"Aggression from video games linked to incompetence" a new research study has found

I personally found this article quite interesting actually, it talks about how teens playing over 3 hours of games can cause complications in the real world and "hold back the moral maturity" of the teens, also why games with violence as a main theme generally cause less "rage" than not actually being able to work out the mechanics of the game caused a lot more of a stir than just blood and guts 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26921743- source BBC NEWS

It's unusual to see an angry winner.

Speaking of being able to work things out, how old was that kid who found the Xbone security hole? 5?

Not on league of legends it isnt, they seem to go off the trolley and become huge trolls if they win, can get tiring sometimes!

Link is not working.

I am playing a lot of games and I cant say that I am mature but does it have to do with this really? I see a lot of people that are not mature either and does not play games. About rage, everyone rages. There are individuals who rage a lot but I think that has nothing to do with playing games as they would rage on something else if they werent playing them.

Oh god when will these "studies" end?  

when these scientific haters stops being one sided douchebags, seriously which kind of people do they question or test about this but obviously it ain't the common person

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I personally found this article quite interesting actually, it talks about how teens playing over 3 hours of games can cause complications in the real world and "hold back the moral maturity" of the teens, also why games with violence as a main theme generally cause less "rage" than not actually being able to work out the mechanics of the game caused a lot more of a stir than just blood and guts 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26921743- source BBC NEWS

First of all, fix the link to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26921743

Second of all, claim they make should be 'playing 3+ hours of games a day slows down social maturity', not 'moral maturity'. It is not the same. Even then I wouldn't fully agree, as multiplayer games require more cooperation, than most of other modern social interactions. The biggest problem is that people still feel they can be dicks on the internet, freely and unpunished. That's your slow down there. Takes a bit of brain power and some logic to figure this out, without extensive research.

Here's the first reason why I'm skeptical: While this guy has credentials, he has been not-so-subtlety denouncing videogames and technology in general for years:

Articles

Przybylski, A.K. (2014) Who believes electronic games cause real-world aggression? Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking.
Przybylski, A.K., Deci, E.L., Rigby, C.S., and Ryan, R. M. (2014) Competence-impeding electronic games and players' aggressive feelings, thoughts, and behaviors. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
Weinstein, N., Legate, N., and Przybylski, A.K. (2013) Beauty is in the eye of the psychologically fulfilled: How need satisfying experiences shape aesthetic perceptions of spaces. Motivation and Emotion 37 (2) 245-260.
Weinstein, N., Przybylski, A.K., and Ryan, R.M. (2013) The integrative process: New research and future directions. Current Directions in Psychological Science. 22 (6) 69-74.
Przybylski, A.K., Murayama, K., DeHaan, C.R., and Gladwell, V. (2013) Motivational, emotional, and behavioral correlates of fear of missing out. Computers in Human Behavior 29 (4) 1814-1848.
Weinstein, N., Przybylski, A.K., and Ryan, R.M. (2012) The index of autonomous functioning: Development of a scale of human autonomy. Journal of Research in Personality 46 (4) 397-413.
Przybylski, A. K., and Weinstein, N. (2012) Can you connect with me now? How the presence of mobile communication technology influences face-to-face conversation quality. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships. DOI: 10.1177/0265407512453827.
Weinstein, N., Ryan, W.S., DeHaan, C.R., Przybylski, A.K., Legate, N., and Ryan, R.M. (2012) Parental autonomy support and discrepancies between implicit and explicit sexual identities: Dynamics of self-acceptance and defense. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 102 (4) 815-832.
Przybylski, A.K., Weinstein, N., Murayama, K., Lynch, M.F., and Ryan, R.M. (2012) The ideal self at play: The appeal of videogames that let you be all you can be. Psychological Science 23 (1) 69-76.
Przybylski, A.K. (2012) We'll miss you Steve: How the death of a technology innovator emotionally impacts those who use and love his digital devices. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking 15 (7) 335-338.
Przybylski, A.K., Rigby, C.S., and Ryan, R.M. (2010) A motivational model of videogame engagement. Review of General Psychology 14 (2) 154-166.
Przybylski, A.K., Weinstein, N., Ryan, R.M., and Rigby, C.S. (2009) Having to versus wanting to play: Background and consequences of harmonious versus obsessive engagement in video games. CyberPsychology & Behavior 12 (5) 485-492.
Weinstein, N., Przybylski, A.K., and Ryan, R.M. (2009) Can nature make us more caring? Effects of immersion in nature on intrinsic aspirations and generosity. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 35 (10) 1315-1329.
Przybylski, A.K., Ryan, R.M., and Rigby, C.S. (2009) The motivating role of violence in video games. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 35 (2) 243-259.
Ryan, R.M., Rigby, C.S., and Przybylski, A.K. (2006) Motivation pull of video games: A Self-determination theory approach. Motivation and Emotion 30 (4) 347-365.

http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/?id=328

I'm no academy man but if you've been beating the same horse for 8 years and you build your professional career around it, you're going to look for cases that fit your hypothesis and not the other way around. Of course I could be totally wrong but again, I'd question that right off the bat.

-------

Current Rig

-------

More over, I got to think how does this type of research works? This person works at the university of oxford doing his research, so I searched for a disclosure of the funding:

The University of Oxford's total research income for 2010/11 totalled £500.5 million. Of this sum, £123.9 million was received in HEFCE research funding, and £376.6 million was received from externally funded grants and contracts.

http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/?id=328

So most of the University of Oxford profit comes from research and most research comes from externally funded grants and contracts

In 2011/12, the University had an income of £1,016m; key sources were research grants (£409m), teaching funding (£204m), and academic fees (£173m).[63] The colleges had a total income of £361m,[64] of which £47m was flow-through from the University.[63]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Oxford

So that got me thinking, there must be a public disclosure of those external funding grants, and yep turns out there are:

Oxford’s research funding 2009/10

Research Councils
£112.9m
UK Charity £112.7m
UK Industry £14.1m
European Commission & other EU Government Bodies £24.4m
UK Government & Health Authorities £38.1m
Other UK and Overseas Sources £64.8m

Total External Research Funding £367.0m
HEFCE Research Funding £119.4m
Total Funding for Research £486.4m

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/introducing_oxford/annual_review/past_annual_reviews/annual_review_200910/external_research.html

Now maybe this will be too cynical for you guys and yes I'm barely willing to track this down any further, but should we assume all the external funding is granted out of the goodness of their hearts? Or could there be politically motivated interests funding this particular Researcher? I mean within his department of "experimental psychology" you'd think there would be much more pressing matters to dedicate funding to?

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'll call this lecture he gives strike 3:

http://webcast.oii.ox.ac.uk/shared/flowplayer/flowplayer.swf

The lecture he gives is not too long in case you're interested in the man behind the article. First of all he makes some pretty glaring and obvious mistakes for anyone who's remotely a gamer like saying that only aggressive people enjoy aggressive video games and people without aggressive tendencies actually dislike aggressive video games. So yeah, let's just say that most of us will disagree on that to put it lightly.

Second he goes on to talk about social media and he carelessly spins it to say "oh yeah this people are more likely to use social media while driving, this obviously has important policy implications". Yeah you got that right there on the video: Mr. Psychology just said that facebook obsessions have important policy implications because you are more likely to crash your fucking car because you wanted to check social media.

I'm sure his research hits all major marks to appear as very serious and very valid but he's flatout saying (both in regards of videogames and social media) that they have "important policy implications" Here's another important implication: Policy makers are likely funding your "studies" and that's why you're overly concerned about finding said implications when talking to students instead of you know, talking more about your methodologies, your hypothesis, etc.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Linked is such a strong word. How about correlates but has nothing o do with one another. It is like saying a person with cats is lonely therefore a person who likes cats is a lonely person. Or in actual fact a person with cats was lonely before they had a cat and they had a cat to feel less lonely. I hate all physiological studies simply because they are all un-scientific in their entirety. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Screw those "studies" @Misanthrope gave a good explanation of their authors. I simply couldn't care less about them,

Also, I think hardcore LOL players are kinda childish, and not real gamers in a traditional sense. And also, those "tournaments" and all that MLG crap is giving me diarrhea. It's an insult to us pc gamers IMHO.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.