Buyer Beware: Amazon Prime Canada 5800x

Hey All,

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, I just created this account to warn people. TL;DR is I bought a 5800x from Amazon.ca's main warehouse and got a 3800x in the 5800x packaging. 

I was looking to upgrade my 3800xt to a 5800x, and because I was worried about the number of newegg resellers (and third party Amazon sellers for the same reason) went with the Amazon Prime option. I live in a remote part of Canada, so buying PC parts in person isn't an option. I've never had problems buying direct from Amazon, and was going to throw the old processor in my backup computer that I primarily use as plex/gaming server. What I received was a box with the seal broken and a 3800x in it. The box was an authentic 5800x box, and everything else included inside was the paperwork from the 5800x. Even more annoyingly, there's no way to report it to Amazon as it didn't come from a third party seller that I can find. I've asked for a refund and mailed it back, but I'm currently in limbo just waiting for them to deny said refund.

So on top of waiting for availability issues, be careful out there I guess. Turns out Ryzen 5000 series and greed has compromised just about everything. 

1a7a9f37-c2e1-4265-9e8f-e5c85dd9f63e.jpg

Edited by Dargaar

10 minutes ago, Dargaar said:

Hey All,

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, I just created this account to warn people. TL;DR is I bought a 5800x from Amazon.ca's main warehouse and got a 3800x in the 5800x packaging. 

I was looking to upgrade my 3800xt to a 5800x, and because I was worried about the number of newegg resellers (and third party Amazon sellers for the same reason) went with the Amazon Prime option. I live in a remote part of Canada, so buying PC parts in person isn't an option. I've never had problems buying direct from Amazon, and was going to throw the old processor in my backup computer that I primarily use as plex/gaming server. What I received was a box with the seal broken and a 3800x in it. The box was an authentic 5800x box, and everything else included inside was the paperwork from the 5800x. Even more annoyingly, there's no way to report it to Amazon as it didn't come from a third party seller that I can find. I've asked for a refund and mailed it back, but I'm currently in limbo just waiting for them to deny said refund.

So on top of waiting for availability issues, be careful out there I guess. Turns out Ryzen 5000 series and greed has compromised just about everything. 

1a7a9f37-c2e1-4265-9e8f-e5c85dd9f63e.jpg

Was this Amazon or “fulfilled by Amazon?”  It came be difficult to find the difference and while Amazon is Amazon “fulfilled by Amazon” can be more or less wish.com. Could also be a problem with Amazon itself.   Amazon has developed a rep for treating workers badly, and one of the problems with treating workers badly is they become disloyal.  Literal sabotage. (Which was originally throwing wooden shoes into machinery)

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Dargaar said:

but I'm currently in limbo just waiting for them to deny said refund.

Amazon is good about refunds. They will most likely take your word and not bat an eye. 

13 minutes ago, Dargaar said:

I was worried about the number of newegg resellers (and third party Amazon sellers for the same reason) went with the Amazon Prime option.

3rd Party sellers can do Prime as well. Because they keep their supplies in the Amazon warehouse. Prime doesn't equal better sellers, it just equals faster shipping. For all you know an Amazon employee stole the CPU and put that one in. Thats just the world we live in now days. Everyone is out to fuck everyone else. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

That sucks. I'm guessing someone bought it to upgrade from a 3800X and then "returned" it with the 3800X in the box to get a refund. Unless the worker who dealt with the return was paying close attention, it'd be easy to miss. You just glance at it, see a CPU in the box with 800X in the name, and put it back on the shelf.

Thanks for the advice everyone. And yeah, it's listed as "Ships from and Sold by Amazon.ca". I think YoungBlade is probably onto what happened, but it's a very strange hussle to for like a $100 savings/profit.

7 minutes ago, Dargaar said:

Thanks for the advice everyone. And yeah, it's listed as "Ships from and Sold by Amazon.ca". I think YoungBlade is probably onto what happened, but it's a very strange hussle to for like a $100 savings/profit.

This is why I think sabotage may have been at least a partial motivator.  There was a period where auto workers were deliberately placing sandwiches saved from lunches under the carpeting of cars being manufactured.  A statement of anger at the company.  There were guns made in Belgium for the Germany during world war 2 that are so often and heavily sabotaged  they are not considered safe to fire.  There is also the story of Schindler, who produced only artillery ammo that didn’t work.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Or Burns, whose munitions worked dammit!

Man that is brutal, very sorry to hear that! I use Amazon quite a bit, but never for system components. I was tempted to use local sellers a number of times, but the cost was up there. I used Newegg.ca for all of my hardware purchases in 2020/2021. No problem.. well I did buy an open box board that was doa. Outside of that zero issues with them. Amazon shipping is way faster though.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's