Will these dust filters affect my PSU?

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

All filters reduce airflow but the filter you linked would be fine. The fan ramps up as needed and the psu is fairly efficient which doesn't require as much cooling. 

I am in need of a dust filter for my corsair rm850x (lost it) and was wondering if you guys could recommend me one that would fit and be good for a power supply? And one that won't choke my fans. I am basically just super worried I will buy one and it will increase my psu temp too high, heres one I was looking at via https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ARB5E8A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1 Which type of filter is best to use do you think... nylon or plastic? silvertek tells me nylon... but I don't know.

I have looked online for a couple weeks at Amazon's products and reviews and people just seems to disagree with each other on every single filter I find... they often mention "CHOKES FANS" or "HOLES TOO BIG" i can't seem to find an in between and I don't know if demciflex is affordable for me. I thought of using panty hose and dryer sheets but I want a permenant solution. Asked corsair for a replacement and they told me it's a legacy case and they do not carry any more parts for this case either. so I thought I'd come and ask here.

My case is the Masterbox 5 - black with meshflow front pannel, and here https://imgur.com/a/iwS6aiK is a photo of where the filter needs to fit. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as I am not playing any games until I replace a dust filter.

thankyou! 🙂

33 minutes ago, Dankcube said:

I am in need of a dust filter for my corsair rm850x (lost it) and was wondering if you guys could recommend me one that would fit and be good for a power supply? And one that won't choke my fans. I am basically just super worried I will buy one and it will increase my psu temp too high, heres one I was looking at via https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ARB5E8A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1 Which type of filter is best to use do you think... nylon or plastic? silvertek tells me nylon... but I don't know.

I have looked online for a couple weeks at Amazon's products and reviews and people just seems to disagree with each other on every single filter I find... they often mention "CHOKES FANS" or "HOLES TOO BIG" i can't seem to find an in between and I don't know if demciflex is affordable for me. I thought of using panty hose and dryer sheets but I want a permenant solution. Asked corsair for a replacement and they told me it's a legacy case and they do not carry any more parts for this case either. so I thought I'd come and ask here.

My case is the Masterbox 5 - black with meshflow front pannel, and here https://imgur.com/a/iwS6aiK is a photo of where the filter needs to fit. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as I am not playing any games until I replace a dust filter.

thankyou! 🙂

Dust filters require more power.  That’s physics.  One way around it is a bigger filter because a bigger filter will have more holes which is why a lot of filters are crenolated.  Bigger filter in a smaller space.  Crenolated filters are thick though, so they’re not going to fit in a thin slot.  

51C6A89C-1A06-452F-A3F8-929BCD6891B6.jpeg

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

45 minutes ago, Dankcube said:

thankyou! 🙂

Why do you need a fan filter for the PSU? What are you system specs, its likely the fan on a rm850x is not even spinning very often anyways. And I assume you mean you lost the filter that came with the case? PSU's themselves don't come with filters.

The filter on my case for my PSU is rarely dusty at all due to the fan not spinning very often anyways, I have the same PSU.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Just now, LIGISTX said:

Why do you need a fan filter for the PSU? What are you system specs, its likely the fan on a rm850x is not even spinning very often anyways. And I assume you mean you lost the filter that came with the case? PSU's themselves don't come with filters.

The filter on my case for my PSU is rarely dusty at all due to the fan not spinning very often anyways, I have the same PSU.

I have carpet, animals and people upstairs smoke. I need a dust filter, and yeah I mean I lost the filter for the case (cooolermaster) my bad. specs are i9 9900k, msi 2080ti trio, 32gb corsair vengence rgb, and 240mm h100i pro rgb.

I have tested multiple games and the fan spins up a majority of time when under heavy load. either way I NEED a dust filter, can you recommend one to me or did you have a look at the one I have posted in my original post. does that one look any good?

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

At the end of the day nylon is a type of plastic.

Filters will choke fans only if they're covered by a thick layer of dust, but that won't kill the fan. Power supplies have OTP and shutdown if say the fan fails and the PSU is working at 100% for a given period of time (5 minutes, 10, etc) and the internals overheat.

Ah lost standard filter.  That would be an “order an new one from the company” thing though there can also be an option involving a metal coat hanger, a pair of pliers, and one  foot off a pair of lady’s nylons.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Caroline said:

At the end of the day nylon is a type of plastic.

Filters will choke fans only if they're covered by a thick layer of dust, but that won't kill the fan. Power supplies have OTP and shutdown if say the fan fails and the PSU is working at 100% for a given period of time (5 minutes, 10, etc) and the internals overheat.

i am basically trying to avoid this from happening at all, do you think buying this one in particular will cause any issues? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ARB5E8A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

thanks for the help everyone.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah lost standard filter.  That would be an “order an new one from the company” thing though there can also be an option involving a metal coat hanger, a pair of pliers, and one  foot off a pair of lady’s nylons.

I have asked COOLERMASTER for a replacement dust filter and they told me it's a legacy case and they do not carry any more spare parts for this case either. I am also interested in a permenant solution, rather than usings ladys socks

3 minutes ago, Dankcube said:

i am basically trying to avoid this from happening at all, do you think buying this one in particular will cause any issues? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ARB5E8A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

thanks for the help everyone.

“Ultra fine” means smaller holes means more impingement which may or may not cause a problem.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

“Ultra fine” means smaller holes means more impingement which may or may not cause a problem.

ive been researching this stuff for 3 weeks now. havent played any games. somebody please just link me a filter that i should use. I have clicked on a hundred filters probably now, everytime i make a choice somebody tells me no

3 minutes ago, Dankcube said:

I have asked COOLERMASTER for a replacement dust filter and they told me it's a legacy case and they do not carry any more spare parts for this case either. I am also interested in a permenant solution, rather than usings ladys socks

Got to find some other woven material then.  Nylons are the right size hole and are cheap is all.

Got to find some other woven material then.  Nylons are the right size hole and are cheap is all.

thats why I came here, I am looking for somebody to recommend a SPECIFIC

reputable brand of dust filters for 140mm psu please....

2 minutes ago, Dankcube said:

ive been researching this stuff for 3 weeks now. havent played any games. somebody please just link me a filter that i should use. I have clicked on a hundred filters probably now, everytime i make a choice somebody tells me no

The problem you have is you’re bumping into the laws of physics. Finer filters impinge more.  Too much impingement and a fan won’t draw.

All filters reduce airflow but the filter you linked would be fine. The fan ramps up as needed and the psu is fairly efficient which doesn't require as much cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The problem you have is you’re bumping into the laws of physics. 

took me a minute to realize im being trolled lol

Just now, Dankcube said:

took me a minute to realize im being trolled lol

I don’t troll.  Ever.

Just now, Caroline said:

I wouldn't pay $18 for that tbh, "magnetic cooling", really? but that's just me.

Made mine using mosquito net and it catches most of the dust.

i dont mind paying for it branding aside if it works as intended.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

I wouldn't pay $18 for that tbh, "magnetic cooling", really? but that's just me.

Cooling is just a keyword. The magnet around the filter allows it to attach to steel cases. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

thank-you. I will order it tonight, comes tuesday.

1 hour ago, Dankcube said:

I have carpet, animals and people upstairs smoke. I need a dust filter, and yeah I mean I lost the filter for the case (cooolermaster) my bad. specs are i9 9900k, msi 2080ti trio, 32gb corsair vengence rgb, and 240mm h100i pro rgb.

I have tested multiple games and the fan spins up a majority of time when under heavy load. either way I NEED a dust filter, can you recommend one to me or did you have a look at the one I have posted in my original post. does that one look any good?

I use the one you listed on my rear fan which I use as intake, its been fine for me. Silverstone is quality. The PSU will be fine, it really doesn't get all that hot under the load you will be putting it under.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

9 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I use the one you listed on my rear fan which I use as intake, its been fine for me. Silverstone is quality. The PSU will be fine, it really doesn't get all that hot under the load you will be putting it under.

thank you for the reassurance homie!!