My monitor doesn't feel like 60fps

khufaaf

In the games i play i get well over 60 fps and my monitor is supposed to be set on on 60hrz (in windows settings). in my actual monitor's settings it says its at 59hz, i never really bothered about it but after play from an actual 60 hz display it feels very different, do i need to buy a new monitor or is there a way to fix it with software ?

The monitor is pretty old so i use a HDMI to VGA converter from Ugreen 

It still works fine but it doesn't feel nearly as smooth the one i tried 

Mon.jpg

17 minutes ago, khufaaf said:

HDMI to VGA

HDMI doesn't carry analogue signal, that adapter you've got is an active one which means the digital signal from your output device is being transformed into an analogue one... probably by some cheapo Chinese chip, God knows what it is doing to the signal (introducing lag, skipping / repeating frames, all kinds of fun).

20 minutes ago, khufaaf said:

It still works fine but it doesn't feel nearly as smooth the one i tried 

Either plug in your monitor into a VGA output on your GPU (if the GPU is that old), or if your GPU doesn't have VGA output then just buy a new monitor.... you can find a FHD IPS 60Hz monitors for a 100$ nowadays.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

So the output is actually 59.94hz rather than 60z we always just round up. Your perceived lack of frames is likely from that cheap UGreen HDMI to VGA adapter if from anything. Do you have a DVI port on that old beast? (I say old beast but I am no more than 2M from an older monitor that is still in use) The transition from HDMI is much cleaner than the transition from HDMI to VGA.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

11 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

cheap UGreen HDMI to VGA adapter if from anything. Do you have a DVI port on that old beast? 

I was under the impression that Ugreen was a good brand, no i don't have DVI on the monitor

Thank you for the info

ill buy a new monitor as soon as i can. 

1 hour ago, Biohazard777 said:

you can find a FHD IPS 60Hz monitors for a 100$ nowadays.

I live in Maldives where tech is quiet expensive and shipping prices are 100-150$ for something like a monitor

If i find a good deal, ill buy as soon as i can

thanks for the info

2 minutes ago, khufaaf said:

I was under the impression that Ugreen was a good brand, no i don't have DVI on the monitor

Thank you for the info

ill buy a new monitor as soon as i can. 

I personally have nothing to say about their overall quality, but chances are this was a relatively cheap purchase (sub $20 USD)  and at those prices you get what you pay for.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

29 minutes ago, khufaaf said:

I live in Maldives where tech is quiet expensive and shipping prices are 100-150$ for something like a monitor

If i find a good deal, ill buy as soon as i can

thanks for the info

Honestly speaking if you are going to spend money on something to replace what already works, I would recommend going for at least a 120hz display and a resolution that you will be comfortable with for years to come.

18 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Honestly speaking if you are going to spend money on something to replace what already I would recommend going for at least a 120hz display and a resolution that you will be comfortable with for years to come.

I saw a some online 144hz 1080p monitor for 150-200 dollars, is this normal pricing or most likely a scam?

6 minutes ago, khufaaf said:

I saw a some online 144hz 1080p monitor for 150-200 dollars, is this normal pricing or most likely a scam?

Sounds about right for a 24" to 27" class monitor and then for a 1440p 144hz to 165hz 27" class monitor you would likely be looking at the $250 to $400 USD

5 minutes ago, khufaaf said:

Yeah for 24" FHD , usually VA panels. Just don't get the TN panel type.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet