The Future Of Wearables

nosirrah123

Right now wearables aren't as big as their potential, In my opinion it's because they're just adapting old form factors that don't really make sense, but thats just me. What do you think that wearables have to do to achieve mainstream appeal? What would a wearable have to do for you to buy it?

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

Because there isn't a device that does it all. 

I already have a watch. If I could have that watch with a digital OLED display that has EVERYTHING built in, as a standalone device, that can sync to other devices; they've got my money.

Its why I hate Gear devices (and I work for the bloody company). You can't even set the damn things up to work without a approved device. They aren't that autonomous. Contrast that with my Fitbit which can sync to everything I own and integrate with multiple apps. 

This is a segment where all in one is key. No one wants multiple wrist devices. We want just one. 

Too small most of the time, a watch is far too small to be anything useful. for those of you who have seen Futurama the wrist PDA that Leela has is the future of wearables.

EDIT: Google glass also makes people with small intellects mess with you and get unwanted attention.

What I want is a little hip mounted box that just projects stuff in front of you that you can control with your hands, voice, and eye tracking. That's the ultimate wearable.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

• 3 months later...

Too small most of the time, a watch is far too small to be anything useful. for those of you who have seen Futurama the wrist PDA that Leela has is the future of wearables.

EDIT: Google glass also makes people with small intellects mess with you and get unwanted attention.

That wrist PDA is something I most definitely would buy.  :P

Probably from compatibility restrictions, for example, I like the looks and features of the Samsung galaxy gear but I can't use it with my HTC

Here it's mostly marketing issues. People question the use off them, or are just uninformed in general. As it comes with any new innovation on a device, there isn't a lot of use for it yet. Not that many people are developing apps that actually work for it. Or it's just in it's hay-days where people need to get familiar with the product. You got to think in the grand scheme of things. 

Parents in my area are still transitioning to a smartphone up to this day. Mostly cost issues which will probably be a factor for the smart-watches as well. Remember how long it took for a smartphone to finally hit the general consumer market (if it wasn't an iphone)? 

Just wait until Apple announces their smart-watch, and their marketing will push the device in a new era as usual. 

Edit: Not to say I'm an Apple fanboy, but just look in the past. 

Edited by Vinzix

I lack the option "never" in the last poll.