6800 XT or 3080

shinegull
Go to solution Solved by Middcore,

6800XT and 3080 are very closely matched in raw performance. 3070 is a step behind and matches up against the non-XT 6800 on the AMD side. Nvidia cards (either of them) will pull ahead in ray tracing, and DLSS has come into its own somewhat although still implemented in relatively few games whereas FSR is kind of a question mark still.

Get the 3080 if you care a lot about ray tracing, or if you want to stream and can make use of NVENC and RTX voice. Otherwise get whichever card you can find at a better price. 

It's been a while since the gpu shortage. and it seems like its getting to the point where I am actually able to get a gpu (limited selection as it may be) at any given moment.

But I'm a little undecided on whether I should get a 3080 or 3070 or 6800xt.

The monitor I am using is a G9. I am comfortable it runs at 60 to 120 hz. I play mostly AC Valhalla currently, but also play other AAA games. I dont expect to run at max settings, but I would like it to run at a minimum of med at least. Ideally though, I would like to run at high to ultra.

I'll also be watercooling it if it makes a difference. Which gpu would you recommend?

6800XT and 3080 are very closely matched in raw performance. 3070 is a step behind and matches up against the non-XT 6800 on the AMD side. Nvidia cards (either of them) will pull ahead in ray tracing, and DLSS has come into its own somewhat although still implemented in relatively few games whereas FSR is kind of a question mark still.

Get the 3080 if you care a lot about ray tracing, or if you want to stream and can make use of NVENC and RTX voice. Otherwise get whichever card you can find at a better price. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

If you play any game that you want to enable ray tracing, get a 3080. If you don't and you don't have any plans to use compute on the card, get a 6800 XT, since in most titles (especially water cooled and overclocked) it outperforms the 3080. 

Personally for me, I went 3080 over the 6800 XT (I had managed to score both, one went to a friend) for the better feature set and overall reliability of Nvidia drivers (in my experience at least). Both cards are absolute beasts, but in pure rasterization, the 6800 XT is probably the way to go (especially for Valhalla)

8 minutes ago, Middcore said:

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you play any game that you want to enable ray tracing, get a 3080. If you don't and you don't have any plans to use compute on the card, get a 6800 XT, since in most titles (especially water cooled and overclocked) it outperforms the 3080. 

Personally for me, I went 3080 over the 6800 XT (I had managed to score both, one went to a friend) for the better feature set and overall reliability of Nvidia drivers (in my experience at least). Both cards are absolute beasts, but in pure rasterization, the 6800 XT is probably the way to go (especially for Valhalla)

I dont do a lot of overclocking. and I've never really used raytracing (to my knowledge). Currently I'm using a 2060 on a laptop, a G14 to be exact. What exactly would i use compute and rasterization for?

3 minutes ago, shinegull said:

I dont do a lot of overclocking. and I've never really used raytracing (to my knowledge). Currently I'm using a 2060 on a laptop, a G14 to be exact. What exactly would i use compute and rasterization for?

Rasterization is how basically every game nowadays is being rendered. Compute is for things like rendering, streaming, encoding, etc. Not many games use raytracing yet and in the ones that do, it's off by default, so if you don't remember turning it on, you haven't used it. If you don't have any need for any of the NVidia features (NVENC, RTX voice, DLSS, etc.) and you don't mind a little less stable drivers, get the 6800XT. They're easier to find anyway, so you should be able to get a card a lot sooner than a 3080.

10 minutes ago, shinegull said:

If you see the word "rasterization" just treat it as meaning "game graphics without real-time ray tracing." 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

10 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Rasterization is how basically every game nowadays is being rendered. Compute is for things like rendering, streaming, encoding, etc. Not many games use raytracing yet and in the ones that do, it's off by default, so if you don't remember turning it on, you haven't used it. If you don't have any need for any of the NVidia features (NVENC, RTX voice, DLSS, etc.) and you don't mind a little less stable drivers, get the 6800XT. They're easier to find anyway, so you should be able to get a card a lot sooner than a 3080.

6 minutes ago, Middcore said:

If you see the word "rasterization" just treat it as meaning "game graphics without real-time ray tracing." 

At this point and for the foreseeable future, all i want the gpu to be able to do is game. That's literally all I need it to do. I guess stability sounds like it would be a concern, but really all I need it to do is gaming and it able to run whatever game i plan on playing for the next 2 to 5 couple years with decent to good fps and graphics.

I guess I'll go for whichever is avaiable then, likely 6800 XT then. Just hoping, I'll be able to get one at less than 1300 rather than the 1500 I'm seeing.

On that note, why does it seem like the 6800 XT is at least 100 more expensive than the 3080?

FWIW in spite of all the "lol AMD drivers" memes I have had 0 issues using the 6800/XT since the beginning of the year. 

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

FWIW in spite of all the "lol AMD drivers" memes I have had 0 issues using the 6800/XT since the beginning of the year. 

Thats good to know. At least the odds of me having problems with it should be pretty low then

6 minutes ago, shinegull said:

Thats good to know. At least the odds of me having problems with it should be pretty low then

I see way more posts on this forum from people having trouble with their 30-series Nvidia cards. Of course, that could be in large part because more people have been able to buy them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

38 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I see way more posts on this forum from people having trouble with their 30-series Nvidia cards. Of course, that could be in large part because more people have been able to buy them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I actually ended getting a 3080 since it was about 250 less compared to the 6800xt. had to get a 5950x with it, but since i was originally planning on getting a 5900x anyway, not much of a difference?

7 minutes ago, shinegull said:

I actually ended getting a 3080 since it was about 250 less compared to the 6800xt. had to get a 5950x with it, but since i was originally planning on getting a 5900x anyway, not much of a difference?

Like I said, I'd pick whichever one was the better deal right now. 

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Like I said, I'd pick whichever one was the better deal right now. 

do you have a recommendation for motherboard as well by any chance? im trying to look for an itx where i can bifurcate the pcie slot if possible. matx also works.

8 minutes ago, shinegull said:

do you have a recommendation for motherboard as well by any chance? im trying to look for an itx where i can bifurcate the pcie slot if possible. matx also works.

Can't help you there I'm afraid. You should start another thread in the CPU's, boards, and memory subforum. 

Just now, Middcore said:

Can't help you there I'm afraid. You should start another thread in the CPU's, boards, and memory subforum. 

k. many thanks for help

If you care about ray tracing get a 3080. If not get a 6800XT. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

• 5 months later...

Used to have an EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra but now have a ASUS TUF Radeon 6800 XT and if prices were the same, heck even normalized I would say the RTX 3080.  If upscaling and ray tracing matters to you than the RTX 3080 is a no brainer.  Also Nvidia's encoder and software suite are nice bonuses.  Really the Radeon 6800 XT is a really nice plan B card.  Yes it's a slightly better 1440P card but worse at 4k.  Unless you can make use of the 16GB of memory, or can find a Radeon 6800 XT for substantially cheaper than a RTX 3080, the RTX 3080 is a clear 1A option.  With this said I don't dislike my Radeon 6800 XT but it's like getting Burger King when you wanted McDonalds.

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 2:28 PM, Jrasero said:

Used to have an EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra but now have a ASUS TUF Radeon 6800 XT and if prices were the same, heck even normalized I would say the RTX 3080.  If upscaling and ray tracing matters to you than the RTX 3080 is a no brainer.  Also Nvidia's encoder and software suite are nice bonuses.  Really the Radeon 6800 XT is a really nice plan B card.  Yes it's a slightly better 1440P card but worse at 4k.  Unless you can make use of the 16GB of memory, or can find a Radeon 6800 XT for substantially cheaper than a RTX 3080, the RTX 3080 is a clear 1A option.  With this said I don't dislike my Radeon 6800 XT but it's like getting Burger King when you wanted McDonalds.

i actually picked up a 3080 last year since it was available for close to msrp but thanks