Help, 980ti or 1070 (given current pricing of new cards)

Flavlus
Just now, Bombastinator said:

That’s odd.  Heat problem?

I think it's an airflow problem. I've got a Noctua D15S on it... Well, I have a D15S on both CPU's. Hah. In every work load I do, it gets up to 80°C over time, but transcoding hits it harder and I think it really pounds AVX or something. All I know is that I can't get it hotter than running a Transcode. XD

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

I think it's an airflow problem. I've got a Noctua D15S on it... Well, I have a D15S on both CPU's. Hah. In every work load I do, it gets up to 80°C over time, but transcoding hits it harder and I think it really pounds AVX or something. All I know is that I can't get it hotter than running a Transcode. XD

Wow.  That’s a lot of heat.  Maybe time to up the cooling game on the ryzen2

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Wow.  That’s a lot of heat.  Maybe time to up the cooling game on the ryzen2

I'm going to upgrade to a 5950X and watercooling. Probably the thickest 240 Rad and some pressure optimized Noctua fans.

2 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I'm going to upgrade to a 5950X and watercooling. Probably the thickest 240 Rad and some pressure optimized Noctua fans.

AIO or custom water?  I’m not a huge fan of 240 AIO over big air (the 12s is not big air, it’s medium+ air) there can be space issues though that make an AIO preferable.  Custom loop is its own thing though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

AIO or custom water?  I’m not a huge fan of 240 AIO over big air (the 12s is not big air, it’s medium+ air) there can be space issues though that make an AIO preferable.  Custom loop is its own thing though.

Custom loop. Probably EK stuff. I was going to go watercooling on my GPU, but my 6800XT runs cool enough that I'm not really worried about it. That, and EK has no info on it's website about compatibility. Can't figure out if my card is a reference board, and I don't want to disassemble it while it's running fine anyway.

I mean you have both machines there, so do some testing. A Stock 1500x is about parity with a stock 4770. 1400 and 1500x are very close and once you overclock they're the same.

That 1400 should overclock quite nicely, and once wound up, you'll have something thats on par with your overclocked 4770, but also has a upgrade path.

7 hours ago, Aragorn- said:

I mean you have both machines there, so do some testing. A Stock 1500x is about parity with a stock 4770. 1400 and 1500x are very close and once you overclock they're the same.

That 1400 should overclock quite nicely, and once wound up, you'll have something thats on par with your overclocked 4770, but also has a upgrade path.

1400 is very far off a 4770k ..like very far. 

Yesterday I ran some benchmarks from my 980ti vs 1070 and my 980ti wiped the floor with the 1070. 
I was using heaving and getting 81fps on the 980ti and 64fps on the 1070 at 1440p

1 hour ago, Flavlus said:

1400 is very far off a 4770k ..like very far. 

Yesterday I ran some benchmarks from my 980ti vs 1070 and my 980ti wiped the floor with the 1070. 
I was using heaving and getting 81fps on the 980ti and 64fps on the 1070 at 1440p

Depends.  One of the weaknesses of the 980ti is it has only 6gb of memory. If you run the right thing that doesn’t use 6gb of memory sure.  Try running something that does though.  It gets very bad very fast.  This is the deal with older high end hardware.  As it get older, it doesn’t get slower at what it could do.  The problem is people are doing different things it can’t do. Shorter legs. I’ve got a 4770k.  Can I run no man’s sky? Sure.  But it hitches.  If it was a PvP game it would be bad enough to be deadly.  1400 is going to be slower at some stuff.  It was a near bottom end chip when it came out years ago.  A lot fewer years than the 4770k though.  It’s got better IPC by a lot for one thing.  Run pure ghz benchmarks? Sure. You can run the majority of 4770ks at 4.5ghz. Ipc isn’t great so for a lot of things it’s closer to the equivelant of 3.5ghz with more modern hardware. It is said that a 3300x is about the same speed as a 7700.  Is a 4770k as fast as a 7700in some things? Sure.  Intel basically stopped innovating from the 3770k to the 7700k. They’re all not too terribly far apart.  From 8 series on though it got a wiggle on. A limping wiggle, but a wiggle. A 3600x is a lot like an 8700.  The difference has become marked, and that machine can have a 3600 put in it whereas the intel one can’t even have a 5th generation cpu put into it.  One runs ddr3 whereas the other runs ddr4 if that helps any.   You want to compare ghz.  It’s one way to do it.  It’s not complete though am4 just pounds all over z97