Good wired headphones for music under $200 USD

DarkEnergy

I currently own some Audio Technica m40x headphones that are 5 years old. The fake leather is long gone from the earpads and while I could replace them for about $20-$25, I'm also looking at other options. I recently purchased the Philips Fidelio X2HR and am.... underwhelmed. 

For reference I own: Sony WH-XB900N (known for their bass) and the m40x. 

I tend to listen to Santana when comparing headphones for their overall sound and I listen to Lorn for bass comparison. 

Compared to the m40x, the Fidelio's sound marginally better with slightly improved sub-bass and guitar sounds more (natural?). I was reading these have good sub-bass extension but compared to the m40x, it's really only a small improvement. 

The Sony XB900N headphones blows the socks off the others with the intense bass while still retaining good mids. 

In short, I'm looking for something that is durable, wired, and sounds like the XB900N and X2HR had a baby. Something with real good bass but retains good mids and highs for instrumentals. I'm looking at the beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm version as an option. Is there such a thing as open backs with good bass? I'd prefer not needing an amp. My computer could most likely handle 80 Ohms fine, I'm not sure my iPod photo can though. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

12 hours ago, DarkEnergy said:

I currently own some Audio Technica m40x headphones that are 5 years old. The fake leather is long gone from the earpads and while I could replace them for about $20-$25, I'm also looking at other options. I recently purchased the Philips Fidelio X2HR and am.... underwhelmed. 

For reference I own: Sony WH-XB900N (known for their bass) and the m40x. 

I tend to listen to Santana when comparing headphones for their overall sound and I listen to Lorn for bass comparison. 

Compared to the m40x, the Fidelio's sound marginally better with slightly improved sub-bass and guitar sounds more (natural?). I was reading these have good sub-bass extension but compared to the m40x, it's really only a small improvement. 

The Sony XB900N headphones blows the socks off the others with the intense bass while still retaining good mids. 

In short, I'm looking for something that is durable, wired, and sounds like the XB900N and X2HR had a baby. Something with real good bass but retains good mids and highs for instrumentals. I'm looking at the beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm version as an option. Is there such a thing as open backs with good bass? I'd prefer not needing an amp. My computer could most likely handle 80 Ohms fine, I'm not sure my iPod photo can though. 

Do you want quality or quantity in the bass? You won't get very much subbass on open backs, that is just how it works. There are many headphones that has better bass than many closed backs. It is just a matter of how they are tuned, the pads and the space between the ears and the driver etc. 

The 770 pro 80ohm are fine just not up to par with the 250ohms for what I've heard. The 250ohm will sound better when amped. The 80ohm isn't just the only calculation of needing or not needing an amp since the sensitivity is also a major part in that. All in that series of beyers are pretty hard to drive even if they are 80ohm. The thing most people think is, I will probably get enough volume. But in reality volume isn't the only thing. It is about how well the whole frequency range can sound throughout and not sounding sloppy or losing detail. If you've got one of the newest onboard audio then you might get away with it fine but an amp will definitely improve the sound coming out and a cleaner seperate DAC.

If you do not want to get an amp just skip this part

From Hifiman's store you can find a pair of HE400i 2020 edition which states that they are opened but in reality just shown off or just tested. I haven't listened to these but based off of reviews they are very good planar magnetics for their price.

They are really fast in terms of their driver tech and can play bass heavy stuff without distorting the rest in the FR better compared to dynamic headphones.

They are also more open than the X2HR's and have better imaging. These are quite balanced but are more bass light and pretty rolled off in the subbas region than others you've got. You can always EQ but I can't tell how good it'll turn out but I think they respond well to EQ.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Personally wouldn't go any 770 if you want good mids especially not the 80 ohm or lower the 250 ohm is fine but does need a warm source to get decent mids. While many might disagree I think the meze 99 noir might be a good pick. Good strong bass response half decent mids and decent treble  definitely a more fun signature. But if you do want a good all rounder with good bass good mids and treble the akg k371 would be another great pick imo. The bass response is just not as strong as the sony or the meze.