How do I figure out of my hdmi cables and ports on my pc are 1.4 or 2.0 without a 4k monitor?

nelska

I have a b250 pc mate mobo and a kg251q monitor. It came with an hdmi cord. but I duno if its 1.4 or 2.0. My gpu is a 2.0 hdmi port but I duno what hdmi my mobo supports. its only a 1080p 240hz monitor so I'm assuming its a hdmi 1.4 cord. So, I'd not want to use that on my gpu. But, if my b250 pc mate mobo is hdmi 1.4  I could plug and play that there. Any answers? I went to msi's specs page and it literally just says "hdmi"

Maybe I understand it wrong, but you should not plug a monitor into your motherboard if you have a dedicated graphics card. 

The spec sheet of the motherboard should tell you the type, from the resolutions supported it looks like its 1.4

Most cables will work fine with any type, and normally say on the specs.

Why not plug it and and use it, hdmi 2 won't matter here as your monitor doesn't need the bandwidth.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The spec sheet of the motherboard should tell you the type, from the resolutions supported it looks like its 1.4

Most cables will work fine with any type, and normally say on the specs.

Why not plug it and and use it, hdmi 2 won't matter here as your monitor doesn't need the bandwidth.

if its a 1.4 hdmi cable im not plugging it into a hdmi 2.0 port. lol.

239532724_239704968032636_5418961515573689423_n.jpg

Just now, nelska said:

f its a 1.4 hdmi cable im not plugging it into a hdmi 2.0 port. lol.

It doesn't work that way. They use the exact same pysical connector.

Also don't plug the monitor into your motherboard, plug it into your gpu.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It doesn't work that way. They use the exact same pysical connector.

Also don't plug the monitor into your motherboard, plug it into your gpu.

I have integrated graphics turned on. it works fine this way. But, How come all I hear is 1.4 is 10gbps and 2.0 is 18gbps. on the same exact cable? are the ports the only thing heres thats got an upgrade? nothings labeled. im lost here. about that

msi support just said the port is 1.4. on the b250 pc mate.( my mobo). acer said the cable is 1.4. I'm not plugging that into my gpu. lol.

2 minutes ago, nelska said:

I have integrated graphics turned on. it works fine this way. But, How come all I hear is 1.4 is 10gbps and 2.0 is 18gbps. on the same exact cable? are the ports the only thing heres thats got an upgrade? nothings labeled. im lost here. about that

msi support just said the port is 1.4. on the b250 pc mate.( my mobo).

Why does hdmi matter here? Its exactly the same physically, and your monitor can't use the extra data that 2.0 supports.

Why does hdmi matter here? Its exactly the same physically, and your monitor can't use the extra data that 2.0 supports.

I think my monitor has 2 different version of hdmi ports. but came with a 1.4 cable. I'm not totally sure here.

Just now, nelska said:

I think my monitor has 2 different version of hdmi ports. but came with a 1.4 cable. I'm not totally sure here.

HDMI 2.0 won't matter at all here. A 1080p 144hz montior can't use enough data for 2.0 to be needed. Just plug it and and use it.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Only reason I'm using hdmi is because it can do refresh rates that display port cannot do. displayport wont display anything under 50hz. while hdmi supports refresh rates as low as 23hz. for like super slow instant replays lol. I am using integrated graphics to display the lower refresh rates as the gpu isnt as necessary to do such a thing.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

HDMI 2.0 won't matter at all here. A 1080p 144hz montior can't use enough data for 2.0 to be needed. Just plug it and and use it.

but if the gpu ports 2.0. and the cable is 1.4 i dont want to bridge that connection lol. there are 2 hdmi ports on my monitor i believe ones a 2.0 and the others a 1.4.. lol.

Just now, nelska said:

Only reason I'm using hdmi is because it can do refresh rates that display port cannot do. displayport wont display anything under 50hz. while hdmi supports refresh rates as low as 23hz. for like super slow instant replays lol.

HOw would a lower fps allow a super slow instand replay? Normally if you want slow mo, capture at 144hz, and then slow down during editing.

Also running games off the igpu will be much slower, or will have a performance imact by copying the files form the files from the dgpu.

1 minute ago, nelska said:

but if the gpu ports 2.0. and the cable is 1.4 i dont want to bridge that connection lol. there are 2 hdmi ports on my monitor i believe ones a 2.0 and the others a 1.4.. lol.

2.0 won't matter here. You monitor can't use the extra speed. It will work fine at 1.4 here.

Does it work when its plugged in?

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

HOw would a lower fps allow a super slow instand replay? Normally if you want slow mo, capture at 144hz, and then slow down during editing.

Also running games off the igpu will be much slower, or will have a performance imact by copying the files form the files from the dgpu.

2.0 won't matter here. You monitor can't use the extra speed. It will work fine at 1.4 here.

Does it work when its plugged in?

When I am done gaming I can literally park my gpu buy switching the monitors refresh rate. it recognizes the hdmi as monitor 2. so If you just go into display settings and switch it over to integrated graphics the gpu goes into park. lol. see. through display port 240hz is capable of running at 60 hz but its maxing itself up to 85hz. if i change the cord then set it to 60hz. its a steady 60 hz because that cord can do as low as 23hz or as high as 120hz. is all im saying. catch my drift?

1 minute ago, nelska said:

When I am done gaming I can literally park my gpu buy switching the monitors refresh rate. it recognizes the hdmi as monitor 2. so If you just go into display settings and switch it over to integrated graphics the gpu goes into park. lol. see. through display port 240hz is capable of running at 60 hz but its maxing itself up to 85hz. if i change the cord then set it to 60hz. its a steady 60 hz because that cord can do as low as 23hz or as high as 120hz. is all im saying. catch my drift?

Your gpu also has power power states it uses when at idle, so your not saving much power this way. I wouldn't bother doing this for power savings, its just a watt or two.

acer just confirmed my cable is 2.0 so i can plug that into my gpu. but i would like to plug that into my mobo but it is only 1.4. which was confirmed by msi. so you guys are totally right here. the monitor came with a 2.0 cable so im using the 2.0 port on the gpu. assuming i do so I guess I'll also be saying goodbye to integrated graphics for not unless I want to break out an old school secondary monitor. which would be fun. hahaha

Your gpu also has power power states it uses when at idle, so your not saving much power this way. I wouldn't bother doing this for power savings, its just a watt or two.

its a twitch thing. I like resting my eyes at hdmi 60hz hdmi. personal preference when just browsing the web. simple as using both cords if your monitor supports dp and hdmi.

integrated graphics on with hdmi set at 60hz you can use the older secondary monitor without any interference.

dfghdfgh.jpg