t pay a lot of attention.

Yeah unless its metal sitting on the cookie tray it probably wouldn't work that well.  Like if the laptop had rubber feet.

Try getting 2 coolermaster Notepal U3.

then place the fans of 1 stand/pad onto the other, now you have 1 amazing laptop cooler that works great.

[this is what i do with my laptop]

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 9/4/2021 at 4:09 PM, Chris Pratt said:

In my experience, it's mostly snake oil. Even if it does drop it a degree or two (which is going to be generous for something just blowing air at the chassis), when you're talking 88C+ temps, it's still hot. You're definitely not going to get a 10C+ drop, so just disabuse yourself of that pipe dream now.

There's some value in a pad in general, as it can potentially keep your legs from obstructing intake for the laptop while simultaneously keeping it separate from your lap itself so you don't necessarily feel the heat right on your body. You don't need anything actively cooled for that much, though.

Also, cooling pad fans tend to not be of the highest quality and are therefore very noisy, sometimes being louder than the laptops fans. Personally, I just wouldn't even bother.

that's why people mod them... the stock fans suck, loud, and the mesh is restrictive and the mods fix all of that.

i guess you can test it first by propping up the laptop and taping a pc fan too it to see if temps drop before going balls deep in modding out a laptop cooler.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScLmTI5jJv8eVKU4-GZHV

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

39 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

that's why people mod them... the stock fans suck, loud, and the mesh is restrictive and the mods fix all of that.

i guess you can test it first by propping up the laptop and taping a pc fan too it to see if temps drop before going balls deep in modding out a laptop cooler.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScLmTI5jJv8eVKU4-GZHV

Never had a laptop that I think would benefit from that.  It’s not impossible though.  Would have to be a laptop that drew air from the bottom and they don’t all do that.  Then then it would be all about static pressure I suspect to overcome the impingement of all the angles and grills the air would have to push past to get more air into the machine. AIO radiator fans might work best. Maybe even a hamster wheel blower.  Possibly a gasket around the edge to make through the machine the lowest pressure way out.  Dunno.  I’d have to try it.

This actually makes a thought: a laptop with two voltages for the GPU, one of which can only be activated if it’s in contact with a special laptop cooling pad that comes with the machine that effectively supercharges the blowing system to get enough cooling to keep the thing from over heating..  a dock of sorts.

Edited by Bombastinator

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Never had a laptop that I think would benefit from that.  It’s not impossible though.  Would have to be a laptop that drew air from the bottom and they don’t all do that.  Then then it would be all about static pressure I suspect to overcome the impingement of all the angles and grills the air would have to push past to get more air into the machine. AIO radiator fans might work best. Maybe even a hamster wheel blower.  Dunno.  I’d have to try it.

hmm that's a good point. i think they do make fans that can be added to the side. i mean if you really want you can cut the grill out.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

17 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

hmm that's a good point. i think they do make fans that can be added to the side. i mean if you really want you can cut the grill out.

True.  I see potential problems though. Cut the grill out of the bottom of a laptop you could compromise its structural integrity.  Also there’s all the rest of it you can’t cut away at all.  Hamster wheel fan could work real good for side intake.  Such fans blow 90° from their draw by definition

Edited by Bombastinator

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

True.  I see potential problems though. Cut the grill out of the bottom of a laptop you could compromise its structural integrity though.  Also there’s all the rest of it you can’t cut away at all.

well i guess it just depends on the laptop on what mods you can do to it. but the way i see it if you got bottom intake get a cooling pad. some are for desktop and some are for in lap. mod it to cool better and quieter. even taller rubber feet would probably help. i mean laptops are known to run hot, thermal throttle. i would imagine cooler, quieter laptops probably come at a cost. i dont get why people daily drive a laptop at home but they do...

4 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

well i guess it just depends on the laptop on what mods you can do to it. but the way i see it if you got bottom intake get a cooling pad. some are for desktop and some are for in lap. mod it to cool better and quieter. even taller rubber feet would probably help. i mean laptops are known to run hot, thermal throttle. i would imagine cooler, quieter laptops probably come at a cost. i dont get why people daily drive a laptop at home but they do...

My memory is that started in Japan because people had space problems.  Laptops are small.  Even really big ones.  New York apartments for example are famously small.  I can see it spreading.  What doesn’t make sense is doing it in some Utah ranch house or something.

Edited by Bombastinator

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My memory is that started in Japan because people had space problems.  Laptops are small.  Even really big ones.  New York apartments for example are famously small.  I can see it spreading.  What doesn’t make sense is doing it in some Utah ranch house or something.

i no that japan, china so on are poor and dont have much space as you said. this is why i have 30sfc, 30 japness n64, 140 n64 controllers, 350 sfc controllers....there cheap to buy and it takes up space plus they have no shame in emulating it. so makes sense.

snesn64 002.jpg

snesn64 008.jpg

n64 nuts 004.jpg

nes snes sfc n64 007.jpg

pc update 009.jpg

pc update 010.jpg

I wouldn’t call Japan poor. I’d just call Tokyo tight living space. Laptops aren’t cheap for their performance after all.  

Wow.  That’s a lot of old plastic.  I recall someone talking about a dip once that put the original color back into yellowed plastic.  Some sort of chemical reaction thing.  Didn’t stop it, just reset it.  Had to do with what produced the yellowing in the first place.  I don’t remember much.  Was easy though.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I wouldn’t call Japan poor. I’d just call Tokyo tight living space. Laptops aren’t cheap for their performance after all.  

Wow.  That’s a lot of old plastic.  I recall someone talking about a dip once that put the original color back into yellowed plastic.  Some sort of chemical reaction thing.  Didn’t stop it, just reset it.  Had to do with what produced the yellowing in the first place.  I don’t remember much.  Was easy though.

ya its called retro bright and there are a few ways of doing it. in water, uv light or the sun. I was thinking on trying it but decided not too. i thoght oping up 40ish n64 controller, systems and 50 sfc controllers and put them in the dish washer but its a paint the the ass so im not doing any more. but i got parts to fix the n64 joystic or replace them with an gc like stick. im about $25 can after the parts and was thinking of sell em at $40 each, the sfc controllers i got good quality d pads and button pads but i think i might need the start button and the l and r pads but prices whent up on ebay so i might ask for a discount as i got lots from them already.

as for the sfc systems i moded 10 systems to take north amaracan games so had to cut the slot to make it bigger. the n64 i cut the tab in the slot out so it take both games now. looking at maybe $75 for the sfc 2 controllers and $85 for the n64 1 controller. but haven't sold any yet still trying to get things sorted out.

the gamecube wave bird i was going to shell swap with a generic one in blue, orange, white, black, but price went up on thows too...

i was thinking on adding rgb to the sfc and gc controller ports as i paid too much for them but ill probly just take a loss on them. got mod chips for them too but one i did to mine 1 pin brok off...so i dont think ill try it agane

NINTENDO SUPER FAMICOM/SNES Converted Console Cart Slot Mod Plays US SNES  Games - £120.83 | PicClick UK

carttabs.jpg

n64mode 005.jpg

n64mods2 002.jpg

n64tab.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

18 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya its called retro bright and there are a few ways of doing it. in water, uv light or the sun. I was thinking on trying it but decided not too. i thoght oping up 40ish n64 controller, systems and 50 sfc controllers and put them in the dish washer but its a paint the the ass so im not doing any more. but i got parts to fix the n64 joystic or replace them with an gc like stick. im about $25 can after the parts and was thinking of sell em at $40 each, the sfc controllers i got good quality d pads and button pads but i think i might need the start button and the l and r pads but prices whent up on ebay so i might ask for a discount as i got lots from them already.

as for the sfc systems i moded 10 systems to take north amaracan games so had to cut the slot to make it bigger. the n64 i cut the tab in the slot out so it take both games now. looking at maybe $75 for the sfc 2 controllers and $85 for the n64 1 controller. but haven't sold any yet still trying to get things sorted out.

the gamecube wave bird i was going to shell swap with a generic one in blue, orange, white, black, but price went up on thows too...

i was thinking on adding rgb to the sfc and gc controller ports as i paid too much for them but ill probly just take a loss on them. got mod chips for them too but one i did to mine 1 pin brok off...so i dont think ill try it agane

NINTENDO SUPER FAMICOM/SNES Converted Console Cart Slot Mod Plays US SNES  Games - £120.83 | PicClick UK

carttabs.jpg

n64mode 005.jpg

n64mods2 002.jpg

n64tab.jpg

I mean super easy.  Like grocery store stuff easy.  Dump baking soda in water or something.  I don’t remember the mix though.  I didn’t pay a lot of attention.  I only had one thing left that could have used it and there wasn’t any point.  Who even wants a mac scsi scanner anymore?  Thing was badass for it’s day.  Highest resolution you could get outside of a drum scanner. 4800 dpi isn’t much anymore though.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I mean super easy.  Like grocery store stuff easy.  Dump baking soda in water or something.  I don’t remember the mix though.  I didn’t pay a lot of attention.  I only had one thing left that could have used it and there wasn’t any point.  Who even wants a mac scsi scanner anymore?

some shampoo can be used and there was a chemical you can add to water too.

25 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

some shampoo can be used and there was a chemical you can add to water too.

Wasn’t shampoo.  It was quick though like dip it half way in and half the thing was yellow and half was grey-white.  Had to do with the thing that happened to color it creating a chemical reaction and reversing that chemical reaction. Only worked with particular plastics.  Most of the stuff that turned yellow was that type of plastic though.

Edited by Bombastinator

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Wasn’t shampoo.  It was quick though like dip it half way in and half the thing was yellow and half was grey-white.  Had to do with the thing that happened to color it creating a chemical reaction and reversing that chemical reaction. Only worked with particular plastics.  Most of the stuff that turned yellow was that type of plastic though.

Edited by thrasher_565

33 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

Ah. So “retrobrite” isn’t a specialized product.  It’s peroxide. That would fit.