Ryzen 5900x

So long story short,  i just put together a water cool loop and i booted my system accidentally forgot to plug the reservoir into the cpu fan header on my motherboard but it was plugged into another header on my mother so its not like it wasn't on at all, so should i worry about my CPU i should be fine  ?

7 minutes ago, Nicholas Rodriguez said:

So long story short,  i just put together a water cool loop and i booted my system accidentally forgot to plug the reservoir into the cpu fan header on my motherboard but it was plugged into another header on my mother so its not like it wasn't on at all, so should i worry about my CPU i should be fine  ?

it will be 100% fine as long as fluid was moving. If water was not circulating, it would shut down within a minute or 2 from over temp protections. You don't have to use the CPU fan header if you don't want to or if routing cables makes sense in a different direction. All you would have to do is disable the monitoring on that header in the BIOS. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I'd be shocked if anything went wrong. As long as water didn't leak onto the chip, it'll be fine. Thermal limits would have stepped in before anything broke, and since the pump was being powered, thermal limits wouldn't have had a reason to step in. As long as fluid is moving, you're fine. 

8 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

RIP 500$ CPU 😮

Youll be fine as long as you had the cooling plate on. Should be able to handle most light work with just it 😛 

Lol i was praying it didn't fried but thank you. At least i feel better now that i didn't almost kill my CPU.

7 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

it will be 100% fine as long as fluid was moving. If water was not circulating, it would shut down within a minute or 2 from over temp protections. You don't have to use the CPU fan header if you don't want to or if routing cables makes sense in a different direction. All you would have to do is disable the monitoring on that header in the BIOS. 

Ahhhhhh see.... you learn something new each day. Thank you very much for that information.

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'd be shocked if anything went wrong. As long as water didn't leak onto the chip, it'll be fine. Thermal limits would have stepped in before anything broke, and since the pump was being powered, thermal limits wouldn't have had a reason to step in. As long as fluid is moving, you're fine. 

Thank you so much i really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this issue.

Water soaks up a lot of heat, so even without the pump connected there's no risk for starting the computer for a minute as long as there's no leaks. You just don't want to put a load on it without flow.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

They reboot sometime shortly after 100c 🤭

👍🏻

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

You pretty much have to try to harm a modern CPU. They have a number of different types of protections built in. If temps get too high it will throttle, and if that's still not enough, it'll just shut itself off, long before any actual damage has occurred. You'd have pretty much disable such protections via the BIOS, assuming the BIOS even lets you, in order to actually cause damage.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

If you are running an all core oc it wont throttle, but it will hit OTP if you don't catch it in time.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's