Performane below expected with a GTX 1660Ti mobile, why?

xVyrosa
Go to solution Solved by Stockholmes,
8 hours ago, xVyrosa said:

so should i get another 8gig of ram? because my ram is indeed single channel right now

You definitely should, dual channel is around 20% faster than single channel, on top of having twice the amount of RAM. If I remember right.

I have a laptop, brand new, windows 10 up-to-date, drivers installed, including GPU driver and everything else, my specs are i5-10300H 4 cores 8 logical processors, GTX 1660 ti mobile, 8gb ram 2966 ddr4 mhz. 144hz

laptop model: msi gaming gf65 thin 10sdr

Why are my games running so low on fps, minecraft doesnt go above 200 fps,csgo doesnt go above 170

I dont think ive done something wrong, and yes, I did select the high end nvidia processor in nvidia control panel, im using maximum performance, please help.

1 hour ago, xVyrosa said:

minecraft..., csgo...

Those are limited by the CPU, which in your case is likely limited by the (I assume) single channel 8GB RAM. It's not like it should matter that much, you're above the panel refresh rate and the latency difference is insignificant at that framerate.

1 hour ago, xVyrosa said:

I have a laptop, brand new, windows 10 up-to-date, drivers installed, including GPU driver and everything else, my specs are i5-10300H 4 cores 8 logical processors, GTX 1660 ti mobile, 8gb ram 2966 ddr4 mhz. 144hz

laptop model: msi gaming gf65 thin 10sdr

Why are my games running so low on fps, minecraft doesnt go above 200 fps,csgo doesnt go above 170

I dont think ive done something wrong, and yes, I did select the high end nvidia processor in nvidia control panel, im using maximum performance, please help.

8Gb of RAM is really cutting it fine for most games these days, especially given how memory hungry Windows 10 and all the background processes are.

12 hours ago, KaitouX said:

Those are limited by the CPU, which in your case is likely limited by the (I assume) single channel 8GB RAM. It's not like it should matter that much, you're above the panel refresh rate and the latency difference is insignificant at that framerate.

12 hours ago, KaTaLy5t-87 said:

8Gb of RAM is really cutting it fine for most games these days, especially given how memory hungry Windows 10 and all the background processes are.

so should i get another 8gig of ram? because my ram is indeed single channel right now

8 hours ago, xVyrosa said:

You definitely should, dual channel is around 20% faster than single channel, on top of having twice the amount of RAM. If I remember right.

12 hours ago, xVyrosa said:

I'd recommend it for sure. The recommended requirement to run Windows 10 is 4Gb of RAM, throw a few background apps on top of that and try to run a game and you're probably hitting 100% memory usage sitting on the main menu!

Bear in mind that it's recommended to run a matched pair of RAM sticks for best results so you should look for a 16Gb kit of RAM as opposed to just throwing another stick of 8Gb in with the RAM that's already there.