Recommendations for Helpdesk Ticketing & Inventory/Asset Management software/services

dalekphalm

Hey folks,

At work we're currently using the legacy "Desktop" version of Spiceworks Helpdesk, and that software is being EOL'd at the end of the year, so I'm looking for recommendations for a paid replacement (The software itself can be free but if so, Support for it is a must).

We've already looked at KACE (really liked what I saw), and will be looking at Jira and Zendesk.

We primarily need something for Incident Ticketing ("Helpdesk" software) and Inventory/Asset Management (ideally integrated with each other). Nice to have options include overall IT/System Management type features such as deployment/patch management, etc, but these are currently not requirements.

If anyone has used any of the 3 I'm looking at, how did you like it? Did you prefer it, or something else?

Also looking for recommendations beyond the 3 I've grabbed.

And no. We're not gonna consider SolarWinds :old-laugh:

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

We use Connectwise at my org. I'm not familiar enough with the options in this space to say how good or bad it is in comparison to other choices, but it seems to work well enough, and doesn't have the most horrible UI I've ever seen.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Hey folks,

At work we're currently using the legacy "Desktop" version of Spiceworks Helpdesk, and that software is being EOL'd at the end of the year, so I'm looking for recommendations for a paid replacement (The software itself can be free but if so, Support for it is a must).

We've already looked at KACE (really liked what I saw), and will be looking at Jira and Zendesk.

We primarily need something for Incident Ticketing ("Helpdesk" software) and Inventory/Asset Management (ideally integrated with each other). Nice to have options include overall IT/System Management type features such as deployment/patch management, etc, but these are currently not requirements.

If anyone has used any of the 3 I'm looking at, how did you like it? Did you prefer it, or something else?

take a look at atlassian "Jira service desk" they offer a variety of products

12 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

take a look at atlassian "Jira service desk" they offer a variety of products

Thank you for the suggestion, but it is on my list already 😛

Have you used Jira before? If so what can you tell me? I sent them a message looking for a quote so we'll definitely be checking them out.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

-snip-

-snip-

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

My work uses service now and gitlab for tickets

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

We use Kace.

Hands down the best "all in one" I've worked with. The "smart label" system is brilliant, and allows you to finetune which systems get what (like patches, updates, no updates, etc) 

I've looked at many other system, but none are so smooth to work with that Kace is.

PM me if you need more info, happy to discuss. I'm not on this board much any more.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

We use Kace.

Hands down the best "all in one" I've worked with. The "smart label" system is brilliant, and allows you to finetune which systems get what (like patches, updates, no updates, etc) 

I've looked at many other system, but none are so smooth to work with that Kace is.

PM me if you need more info, happy to discuss. I'm not on this board much any more.

Thanks - I had a talk with ZenDesk today - the ticketing system itself looks good (though not quite as good as KACE looked) - the major downside with ZenDesk was that there's no native Inventory/Asset management system. There are API's that allow third party systems to be used, so it's totally possible still, but that's a hassle I'd like to avoid.

We had a KACE demo last week and so far it's definitely the best looking.

31 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Thanks - I had a talk with ZenDesk today - the ticketing system itself looks good (though not quite as good as KACE looked) - the major downside with ZenDesk was that there's no native Inventory/Asset management system. There are API's that allow third party systems to be used, so it's totally possible still, but that's a hassle I'd like to avoid.

We had a KACE demo last week and so far it's definitely the best looking.

For the record, we use the Kace K1000 SMA (now virtualized) 

I"ve not looked into their other products.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

To add to the list, Micro Focus Service Manager is the system introduced recently at my workplace. It can be integrated with their Asset Management solution as well. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

• 2 months later...
On 7/29/2021 at 1:35 PM, dalekphalm said:

Hey folks,

Just an FYI solarwinds helpdesk is not on the same framework/engine that got hacked a few months back. 

On 7/29/2021 at 4:03 PM, comander said:

The three "publicly available" ticketing systems I've used were BMC Remedy, JIRA and Service Now. The latter I didn't get to use much (I changed jobs before really getting onboarded) but it seemed to work reasonably well and I preferred it to Remedy.

I mainly used JIRA for tracking projects moreso than service tickets though. Full disclosure I was usually the guy crunching numbers and analyzing data, not filing tickets (which wasn't fun). 

I've used Jira for tickets before. It was a pain in the ass, but it worked ....  kinda. Jira for me was better for developement bugs and enhancements instead of your day to day IT helpdesk tickets

19 hours ago, James Pisanich said:

Just an FYI solarwinds helpdesk is not on the same framework/engine that got hacked a few months back. 

Hah be that as it may, we're simply not taking a chance with that company.

19 hours ago, James Pisanich said:

I've used Jira for tickets before. It was a pain in the ass, but it worked ....  kinda. Jira for me was better for developement bugs and enhancements instead of your day to day IT helpdesk tickets

Yeah we looked at Jira. I wasn't impressed.

Right now KACE is our front runner, and it looks pretty good.

Heard decent things about KACE, and ZenDesk was alright in some limited use.

Online place I used to work for used Kayako. Overall it was pretty good, they are situated around customer support, IT support/help desk. I don't believe they had anything with inventory management built in, but they have the ability for certain integrations.

I've only had experience with Service Now, it's great when it all works together (ticketing, asset management, project management etc) can be sluggish at times depending on network traffic. Has good reporting tools once you get the hang of it as well.