HDD: difference between 6GB/s and 12 Gb/s

ViruZ_HUN

So i see 2 kind of high speed HDDs, one is 12 Gb/s and other 6 Gb/s

This 12 GB/s is new for me, i never heard of it before?, whats the differnce?, can you connect it to a regular 6 Gb/s sata header on a motherboard and get its preformence?

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

You guys need to stop mixing up the capitals in the GB/s and Gb/s.

:lol: ...ya it bothers me too mate....

This 12 GB/s is new for me, i never heard of it before?, whats the differnce?, can you connect it to a regular 6 Gb/s sata header on a motherboard and get its preformence?

12Gb/s is in SAS. You do not use SAS in a gaming or home system. SAS is for high density RAID configurations in higher end servers. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

That is actaully 12Gb/s it means 12 Gigabits per seconds not Gigabytes per second...its only 1.5 GB/s

12Gb/s is in SAS. You do not use SAS in a gaming or home system. SAS is for high density RAID configurations in higher end servers. 

okay but whats the difference?

Example BF4.

Will 12 Gb/s load maps faster then a 6gb/s?

6GB/s is 48Gb/s

12Gb/s is 1.5GB/s

what?

okay but whats the difference?

Example BF4.

Will 12 Gb/s load maps faster then a 6gb/s?

what?

No. Again unless you want to get into servers. Don't even worry about SAS. Yes SAS will load things faster. However the drives spin A LOT faster, and are lower capacity. 

No. Again unless you want to get into servers. Don't even worry about SAS. Yes SAS will load things faster. However the drives spin A LOT faster, and are lower capacity. 

Just asked this questions because i never saw this drives and i never seen people even mention them on LTT...

I am not 100% sure but that I believe is the interface to a SAS card. SAS must now have the ability  to transfer 12Gb/s of data. That doesn't mean this hdd will transfer at 12Gb/s. This means you can put more hdd onto the SAS interface without congesting it.

Example. A HDD lets say transfers data at 100MB/s = 800Mb/s = 0.8Gb/s. This means you could attach 15 hdd to a single SAS interface card without having any of the hdd go slower than 100MB/s. (15 drives @ 0.8Gb/s = 12Gb/s total transfer).

I am far from an expert in this area so I could be way off but this is my 2 minute research educated guess. :)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Just asked this questions because i never saw this drives and i never seen people even mention them on LTT...

That's because most of the people on LTT are younger. They are more of the home computer enthusiast. A lot of people on the forum don't know much about servers. That is why it is not mentioned. 

*Disclaimer* I am not claiming anyone on this forum is by any means "stupid". Just saying that i don't believe many on the forums know much about Enterprise grade server solutions. 

I am not 100% sure but that I believe is the interface to a SAS card. SAS must now have the ability  to transfer 12Gb/s of data. That doesn't mean this hdd will transfer at 12Gb/s. This means you can put more hdd onto the SAS interface without congesting it.

Example. A HDD lets say transfers data at 100MB/s = 800Mb/s = 0.8Gb/s. This means you could attach 15 hdd to a single SAS interface card without having any of the hdd go slower than 100MB/s. (15 drives @ 0.8Gb/s = 12Gb/s total transfer).

It's actually 4 SAS drives to a SAS port. :) 

That's because most of the people on LTT are younger. They are more of the home computer enthusiast. A lot of people on the forum don't know much about servers. That is why it is not mentioned. 

*Disclaimer* I am not claiming anyone on this forum is by any means "stupid". Just saying that i don't believe many on the forums know much about Enterprise grade server solutions. 

aha, well most of the build topics where all about home PCs....

I am far from an expert in this area so I could be way off but this is my 2 minute research educated guess. :)

Thx, I thought that this SAS drives was something to care about:o

It's actually 4 SAS drives to a SAS port. :)

I made up the hdd transfer speed numbers so that would probably be why.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

aha, well most of the build topics where all about home PCs....

Thx, I thought that this SAS drives was something to care about:o

They are something to care about! Just for he home user. You wont ever have to worry about them unless you get into enterprise grade networking. 

They are something to care about! Just for he home user. You wont ever have to worry about them unless you get into enterprise grade networking. 

Did not understand the last part:(

"unless you get into enterprise grade networking."

Did not understand the last part:(

"unless you get into enterprise grade networking."

Unless as a profession, or as a very expensive hobby you want to start learning servers, and networking. You wont need to worry. 

You can use a 12G/S SAS drive if you really wanted, sure you'd need a SAS card or SAS to SATA converter but would only really benefit from the 12G/s if you have a proper 12G/s RAID/HBA that supports 12G/s. Then there's also the price. Its better suited for other use sure but if you have the money there's nothing preventing you from using it and it wouldn't be the first time someone used an enterprise product for home use, even gaming.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You can use a 12G/S SAS drive if you really wanted, sure you'd need a SAS card or SAS to SATA converter but would only really benefit from the 12G/s if you have a proper 12G/s RAID/HBA that supports 12G/s. Then there's also the price. Its better suited for other use sure but if you have the money there's nothing preventing you from using it and it wouldn't be the first time someone used an enterprise product for home use, even gaming.

but isnt it worser then regular HDDs in gaming?

also whats a SAS converter to SATA called? i mean product name?