Response time question (MPRT vs GTG)

Ivel

So I recently bought a new monitor and in the product description it says it has a MPRT of 1ms and GTG of 12ms... Is this good for gaming? Should I be worried about GTG 12ms? 

11 minutes ago, TheBean said:

which monitor is it? can you give us the model number?

It's not a monitor you would know of... I was just wondering if someone could tell me what the difference is between MPRT and GTG is and if I should be worrying about how high the GTG is. All good if you don't have any answers xD

2 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Thanks for that! It's kinda weird though because even though my MPRT is 1ms I'm still getting a bit of ghosting... I've tried turning up the overdriver to high and it helped a little bit. I've run the UFO test and there's still a trail behind them.

2 hours ago, Ivel said:

Thanks for that! It's kinda weird though because even though my MPRT is 1ms I'm still getting a bit of ghosting... I've tried turning up the overdriver to high and it helped a little bit. I've run the UFO test and there's still a trail behind them.

it's probably becuase the overdrive is not perfect. manufacturers have to tune the overdrive for each model of a panel so cheaper monitors generally dont have good overdrive (too little or too much, causing inverse ghosting). 

GtG = Gray to Gray

It's basically how long the monitor needs to switch a pixel from starting at grey to a color and then back to grey.

MPRT = Moving Picture Response Time

This value describes the "persistence" blur, but this is more dependant on the refresh rate. But completely describing what the two measurements are about is baically pointless because of the following reason:

MPRT and GtG response times of ANY monitor brand should be taken with a mountain of salt. They're basically straight up lies. For example the best IPS monitors currently on the market can do 4-5ms if they're tuned really well. But somehow 99% of all gaming monitors on the market call out 1ms response times. If you want to have an accurate number of response times, look them up in reviews. Hardware Unboxed does extremely detailed response time testing in their reviews. RTINGS.com is another good source. However, even these numbers should only be compared with other reviews of the same reviewer, as everyone measures them in slightly different ways. But in the end they all come out much higher than the marketed numbers.

And because nowadays every last crappy monitor is marketed as 1ms, now some even start to call out 0.5ms response times. These numbers are just a bunch of crap.

Especially with monitors the biggest mistake that you can do is to shop on specs alone. Many of them are not true, exaggerated or selected good values without including the bad ones. The reason they can do that is because most users don't have the equipment or experience to be able to tell if the marketed spec is not met.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.