solid r9 280x vs bad reviewed r9 290

lhikary
Go to solution Solved by lhikary,

When I decide to get a GPU, I look at the ratings, no matter what I will judge my decision on what to buy with the ratings, Im buying a Asus R9 280x currently, and its the highest rated out of all the R9 280X's on Amazon, also its the cheapest. I was going to get the MSI one cause I thought it came with a backplate which is something I wanted on my GPU, but it was the 6GB model that came with it, so I scrapped it and went with the Asus one. I say plan out what you want (R9 280X or a R9 290?) then find which brand has the highest rating and go with that.

People on this forum want the best of the best, so they will recommend the best of the best. The R9 280X will play anything under the sun for 1080p games on max settings. If you want to play 1440p the 280X will still be good at it.

I DECIDED I WILL GET THE GIGABYTE R9 280X :D or the asus r9 280x dc2 top

currently these are the available gpu's to me
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202080
both with its own set of bad reviews etc
and then comes this sort of solid
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125490
sort of better reviews
warranty and rma is out of question cuz i cant use them dont ask why

what to get?

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

Even the worst 290 is better than the best 280x. It depends if you want to put up with whatever problems it has.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

Don't see how that 280x has better reviews than tri-x 290.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Don't see how that 280x has better reviews than tri-x 290.

Even the worst 290 is better than the best 280x. It depends if you want to put up with whatever problems it has.

this:

INCONSISTENT CLOCKS. Yes the rumors are true, chart readings in MSI afterburner are all over the place.

some reviews

1HOT. This is my main complaint. I've spent hours in MSI Afterburner trying to set a fan curve that will cool this thing down only to have my thoughts drowned out by noise. This card runs HOT, at stock clocks and my (6) case fans set on full blast my card idles at 45-50 degrees celsius (ambient temp is usually 68-70 fahrenheit), This card runs HOT. While benchmarking Heaven and Valley side by side I reached 80 degrees celsius after only 10 minutes or so.

Defective

just sent my Rma request in, getting a whining noise from the middle fan at certain fan speeds,

flickering and artifacting on the desktop and in games. There have also been subsequent blackscreens since the first one.

Screws on back of card that hold heat sink/fan to the card stick out far enough to where they hit fan blades on the 2nd matching card I ordered. This may have destroyed my 2nd card

these reviews are scaring the crap out of me

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

Why not the competition...??

maxwell is close and im sick of waiting 

this:

INCONSISTENT CLOCKS. Yes the rumors are true, chart readings in MSI afterburner are all over the place.

some reviews

1HOT. This is my main complaint. I've spent hours in MSI Afterburner trying to set a fan curve that will cool this thing down only to have my thoughts drowned out by noise. This card runs HOT, at stock clocks and my (6) case fans set on full blast my card idles at 45-50 degrees celsius (ambient temp is usually 68-70 fahrenheit), This card runs HOT. While benchmarking Heaven and Valley side by side I reached 80 degrees celsius after only 10 minutes or so.

Defective

just sent my Rma request in, getting a whining noise from the middle fan at certain fan speeds,

flickering and artifacting on the desktop and in games. There have also been subsequent blackscreens since the first one.

Screws on back of card that hold heat sink/fan to the card stick out far enough to where they hit fan blades on the 2nd matching card I ordered. This may have destroyed my 2nd card

Either man up and get a 290 or take the safe route and get a 280x. Or, I think there is a 780 for $450 on amazon.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

this:

some reviews

Defective

Everyone knows that R9 290 is hot and it's nothing bad. Defective happens all the time too.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Either way, I would go with the TRI-X, or if you are really worried consider a 780.

The black screen issues are related to the memory, people are saying a bad batch got out. My first card suffered from this but I got a working card after an RMA.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1441349/290-290x-black-screen-poll

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

maxwell is close and im sick of waiting 

So get the 780...bcoz amd driver issues are also long overdue...dont know at what point they are gonna rectify it...but still 780 is a great choice if u dont want to wait...

So get the 780...bcoz amd driver issues are also long overdue...dont know at what point they are gonna rectify it...but still 780 is a great choice if u dont want to wait...

Hello fanboy... AMD drivers are getting better each release the only issue with the AMD cards is the heat which can be sorted with aftermarket cooling.

Either way, I would go with the TRI-X, or if you are really worried consider a 780.

The black screen issues are related to the memory, people are saying a bad batch got out. My first card suffered from this but I got a working card after an RMA.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1441349/290-290x-black-screen-poll

so it just was a batch?

The r9 290 tri x has a reference pcb

Hello fanboy... AMD drivers are getting better each release the only issue with the AMD cards is the heat which can be sorted with aftermarket cooling.

Ya correct but still issues are there...it will take sometime...and ya they sure get really hot... :P

Ya correct but still issues are there...it will take sometime...and ya they sure get really hot... :P

but if I got the 290 there will be a 200mm fan blowing yummy air right at it :D

but if I got the 290 there will be a 200mm fan blowing yummy air right at it :D

:lol: ...also 295 X2 will be out on 8 april...do u wanna get that...??... :)

:lol: ...also 295 X2 will be out on 8 april...do u wanna get that...??... :)

1500 for 2x 290x is stupid

you want to buy an AMD card ?

i think some one hacked lhikary's account :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

1500 for 2x 290x is stupid

Sure it is...but the question really to ask urself is whether it will fit allright in the case or not....???... :P

AMD-Radeon-R9-295-X2-Dual-GPU-Graphics-C

Sure it is...but the question really to ask urself is whether it will fit allright in the case or not....???... :P

Post of the year.

OP, you said it yourself, Maxwell is coming soon. Wait until it's out before you buy a card. If you really need something asap then try getting a 280x for ~$250. You can sell it in a few months for your money back. 

When I decide to get a GPU, I look at the ratings, no matter what I will judge my decision on what to buy with the ratings, Im buying a Asus R9 280x currently, and its the highest rated out of all the R9 280X's on Amazon, also its the cheapest. I was going to get the MSI one cause I thought it came with a backplate which is something I wanted on my GPU, but it was the 6GB model that came with it, so I scrapped it and went with the Asus one. I say plan out what you want (R9 280X or a R9 290?) then find which brand has the highest rating and go with that.

People on this forum want the best of the best, so they will recommend the best of the best. The R9 280X will play anything under the sun for 1080p games on max settings. If you want to play 1440p the 280X will still be good at it.

I DECIDED I WILL GET THE GIGABYTE R9 280X :D or the asus r9 280x dc2 top

My nephew has an Asus R9 290X DCU II and he gets about 70C load temp after more than an hour of BF4, and his card idles in the high 30's or low 40's, these are perfectly fine temp wise. The only reason they run hot is because AMD slapped on a pretty inefficient cooler, those 3rd party cooled models from Sapphire, PowerColor, MSI, Asus and such have more or less taken care of the heat issue.

As for drivers, if you see my sig, I have two main gaming system with AMD and nVidia cards, no real issue with drivers thus far.....for both these rigs.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

My nephew has an Asus R9 290X DCU II and he gets about 70C load temp after more than an hour of BF4, and his card idles in the high 30's or low 40's, these are perfectly fine temp wise. The only reason they run hot is because AMD slapped on a pretty inefficient cooler, those 3rd party cooled models from Sapphire, PowerColor, MSI, Asus and such have more or less taken care of the heat issue.

As for drivers, if you see my sig, I have two main gaming system with AMD and nVidia cards, no real issue with drivers thus far.....for both these rigs.

Ok then thats great... :) ...well i too prefer Asus for most of my stuff...

Post of the year.

OP, you said it yourself, Maxwell is coming soon. Wait until it's out before you buy a card.

we don't know when high end Maxwell is coming.