Stop people from randomly sharing files via Google drive

cacoe
Go to solution Solved by The_russian,

There was an Ars Technica article on this recently:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/google-is-finally-doing-something-about-google-drive-spam/

Basically you can block someone once they already shared a file with you, but there’s nothing else you can do. Quote from the article:

Drive sharing works just like email spam. Anyone can share a drive file with you if they know your address. Documents that have been shared with you still automatically show up in your Drive collection without your consent. There's no way to turn off sharing, to limit sharing to approved users, or to limit it to existing contacts. It's a free-for-all.

The latest spam vector - share random Google drive files, I'm get random spammy crap on a near daily basis now, is there an option anywhere to only allow contacts to share files on gdrive, or something along those lines?

(Apologies if this is the wrong section I wasn't sure where else to post this one)

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/10613533?p=utu_web&visit_id=637635484358466305-2125032742&rd=1

When I use gdrive, there is a banner at the top that says to block others.

I am not sure how they share things with you without your knowledge, I have no such issues on my side. My shared folder only has stuff I have accessed that people linked online.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

So, like... You sign in to Google drive and random files from random people are shared with you? I've never heard of anything like this.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Guys, that's great for you.... But just Google it, it's a thing. I wasn't doing a survey on whether you're affected, was asking for a solution to stop it 😂 the problem with blocking people is, it's reactive rather than proactive, which as you can imagine doesn't fix much.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

(when subforum name is in your title, you should know it doesn't belong to GD)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

There was an Ars Technica article on this recently:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/google-is-finally-doing-something-about-google-drive-spam/

Basically you can block someone once they already shared a file with you, but there’s nothing else you can do. Quote from the article:

Drive sharing works just like email spam. Anyone can share a drive file with you if they know your address. Documents that have been shared with you still automatically show up in your Drive collection without your consent. There's no way to turn off sharing, to limit sharing to approved users, or to limit it to existing contacts. It's a free-for-all.