Help, 980ti or 1070 (given current pricing of new cards)

Flavlus

Hey guys!

I have 2 systems at home and wanting to mix and match to make 1 system and sell the other.
4770k + 980ti 

R5 1400 + 1070 (this was a friend's system)

Should I swap the 1070 into my system and sell the 980ti or sell the 1070? 
I will eventually upgrade to a new card but not at current pricing. 

I know back when the 1070 came out it was basically the same as a 980ti but now with new drivers and optimization maybe it will edge out the 980ti?

PS: 980ti and 1070 go for the same pricing in my country/area

Thanks in advance 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Flavlus said:

Hey guys!

I have 2 systems at home and wanting to mix and match to make 1 system and sell the other.
4470k + 980ti 

I know back when the 1070 came out it was basically the same as a 980ti but now with new drivers and optimization maybe it will edge out the 980ti?

Thanks in advance 🙂 

1070 easily. Less Power Consumption, same performance, more vram, longer driver support

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

14 minutes ago, Flavlus said:

Hey guys!

4470k + 980ti 

Thanks in advance 🙂 

1070 is a more powerful card than a 980ti for a lot of things.  There are a few things that a 980ti is better at though. They’re generally science stuff.  One weird one is the 980ti is the most powerful card ever made to have full analog support. Can matter. I have been on the lookout for a good 980ti for some time.  If you don’t have a weird old dviDx2 monitor though it probably doesn’t matter. 1070>980ti a good 90+% of the time.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1070 easily for the reasons Downkey said.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1070 is worth more because it's actually still profitable to mine on it, which you could take advantage of

Not too sure about the 980ti but probably not as profitable

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I'm not sure i'd mix and match at all, the R5-1400 and 1070 system is better all round, just use that.

The Ryzen is about as performant as the 4570k, has hyperthreading, and is on a much more modern platform with lots of scope for easy upgrades. The Intel system on the other hand is a dead end.

11 hours ago, Aragorn- said:

I'm not sure i'd mix and match at all, the R5-1400 and 1070 system is better all round, just use that.

The Ryzen is about as performant as the 4570k, has hyperthreading, and is on a much more modern platform with lots of scope for easy upgrades. The Intel system on the other hand is a dead end.

sorry what I meant was i7 4770k OC at 4.2ghz

14 minutes ago, Flavlus said:

sorry what I meant was i7 4770k OC at 4.2ghz

I’ve go a system a bit slower than that.  My oc is only 4.0.   It’s ddr3 and it will never be faster than it is which is to say not fast enough for the newest games.  I think the consensus is your friends system is flat out better than yours. Not so much in speed but in expandability. Am4 just kinda crushes lga1150

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve go a system a bit slower than that.  My oc is only 4.0.   It’s ddr3 and it will never be faster than it is which is to say not fast enough for the newest games.  I think the consensus is your friends system is flat out better than yours. Not so much in speed but in expandability. Am4 just kinda crushes lga1150

I get what you are saying. 
3770k is much better than a r5 1400 (common knowledge) 
BUT : a B350M has more potential than a Z97 where i have already basically maxed out the platform.? 
OK sure but i dont think i would want to go gen 1 or 2 ryzen anyways as it not really an upgrade. Ryzen got good gen 3 onwards

My specific board is an Asus Prime B350M-A

PS I may want to add that I will be looking at a new build in a year or so once prices come down on the new GPUs

2 hours ago, Flavlus said:

I get what you are saying. 
3770k is much better than a r5 1400 (common knowledge) 
BUT : a B350M has more potential than a Z97 where i have already basically maxed out the platform.? 
OK sure but i dont think i would want to go gen 1 or 2 ryzen anyways as it not really an upgrade. Ryzen got good gen 3 onwards

My specific board is an Asus Prime B350M-A

PS I may want to add that I will be looking at a new build in a year or so once prices come down on the new GPUs

Noooo the other way around.  3770k older than 4770k btw.  4770k is intel the 1400 is AMD.  4770k is lga1150 but the 1400 is am4. 4xxx series had garbage TIM, but better IPC.  Even if a 3770k is faster than a 1400 (which I doubt strongly because even a 1400 has better ipc by multiple generations) it’s still worse because you can pull the 1400 out of that machine and slap in a 3600, while the lga1150 machine will never be more than 14 year old tech.  The fastest chip lga1150 will take is a 4790k which is faster and quite often hit 5ghz, but still not really fast enough for newest games. IPC is important.  Think of it as a multiplier.  Thread count also matters.  Everything being talked about is 4/8 so it will play stuff designed for 6/6, so anything a PS4 or xboxONE will play, but that’s the end of it.  That 3600 is 6/12, and is a power sipper so even a cheapass Aseries board can usually handle them.  It might take a 3700x though if the board is good and that is 8/16. 4/8 with not so great IPC is the most lga1150 will ever do

Edited by Bombastinator

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Noooo the other way around.  3770k older than 4770k btw.  4770k is intel the 1400 is AMD.  4770k is lga1150 but the 1400 is am4. 4xxx series had garbage TIM, but better IPC.  Even if a 3770k is faster than a 1400 (which I doubt strongly because even a 1400 has better ipc by multiple generations) it’s still worse because you can pull the 1400 out of that machine and slap in a 3600, while the lga1150 machine will never be more than 14 year old tech.  The fastest chip lga1150 will take is a 4790k which is faster and quite often hit 5ghz, but still not really fast enough for newest games. IPC is important.  Think of it as a multiplier.  Thread count also matters.  Everything being talked about is 4/8 so it will play stuff designed for 6/6, so anything a PS4 or xboxONE will play, but that’s the end of it.  That 3600 is 6/12, and is a power sipper so even a cheapass Aseries board can usually handle them.  It might take a 3700x though if the board is good and that is 8/16. 4/8 with not so great IPC is the most lga1150 will ever do

Yeah i get you except a 3600 cpu in

my market is only $10 cheaper than it was a couple years ago when it was realeased brand new. so im not keen to invest into any new CPUs atm 

1 minute ago, Flavlus said:

Yeah i get you except a 3600 cpu in

my market is only $10 cheaper than it was a couple years ago when it was realeased brand new. so im not keen to invest into any new CPUs atm 

Not saying you are.  I’m just saying the 1400 machine can outlive the 4770k machine because one can be effectively upgraded whereas the other can’t.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Not saying you are.  I’m just saying the 1400 machine can outlive the 4770k machine because one can be effectively upgraded whereas the other can’t.

Has Microsoft reversed course on the Ryzen 1000 series? Or will they both be EOL ewaste when Win 10 gets punted?

That said, though, a used 2000 or 3000 CPU will probably work in the board, and extend the useful lifetime of the system... Assuming it's a 400 series chipset.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

2 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Has Microsoft reversed course on the Ryzen 1000 series? Or will they both be EOL ewaste when Win 10 gets punted?

That said, though, a used 2000 or 3000 CPU will probably work in the board, and extend the useful lifetime of the system... Assuming it's a 400 series chipset.

Not that I know of.  If a motherboard can’t take the right security chip it’s basically over and the thing will live out it’s dotage as a Linux box.  (I want to say TMP 2 but I’m not sure of the acronym.)  They’re apparently sticking with the v2 though. The whole win11 thing is making me want to buy a Mac though.  Don’t know if I will.  Got to see what m1x/m2 machines have for price and graphics capacity.

3 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Asus Prime B350M-A
So a pretty low end board

1 minute ago, Flavlus said:

Asus Prime B350M-A
So a pretty low end board

At least it’s a Bseries not an A series. Motherboard tierlist is listing it as tier F though so 3600 is the most it will do.  Most 3xx boards don’t have a bios for 5xxx series cpus. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

If a motherboard can’t take the right security chip it’s basically over and the thing will live out it’s dotage as a Linux box.

Sorta. I thought there were some older boards with TPM 2.0 that aren't supported, so... I don't know.

Personally, I would say to sell both systems and get something B550/Ryzen 5000, maybe even a newer APU. But, the market really sucks right now, so maybe don't do that.

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

Sorta. I thought there were some older boards with TPM 2.0 that aren't supported, so... I don't know.

Personally, I would say to sell both systems and get something B550/Ryzen 5000, maybe even a newer APU. But, the market really sucks right now, so maybe don't do that.

Possible I guess that the b350 has the stuff for win11.  The 4770k one won’t. Not even close.  My machine is about to be rendered redundant too and I’m not even bitter about it.  I’ll probably set the thing up with Linux and then relegate it to backup.  Got to get something front line first though.

Possible I guess that the b350 has the stuff for win11.  The 4770k one won’t. Not even close.  My machine is about to be rendered redundant too and I’m not even bitter about it.  I’ll probably set the thing up with Linux and then relegate it to backup.  Got to get something front line first though.

Yeah, I have a Haswell server box with a Xeon in it. I was actually pretty burned by the Win 11 BS, since I had planned on using the machine for the next 7-10 years. Now, I'm going to have to replace it.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

TBH I really don't care about win 11 for the time being. Maybe in 3 years but Microsoft said windows 11 is not mandatory upgrade like from 7/8 to 10 was.

7 minutes ago, Sarra said:

No point selling systems as there is nothing to buy in the current market that makes sense

Just now, Flavlus said:

TBH I really don't care about win 11 for the time being. Maybe in 3 years but Microsoft said windows 11 is not mandatory upgrade like from 7/8 to 10 was.

Microsoft WILL make it 'mandatory', and probably sooner than most people will be comfortable with. >_>

Just now, Flavlus said:

No point selling systems as there is nothing to buy in the current market that makes sense

Sorta yes, sorta no. I built my current rendering/gaming machine fairly recently, but... I got my CPU on sale before shortages/scalping. The GPU took me forever to get, and I still paid out the butt for it. 😧

9 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Yeah, I have a Haswell server box with a Xeon in it. I was actually pretty burned by the Win 11 BS, since I had planned on using the machine for the next 7-10 years. Now, I'm going to have to replace it.

Ouch.  I got 10 out of mine so I figure I’m well served.  There’s always Linux though.  Windows isn’t a great server platform anyway.

Ouch.  I got 10 out of mine so I figure I’m well served.  There’s always Linux though.  Windows isn’t a great server platform anyway.

Well, yeah. Mine is a print server, file server, youtube/netflix box, music player, and a super long transcode box (anything that takes more than 30 minutes on my 3900XT gets moved over the the Xeon, because the Xeon runs 60°c full load, and the 3900XT will start throttling on transcodes more than 30 minutes).

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

Well, yeah. Mine is a print server, file server, youtube/netflix box, music player, and a super long transcode box (anything that takes more than 30 minutes on my 3900XT gets moved over the the Xeon, because the Xeon runs 60°c full load, and the 3900XT will start throttling on transcodes more than 30 minutes).

That’s odd.  Heat problem?