iOS Download older versions of apps downsides?

The_russian

In my search of what to do with my old iPad 2 running iOS 9.3.5, I was about ready to use it as a digital picture frame and just display a photo slideshow on it, since I couldn't find any useful apps that are compatible with iOS 9.3.5. However I just found out that you can download older versions of some apps, as long as they are in your purchase history. I tried with a handful of apps and got mixed results, Spotify seems to work fine, Youtube won't load anything, Chrome seems to be working. So my question is, are there any downsides to downloading older versions of apps, where otherwise the app does not support iOS 9.3.5? Are they secure? I'm aware some features in apps won't work, or the app won't work at all as in the case of YouTube, just wondering if there are any reasons not to download them. 

11 minutes ago, The_russian said:

In my search of what to do with my old iPad 2 running iOS 9.3.5, I was about ready to use it as a digital picture frame and just display a photo slideshow on it, since I couldn't find any useful apps that are compatible with iOS 9.3.5. However I just found out that you can download older versions of some apps, as long as they are in your purchase history. I tried with a handful of apps and got mixed results, Spotify seems to work fine, Youtube won't load anything, Chrome seems to be working. So my question is, are there any downsides to downloading older versions of apps, where otherwise the app does not support iOS 9.3.5? Are they secure? I'm aware some features in apps won't work, or the app won't work at all as in the case of YouTube, just wondering if there are any reasons not to download them. 

I guess it depends on your use case. If you plan on using it as only a digital photo frame, you can always disconnect it from the internet, set it and forget it. 

But yea I'm not sure why Google broke compatibility with the latest YouTube app for iOS 9.3.5. My iPad Mini 1 could handle 720p60 just fine. Running YouTube from Safari is just a mess with constant page crashes. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

28 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Well downloading older versions of apps means that there are no security updates so there ya go for that. As far as I would be concerned; don't do any personal stuff with older versions of apps on that device; such as banking.

1 minute ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Well downloading older versions of apps means that there are no security updates so there ya go for that. As far as I would be concerned; don't do any personal stuff with older versions of apps on that device; such as banking.

Those were my thoughts on it as well, I'm definitely not doing any banking or anything sensitive on it regardless since the OS is outdated. You think it would be fine to use something like Spotify though? 

Just now, The_russian said:

Those were my thoughts on it as well, I'm definitely not doing any banking or anything sensitive on it regardless since the OS is outdated. You think it would be fine to use something like Spotify though? 

Oh totally. If it works then it works. I used my 4s for youtube from time to time until Google borked the iOS 9.3.6 app. And for what doesn't work you can still use websites. They won't look right due to an outdated browser but ey!