Z590 with i9-11900K - Frequent freezes/blue screens - bug in Intel?

For what it's worth, the system doesn't shut down or anything - just completely freezes, the cursor stops moving, and nothing responds. Even waiting past that point, nothing resumes and I have to pull power or hit reset button.

I've been using high perf/no c-states in BIOS, no-XMP - full memory kit since Saturday - and have yet to have a freeze again. It really looks like this is a BIOS or CPU microcode issue.

Intel says they "doubt" it's their processor but is willing to do a replacement. ASRock and G.Skill are also happy to replace. This has been my first time interacting with these company's support teams and they've been great! 

I don't think I'm gonna replace my CPU - I doubt it would fix anything, especially if this is something Intel hasn't broadly fixed across their chipsets? Or am I misunderstanding and this is a flaw/bug in the Z590 controller?

2 hours ago, iransofaraway said:

For what it's worth, the system doesn't shut down or anything - just completely freezes, the cursor stops moving, and nothing responds. Even waiting past that point, nothing resumes and I have to pull power or hit reset button.

You dont use a PCI-E Riser cable right?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

5 hours ago, iransofaraway said:

@DarkSmith2correct

After research ive found several cases of freezes with Asrock Mainboards on alot of chipsets when C-States are enabled/ kicking in.

So it might actually be a bug related to the C-State function with Asrock boards.

Or just what @clausewitz said.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Ugh. I went with ASRock because their board had all the features I wanted and lots of SATA ports. Looks like maybe that wasn't so wise. I usually go with ASUS. But it looks like maybe they're having issues too?

I guess I'll just hope that Intel and the motherboard companies figure this crap out? Until then leaving C-States disabled seems to do the trick.

Welp, I went back to this config:

• One pair of RAM sticks (in correct slots) - returned/sold the other pair.
  • No XMP
  • Intel Adaptive Boost Enabled
  • ReBAR Enabled
  • Windows Balanced Power Mode
  • C-States Enabled

And was running fine for a few days, but just now had a system freeze. I've gone back into BIOS and disabled Intel Adaptive Boost, turned off C-States, and went to High Performance plan in Windows. It really looks like this is a bug in Intel's chipset or CPU.

Hi there. 

I created an account on here just to chime in. 

I was having the same exact issue when I installed a second kit of RAM, bringing me to 64 gigs. 4x 16gig DDR4 3200. 

I'm currently using a GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE AX motherboard. Before the install of the second kit, my system was running perfectly fine. A day after installing the second kit, ESO started crashing. Thought it was weird the first time, but then crashed again, with a 3rd time giving me a BSOD. 

I found a thread talking about disabling C-States and trying again, which I did. Seems to be working fine for the most part. I updated my drivers and was able to get about an hour of play before ESO crashed again, but this time it generated a crash report in the game. That was new. So idk. I jumped back in and it immediately crashed again. So it may have been just the game. No BSOD, no freezing. Just straight to desktop with a crash report for Bethesda. 

I loaded up red dead 2 and noticed my frames had dropped significantly, but not game-breaking. Ran fine for about 30 mins before I left the game.

Anyway, I'm not sure if my issue is the same as a yours, but it sure sounds like it, especially since we have the same processor. Again, this only started after installing a second kit. So my immediate thought was the RAM was bad, but that doesn't seem like the case. 

We have different boards, but same chipset based off the z590. 

Hope this bit of information helps. 

@PRDSATX thanks for sharing! I actually went back to one kit a while ago to try and rule that out since that was what folks originally thought it was. 

I’m tempted to roll back to an older BIOS. Wonder if it would help. 

7 hours ago, iransofaraway said:

@PRDSATX thanks for sharing! I actually went back to one kit a while ago to try and rule that out since that was what folks originally thought it was. 

Is it working fine with one kit? Or are you still getting BSOD? 

I jave similar issue, after i have rtx 3080ti evga ftw3, and then installed. For 3 weeks its okay, until i cleanup all. Clean and rebuild. Now having some random crash, bsod. And until i reinstall windows (have not reinstalled for almost 4 years old).

After reinstall i have good for weeks of 10 hours use everyday. Then making bsod again and random crash when gaming. 

I do not have c state enable all power saving its disable cause i am oc 9900k to 5.1 ghz.

And i suppose its GPU issue, evga 3090ti ftw3 this card its very hot. But after do something its not. So its cpu oc. But when i back to default. There is still random crash but its really random. Ussually when i idle in games.

Psu its not issue i use 850 RMX Gold psu. Still researching. Is there is possible maybe driver issues ? 

Or maybe resizeable bar its making stability issues ? Because before rtx 3080ti ftw3 i use rtx  2080ti and there is no resizeable bar before that.

4 hours ago, PRDSATX said:

If I reset BIOS to defaults, using one kit, and just run normal - eventually I get a freeze (could be hours, could be days). The only thing that has fixed the freezing for me long-term has been to disable C-States.

3 hours ago, rollyep said:

I jave similar issue, after i have rtx 3080ti evga ftw3, and then installed. For 3 weeks its okay, until i cleanup all. Clean and rebuild. Now having some random crash, bsod. And until i reinstall windows (have not reinstalled for almost 4 years old).

After reinstall i have good for weeks of 10 hours use everyday. Then making bsod again and random crash when gaming. 

I do not have c state enable all power saving its disable cause i am oc 9900k to 5.1 ghz.

And i suppose its GPU issue, evga 3090ti ftw3 this card its very hot. But after do something its not. So its cpu oc. But when i back to default. There is still random crash but its really random. Ussually when i idle in games.

Psu its not issue i use 850 RMX Gold psu. Still researching. Is there is possible maybe driver issues ? 

Or maybe resizeable bar its making stability issues ? Because before rtx 3080ti ftw3 i use rtx  2080ti and there is no resizeable bar before that.

I've tried it with and without ReBAR, and it doesn't seem to affect my crashiness.  When ReBAR first came out, though - I was having random GPU glitches/weirdness, and I have to think it was because of how new it all was. Now I have it enabled and it seems to work fine. EVGA has pushed out at least two firmware updates for my card since I bought it - if you run PrecisionX software it'll prompt to update BIOS. You probably should download latest version of that software and install the BIOS update. Keep in mind you have a switch on the card (at least some FTW models do) that lets you choose which BIOS you're running - it's good idea to maybe leave the standard BIOS alone and upgrade only the "OC" BIOS.

Right now where I'm at is - I have opened RMA's with ASRock and Intel. Intel has stated they do not have my actual model CPU in stock, and so I can either wait a long time, or get a replacement: "all these alternate parts are upgraded version with higher value, better performance and tested compatible to your system." So I'm going to take that, and see what model they send me. I'm not sure there's anything "better" than an 11900K, is there?

10 minutes ago, iransofaraway said:

I'm not sure there's anything "better" than an 11900K, is there?

10900k. its actually tested that it performs better in games than 11900k. for some reason. i believe GN or HU did a video about this.

anyway ive seen a lot of reports with 11th gen i9s crfashing in z590 chipset, but with z490 they are fine.

keep the C states disabled and wait couple days, if did not crash, enable XMP and wait again. seems liek we are playing waitign game now.

note: This is not 11th gen cpu problem, or AsRock problem, this is 11th gne cpu and z590 chipset combination problem.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

@SavageNeo thanks. so you don't think there's any value in me RMA'ing my motherboard and/or CPU? I guess I'm curious what they might send me as an equivalent/better. When I disable c-states it seems to work fine for  a long time. I have no way to like consistently get it to crash on command unfortunately. 

Just now, iransofaraway said:

RMA'ing my motherboard

Well, i personally hate the Asrock bios, so i would RMA it ot get better one, like MSI or Asus, they have great bioses. But that wont probably fix the problem. you could also downgrade to Z490 Asrock board and see if that helps.

1 minute ago, iransofaraway said:

CPU?

absolutely not. only better cpu is 10900k.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

1 minute ago, SavageNeo said:

Well, i personally hate the Asrock bios, so i would RMA it ot get better one, like MSI or Asus, they have great bioses. But that wont probably fix the problem. you could also downgrade to Z490 Asrock board and see if that helps.

absolutely not. only better cpu is 10900k.

What sucks is that I usually go with ASUS for everything, but for this latest build I took a chance and went ASRock - plus they had features none of the other boards had. And I guess that was a bad decision. But nothing I can do now, unless I wanna try and sell my motherboard or something. Past the return window for sure.

I guess I'll keep my CPU for now, and just keep C-States disabled. ASRock said they tested my same motherboard and CPU over the weekend and it ran fine for them with system load tests. Wish I had a way for them to trigger it.

3 minutes ago, iransofaraway said:

What sucks is that I usually go with ASUS for everything, but for this latest build I took a chance and went ASRock - plus they had features none of the other boards had. And I guess that was a bad decision. But nothing I can do now, unless I wanna try and sell my motherboard or something. Past the return window for sure.

I guess I'll keep my CPU for now, and just keep C-States disabled. ASRock said they tested my same motherboard and CPU over the weekend and it ran fine for them with system load tests. Wish I had a way for them to trigger it.

also enable XMP for the ram.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Just Sold

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

@SavageNeo I've been mainly running with XMP off to eliminate variables - but you're saying XMP with c-states disabled should be fine?

5 minutes ago, iransofaraway said:

@SavageNeo I've been mainly running with XMP off to eliminate variables - but you're saying XMP with c-states disabled should be fine?

could be. only one way to find out

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Just Sold

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, iransofaraway said:

I guess I'll keep my CPU for now, and just keep C-States disabled

This is what i would do, i mean i do it anyways but the C-States doesnt really safe you that much power consumption. 

Ive heard der8auer say on coffeelake it was a difference of about 4watts total.

Reason for this is that c-states are supposed to only safe power in CPU idle state. Consumption is only high with load anyways.

On 9/3/2021 at 5:52 AM, PRDSATX said:

It's been 2 days now since I took the second kit out. So far, 0 crashes. 

I ended up installing the second kit in my old computer that I gave to my brother. 0 issues. 

So the ram is good. The chipset does not like 2 kits installed, which is weird. 

On 9/3/2021 at 12:08 PM, iransofaraway said:

If ASROCK tested it with the same CPU and Motherboard without any issues - but your motherboard and CPU aren't able to operate without freezing - that means your motherboard and CPU have some sort of defect or issue. 

10 minutes ago, Clausewitz said:

If ASROCK tested it with the same CPU and Motherboard without any issues - but your motherboard and CPU aren't able to operate without freezing - that means your motherboard and CPU have some sort of defect or issue. 

I don’t have a way to reproduce the freeze consistently. And it doesn’t happen when the system is loaded (the crashes have happened all when I was doing something mundane like Chrome or programming). They threw the same CPU and motherboard together and ran AIDA64 CPU stability test (stress FPU option) over a weekend. Said it had no issues. Which I can probably do the same test and not have it crash. 

Disabling c-states, running memory in XMP for days now and have not had a single crash. Really believe the problem lies there somehow.  But I have no way of knowing if it’s a bug with microcode on CPU, a problem with the chipset, or a defective motherboard or CPU. Hard to say, given others are having these same issues?