GPU heat

Kim_NT
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
3 hours ago, Kim_NT said:

I do appreciate the replies. But i have idea how or what any of that means聽:old-unsure:

There's a temperature source setting for each fan curve. If you're using the cpu, see what peak temps the cpu is at during loads like gaming. You can set the point at the end of the fan curve to 100% rpm at that temperature.聽

2 hours ago, Kim_NT said:

Also i tried turning up my case fans by 15% on all. And it did nothing..聽 The temp was like 1-2 lower than usual. (tested in the same game in the same place as the picture above)

1-2c cooler from 76c is far from bad for raising case fan rpm by 15%. It gives a bit of headroom to lower graphics card fan rpm.

If you want less noise,聽lower the graphics card fan rpm.聽

But my 2 front fans seems to slow down just for a second before they go back up to normal speed. and they do this over and over (its pretty quick but still)

Raise the fan step up / down time and / or聽 flatten that section of the fan curve if fan speeds are changing too quickly.

I had that issue before and i ended up getting new fans because i was told by the computer repair shop that they were dying (broken)

[Reading comments here i understand that the temp itself is not bad. But its more the fan i'm worried about]

That may be the case if fans are doing that when set to run at 100% rpm but not if the fan is just following a fan curve.聽

I have also noticed one of the 2 gpu fans spin slowly when idle. without it being hot. Not really loud but it was spinning, and just one of them at that. That makes me confused and the only thing that would stop it was restarting my pc. (this is rare and mostly happens after being in the bios)

What graphics card do you have? The聽Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Super 8GB originally mentioned has 3 fans.

If the graphics card fans are identical but not spinning at the same speed, that may be a bad fan. In that case, contact Gigabyte for a replacement.聽

Hello.聽 I'm getting a little worried about my gpu temps lately. And i was hoping one of you could tell me more about this stuff. I'm not a tech person so i hope you can make sense of what i'm trying to say here 馃檪聽I hope its the right place i posted this.
For a while now i've had issues with my聽Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Super 8GB card being hot and loud as a hairdryer. I'm on the latest nvidia driver. and windows is updated too. (if that matters)
One picture is from idle (msi afterburner menu) and the other is ingame screenshot with MSI afterburner on (just standing still in the hub area)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz聽 聽 聽 聽 聽Ram: 32,0 GB聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽Windows 10 (updated)聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Super 8GB
INGAMEUntitled.thumb.png.bc949620428cc19668b279d2a6d2d8a4.png532632427_ingametempsUntitled.png.7625ab0b16649918c6e036695f963de5.pngIDLEUntitled.png.7dea7b95d009051b7e2cd4317e2d5c7c.png

A GPU temperature of 76 is fairly low, the GPU can safely operate in the range of 80 to 85 Celsius so if you reduce your fan speed and get a couple degrees, the tradeoff might be worth it in terms of noise.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black聽(with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux聽- Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I need?聽ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explained,聽group reg is bad

76C?聽Dude that's cool as a cucumber.

For reference, the junction temp of my 6700XT sits around 90C. It'll hit over 100C if I turn off the undervolt, and that's entirely within spec. Doesn't even throttle till it hits 110C.

Work Rigs -聽2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021聽16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X聽 |聽 MSI B550 Gaming Plus聽 |聽 64GB聽G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB | 聽AMD Reference RX 6800聽 |聽聽WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe聽 |聽 Corsair RM750聽 |聽 Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT聽 |聽 Corsair 4000D聽聽|聽聽Dell S2721DGF聽 |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X聽 |聽 MSI B550 Tomahawk聽 | 聽32GB聽G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |聽 AMD Reference 6800XT聽 | Creative Sound Blaster Z聽 |聽聽WD Black SN850 500GB聽NVMe聽 |聽 WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe聽 |聽 WD Blue 1TB聽SATA SSD聽 |聽 Corsair RM850x聽 |聽 Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT聽 |聽 Corsair 4000D聽聽|聽聽LG 27GP850聽 |

Those temps are great! The idle temp is likely due to the card shutting off the fans under a certain temp and is nothing to worry about.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D聽GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz聽CL16 32 GB聽PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

huh.. Thanks for the reply guys. Maybe i'm just worried for nothing then. Its just very loud, so i figured it was near the danger zone聽馃槵
The fans kick in few seconds after starting the game. So even in places where the game is not under heavy load it still likes to spin . Maybe that's just how this card likes it聽馃
oh and i should mention that i haven't touched any settings in MSI or changed anything related to my card or stuff like that. Its all default settings

Only thing you can maybe do is tweak the GPU fan curves so they gradually speed up instead of suddenly like they do now.

Post a pic of your fan curves - I鈥檓 guessing聽you鈥檒l see a steep incline at maybe 55-70 degrees?

59 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

Only thing you can maybe do is tweak the GPU fan curves so they gradually speed up instead of suddenly like they do now.

Post a pic of your fan curves - I鈥檓 guessing聽you鈥檒l see a steep incline at maybe 55-70 degrees?

This?aaaaaaUntitled.png.927637d7d4eec19de9e422051b6d4c0a.png

This?

Yes, you could make the fan curve less steep if you prefer less noise over more cooling.聽

How is your case airflow laid out? With some optimization, the graphics card fans might not need to run at high rpm.聽

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, you could make the fan curve less steep if you prefer less noise over more cooling.聽

How is your case airflow laid out? With some optimization, the graphics card fans might not need to run at high rpm.聽

2 in the front = in.聽 back and top = outDSC_0064.thumb.JPG.32c855bcd7efae770f253c28df43eae2.JPG

7 hours ago, Kim_NT said:

huh.. Thanks for the reply guys. Maybe i'm just worried for nothing then. Its just very loud, so i figured it was near the danger zone聽馃槵
The fans kick in few seconds after starting the game. So even in places where the game is not under heavy load it still likes to spin . Maybe that's just how this card likes it聽馃
oh and i should mention that i haven't touched any settings in MSI or changed anything related to my card or stuff like that. Its all default settings

sorry had to...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

12 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

sorry had to...

That's okay. I could hear the song in my head when i wrote that 馃槃

On 8/27/2021 at 1:44 AM, WoodenMarker said:

You gave me something to think about here. I did consider if the airflow was bad.. And did some research. I have the nzxt h510 case. And looking online i'm not exactly getting good reviews in, like the front is kinda closed off so intake is limited and so on. I got the case with my pre-build computer (sorry tech people.. I admit it was pre-build) and didn't think about stuff like this. Since you asked about airflow i will assume you know a thing or two about it. And maybe point me in the right direction 馃檪聽聽
1. Should i consider a different case?
2. is it bad that my case fans doesn't spin at the same speed? would that uh.. disrupt (?) the flow and make it hard for the gpu to get rid of the heat?聽
All my case fans are 120mm be quiet silent wings 3. I'm pretty sensitive to noise when i'm sitting at my pc reading or whatever. So i tried to find fans that doesn't make too much noise

DSC_0064.JPG

17 hours ago, Kim_NT said:

I have the nzxt h510 case. And looking online i'm not exactly getting good reviews in, like the front is kinda closed off so intake is limited and so on. I got the case with my pre-
1. Should i consider a different case?
2. is it bad that my case fans doesn't spin at the same speed? would that uh.. disrupt (?) the flow and make it hard for the gpu to get rid of the heat?聽
All my case fans are 120mm be quiet silent wings 3. I'm pretty sensitive to noise when i'm sitting at my pc reading or whatever. So i tried to find fans that doesn't make too much noise

A better case can help but probably isn't necessary.聽

Different fan speeds is fine but the front is more restrictive than the rear and top mounts. You can raise the front fan rpm for more neutral or positive pressure.聽

300-800rpm is also a bit on the low side. It's fine for idle but should ramp up closer to max rpm at load.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

A better case can help but probably isn't necessary.聽

Different fan speeds is fine but the front is more restrictive than the rear and top mounts. You can raise the front fan rpm for more neutral or positive pressure.聽

300-800rpm is also a bit on the low side. It's fine for idle but should ramp up closer to max rpm at load.

I see. The 300 one (cpu) ramps up as needed by itself. And never gets too hot. Never had it overheat before and it keeps cool. So no need to fiddle with that one 馃檪
I suppose i could raise the rpm of the front fans a little. Or try to make a curve in the bios thing somehow (haven't done it before)
I will look into it and see what i can do. Thanks for the reply聽

15 hours ago, Kim_NT said:

I see. The 300 one (cpu) ramps up as needed by itself. And never gets too hot. Never had it overheat before and it keeps cool. So no need to fiddle with that one 馃檪
I suppose i could raise the rpm of the front fans a little. Or try to make a curve in the bios thing somehow (haven't done it before)
I will look into it and see what i can do. Thanks for the reply聽

Try a synthetic load and see what temps the sensors reach. You can then use that max temp for 100% fan speed and tweak from there. The sensor closest to the graphics card would be best -- such as a pcie sensor. If not available, an ambient case temp or cpu temp would be the following best options.聽

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Try a synthetic load and see what temps the sensors reach. You can then use that max temp for 100% fan speed and tweak from there. The sensor closest to the graphics card would be best -- such as a pcie sensor. If not available, an ambient case temp or cpu temp would be the following best options.聽

I do appreciate the replies. But i have idea how or what any of that means聽:old-unsure:

This is my options for fan curve in bios. I couldn't fit all of it in 1 picture otherwise it would be too blurry (phone picture.. I don't know how to take bios screenshot)

DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0058.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

Also i tried turning up my case fans by 15% on all. And it did nothing..聽 The temp was like 1-2 lower than usual. (tested in the same game in the same place as the picture above)

Things i noticed that makes me think something is wrong with .. i dunno my motherboard or power supply?
My back and top fans spin at a constant speed all the time. as they should.
But my 2 front fans seems to slow down just for a second before they go back up to normal speed. and they do this over and over (its pretty quick but still)
I had that issue before and i ended up getting new fans because i was told by the computer repair shop that they were dying (broken)
Now i'm thinking they either get too little power or too much.聽聽(is that possible?)

About my gpu. when idle and not in game its around 45c but the moment i enter a game not even 2 minutes in, it reaches 70+ and fans spin at 85% speed. i do not remember my gpu going into loud mode when it was brand new.聽I got this computer on februray聽4. 2020 So its not even old yet either聽:old-unsure:
[Reading comments here i understand that the temp itself is not bad. But its more the fan i'm worried about]聽

I have also noticed one of the 2 gpu fans spin slowly when idle. without it being hot. Not really loud but it was spinning, and just one of them at that. That makes me confused and the only thing that would stop it was restarting my pc. (this is rare and mostly happens after being in the bios)

I can't help but wonder if the uh.. fan control on the card is damaged? the automatic one. Or if this is somehow a motherboard/power supply issue (considering the other thing i mentioned) I apologize for being a pain in the butt about this. but it just doesn't look normal to me.
And here is a little more info from my bios

DSC_0063.JPG

3 hours ago, Kim_NT said:

There's a temperature source setting for each fan curve. If you're using the cpu, see what peak temps the cpu is at during loads like gaming. You can set the point at the end of the fan curve to 100% rpm at that temperature.聽

1-2c cooler from 76c is far from bad for raising case fan rpm by 15%. It gives a bit of headroom to lower graphics card fan rpm.

If you want less noise,聽lower the graphics card fan rpm.聽

Raise the fan step up / down time and / or聽 flatten that section of the fan curve if fan speeds are changing too quickly.

[Reading comments here i understand that the temp itself is not bad. But its more the fan i'm worried about]

That may be the case if fans are doing that when set to run at 100% rpm but not if the fan is just following a fan curve.聽

What graphics card do you have? The聽Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Super 8GB originally mentioned has 3 fans.

If the graphics card fans are identical but not spinning at the same speed, that may be a bad fan. In that case, contact Gigabyte for a replacement.聽

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

I looked at the order email for the name of my hardware. And in that it says its a gigabyte.. But looking closer its actually not. its an聽ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER.. something.
How i never noticed that is beyond me.. oh well, too late to complain about that now.

Anyhow.. I belive my fans are set to "cpu" already in bios. I will take a look at it and see if i can figure it out. Thanks for the help