potato performance

Go to solution Solved by thrasher_565,
11 hours ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

I was wondering what I can use to get better gaming performance out of potato pc I was wondering about what software I can use to speed up the gaming performance of this pc core 2 quad q8200 gt 1030 8gb ddr2 quad channel ram

to get the best performance out of it will cost more then a new computer....just saying. tight timing ram, good oc mb, good bind cpu, water cooled, and then program mods that cacoe  was saying. not only that different drivers might be better for one game and not another.

I was wondering what I can use to get better gaming performance out of potato pc I was wondering about what software I can use to speed up the gaming performance of this pc core 2 quad q8200 gt 1030 8gb ddr2 quad channel ram

Well, posting the specs would provide some insight as to how potato it actually is.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

-= Moved to New Builds and Planning =-

(Build Planning Help, Appraisals, Tips and Tricks)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Tbh, better not use any. Only way a software can help is by shutting down other non-crucial software so the computer can spend a bit more time on the game. In other words, such software should turn itself off at the end because it's also useless by that point, but I currently dont know of any software that does this.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Tbh, better not use any. Only way a software can help is by shutting down other non-crucial software so the computer can spend a bit more time on the game. In other words, such software should turn itself off at the end because it's also useless by that point, but I currently dont know of any software that does this.

Doesn't mean to say nothing could be done to improve the situation. But if it's potato as op stares, you can't magically get more performance.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted

13 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Well, posting the specs would provide some insight as to how potato it actually is.

core 2 quad 8gb ddr2 ram gt 1030

4 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

Potato confirmed.

I'm not sure what channel it was but there is quite a big youtuber that works on pushing game engines to their limits by tweaking ini files and such on a per game basis to get as many FPS as possible. Maybe someone can link if it comes to mind. But it's that sort of work you're going to have to do on the whole.

Btw, it tends to mean that the game also looks like a potato, but a slightly higher FPS potato...

Just now, cacoe said:

Potato confirmed.

I'm not sure what channel it was but there is quite a big youtuber that works on pushing game engines to their limits by tweaking ini files and such on a per game basis to get as many FPS as possible. Maybe someone can link if it comes to mind. But it's that sort of work you're going to have to do on the whole.

quad channel ram

6 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

quad channel ram

Pretty sure that's not a thing on a core2duo, I'm guessing you're saying you have 4* 2gb sticks

31 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

maybe linux could help?

since its lighter and supports many games maybe you could get some benefits but don't expect to be much I think

16 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Pretty sure that's not a thing on a core2duo, I'm guessing you're saying you have 4* 2gb sticks

yes I mean 4 2gbsticks, it's core 2 quad not duo

3 hours ago, PlayerLoler said:

maybe linux could help?

since its lighter and supports many games maybe you could get some benefits but don't expect to be much I think

Linux might be an improvement for productivity but for now, there's still (afaik) a performance sacrifice with Proton. I'm sure the gap will close as we get closer to the Steam Deck release.

to get the best performance out of it will cost more then a new computer....just saying. tight timing ram, good oc mb, good bind cpu, water cooled, and then program mods that cacoe  was saying. not only that different drivers might be better for one game and not another.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

What is your mobo and what does your cpu cooler look like?

Overclock the gt1030 with msi afterburner

Depends on what board you have for the q8200 but the multi on that is super low so i suggest upgrading to a xeon e/x5450, they are around 10-20$ from what ive seen and have a multi of 9 instead of 7 on the q8200

13 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What is your mobo and what does your cpu cooler look like?

Overclock the gt1030 with msi afterburner

Depends on what board you have for the q8200 but the multi on that is super low so i suggest upgrading to a xeon e/x5450, they are around 10-20$ from what ive seen and have a multi of 9 instead of 7 on the q8200

it's a dell studio 540

8 hours ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

it's a dell studio 540

Looking up on the internet for mobo specs the mobo is g45 which basically means you might be able to do 500mhz fsb and above though id start with bsel modding to 400mhz first, then see how far you can get the fsb, then search for your mobo pll chip, then in setfsb, search for your chip or a similar one, you do want to raise the bottom bar by one every 3 or 5 you raise on the top bar

G45 is basically p45 but it has igpu enabled and p45 can go around 600-700mhz fsb

13 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Looking up on the internet for mobo specs the mobo is g45 which basically means you might be able to do 500mhz fsb and above though id start with bsel modding to 400mhz first, then see how far you can get the fsb, then search for your mobo pll chip, then in setfsb, search for your chip or a similar one, you do want to raise the bottom bar by one every 3 or 5 you raise on the top bar

G45 is basically p45 but it has igpu enabled and p45 can go around 600-700mhz fsb

g45? like the msi lga775 g45 mobo

5 hours ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

g45? like the msi lga775 g45 mobo

Aka p45 but igpu is enabled

They usually dont clock as high as p45 since the boards usually arent as good as the p45 boards and more intended for a htpc

Tbh if your g45 is not clocking high then just find a gigabyte g31, g33 or p31 with 4 ram slots, sounds stupid at first but i can reach 500fsb with my g31m s2c cause for whatever reason these gigabyte boards are on steroids

And if you are worried about vrm cooling just buy some cheap heatsinks and shove them on the vrms