UPS solution for a gaming PC for ~4hrs

Blindsay

Let me start by saying I live in an apartment that is half underground so no option for a generator and no solar. 

That said I would like a UPS solution that will allow me to run my gaming PC/networking equipment for about 4hrs (and other electronics as needed). So ~500W for 4hrs is my target

Been looking around and this Cyberpower setup seems to be my best bet but I want to see if you all had any better ideasimage.thumb.png.47498e77252110d30f884dc802c744e8.png

The setup above comes to $2329.80 approx at current prices. Nice thing is I can buy the base unit and expand slowly so I dont have to spend it all at once.

Downsides are it will weigh about 320lbs all said an done (which I can deal with but it is a lot of weight). Still a good chunk of change and then also that is a lot of batteries to deal with replacing/recycling when the time comes.

I see a lot of those Lithium portable power stations and I am not sure if those would be an option? - https://www.bluettipower.com/products/bluetti-ac200p-2000wh-2000w-portable-power-station That would give me exactly 500w for 4hrs (well I think a little less after inefficiencies of the inverter inside it ). It is only 60lbs for the whole thing and would be easier to use for other items such as a TV or refrigerator. 

A Tesla home battery maybe?

There's no UPS on the planet that's going to run a gaming PC for 4 hours. You'd be lucky to get 30 minutes, and that's really only if you aren't actively doing stuff on it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Can i ask why you need to run it for 4 hours at a time? Also 500watts seems quite conservative for a full setup + networking. 

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

There's no UPS on the planet that's going to run a gaming PC for 4 hours. You'd be lucky to get 30 minutes, and that's really only if you aren't actively doing stuff on it.

I literally posted a screenshot of a setup that would do it...

No it won't because it doesn't work like that. The rate wattage is the maximum draw, but it doesn't tell you anything about how long it will run. You can't just divide 2000 by 500 and say that's 4 hours.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

3 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

No it won't because it doesn't work like that. The rate wattage is the maximum draw, but it doesn't tell you anything about how long it will run. You can't just divide 2000 by 500 and say that's 4 hours.

image.thumb.png.47498e77252110d30f884dc802c744e8.png

edit: and the BLUETTI pack is 2000wh so I can just divide by 4 for my 500w and get approx 4hrs

3 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Can i ask why you need to run it for 4 hours at a time? Also 500watts seems quite conservative for a full setup + networking. 

4hrs was just personal preference. 500W came from my current UPS when I am gaming that is about what it pulls with my monitor, tower, router, modem

6 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

image.thumb.png.47498e77252110d30f884dc802c744e8.png

That's an estimation. Runtime is based on amperage, not watts. Watts defines the maximum load, but the amperage of the load can vary, depending on what's plugged into it.

7 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

edit: and the BLUETTI pack is 2000wh so I can just divide by 4 for my 500w and get approx 4hrs

Right, that graph there says 247 minutes on run time, approx. 4 hours, expect that's for a 1500watt UPS with x3 70amp (8,400watt) Extended Battery Units. So 26,700 watts, not 2000 watts... 

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Right, that graph there says 247 minutes on run time, approx. 4 hours, expect that's for a 1500watt UPS with x3 70amp (8,400watt) Extended Battery Units. So 26,700 watts, not 2000 watts... 

You are mixing the two up. The graph is for the Cyberpower UPS solution.

The 2000wh number is for the Bluetti product which is something else I am considering and has nothing to do with the Cyberpower setup

1 minute ago, Blindsay said:

You are mixing the two up. The graph is for the Cyberpower UPS solution.

The 2000wh number is for the Bluetti product which is something else I am considering and has nothing to do with the Cyberpower setup

But this is what I'm trying to explain, if the cyber power setup at 26,700 watts can only do 4 hours, then by the same logic the Bluetti one will manage 18 minutes at 500 watts. 

You willing to diy it? Car batteries are pretty cheap, and 4 of them can easily power 500w for 4 hours

Also you don't want to be pushing these batteries to their limit as there gonna degrade pretty fast. And many ups models aren't made for this heavy of use.

Also its probably gonna be much cheaper if you can get power down. You should be able to game easily on 200w

But really get soemthing like. powerwall here or just use wall power.

15 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

That's an estimation. Runtime is based on amperage, not watts. Watts defines the maximum load, but the amperage of the load can vary, depending on what's plugged into it.

You do realize wattage is the amps being drawn at a specified voltage... Right? If you're somehow having amperage operate independently of wattage (while maintaining the same voltage), you are telling physics to go fuck itself in the ass with a tree.

image.png.d2ba6dc4aa470956ee539a4460f4e14c.png

Pretty sure you should have learned Ohm's Law in high school, but apparently not.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

But this is what I'm trying to explain, if the cyber power setup at 26,700 watts can only do 4 hours, then by the same logic the Bluetti one will manage 18 minutes at 500 watts. 

Your math is wrong on the cyberpower setup anyways, those packs are not 8400watt. Also who knows how efficient the DC -> AC Inverter is on the Cyberpower

I know someone who has tested the Bluetti and the capacity is accurate on it. 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You willing to diy it? Car batteries are pretty cheap, and 4 of them can easily power 500w for 4 hours

Also you don't want to be pushing these batteries to their limit as there gonna degrade pretty fast. And many ups models aren't made for this heavy of use.

Also its probably gonna be much cheaper if you can get power down. You should be able to game easily on 200w

But really get soemthing like. powerwall here or just use wall power.

I dont mind DIY at all but I want to do it safe and not cut any corners

1 minute ago, Blindsay said:

I dont mind DIY at all but I want to do it safe and not cut any corners

How often are you going to need to use the ups?

You can pretty easily get lead acid batteries and just connect them. Put a fuse in line and your good.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

How often are you going to need to use the ups?

You can pretty easily get lead acid batteries and just connect them. Put a fuse in line and your good.

Dont forget that you will also need to add an inverter and have to connect them in parallel so that youre increasing capacity and not voltage

It doesnt matter who wins and who loses, because in the end, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

Just now, CerberusFlame99 said:

Dont forget that you will also need to add an inverter and have to connect them in parallel so that youre increasing capacity and not voltage

The ups will hvae the inverter built in, so you can just connect them to the external battery port on a ups.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The ups will hvae the inverter built in, so you can just connect them to the external battery port on a ups.

I meant for the lead acid batteries. lead acid batteries on their own will not have a built in inverter lol

It doesnt matter who wins and who loses, because in the end, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

Just now, CerberusFlame99 said:

I meant for the lead acid batteries. lead acid batteries on their own will not have a built in inverter lol

You won't need a inverter for the batteries at all. The UPS has all the charging and inverter you need. Just plug lead acids into the external battery port and your good.

Also @Blindsay This is the formula for how long your PC will run according to Bluetti's own website. Therefore, 2000Wh * .90 * .88 / 500 = 3.168 hrs.

Capture.PNG

This is assuming it is brand new and the cells havent degraded over continuous charge and discharge cycles. Dut to the fact you will be using it as a UPS you can expect battery performance to degrade extremely quickly. This thing will be a paperweight in a matter of months. The cells aren't designed to handle continuous loads like that.

3 minutes ago, CerberusFlame99 said:

Also @Blindsay This is the formula for how long your PC will run according to Bluetti's own website. Therefore, 2000Wh * .90 * .88 / 500 = 3.168 hrs.

Capture.PNG

Thanks, yeah I knew I would lose some time due to the inefficiency of the inverter. Too bad I have to effectively go DC -> AC -> DC, would be more efficient If i could skip the middle step but that's a whole different animal.

The bluetti seems like an interesting product though, 60lbs is still fairly portable and that is a lot of power packed in there

Just now, Blindsay said:

Thanks, yeah I knew I would lose some time due to the inefficiency of the inverter. Too bad I have to effectively go DC -> AC -> DC, would be more efficient If i could skip the middle step but that's a whole different animal.

The bluetti seems like an interesting product though, 60lbs is still fairly portable and that is a lot of power packed in there

Yes but the main issue here is the fact that you will be constantly charging and discharging the batteries if its used as a ups. The cells will have effectively died after a couple of months of use. especially at that high of a load. 

2 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

Also why not just get a laptop? Then you get the UPS built in to the laptop. You can also easily switch to a external battery hot. Probably gonna be cheaper than a big ups too.

24 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

have worked with 1100kva ups cages that kept hospital equipment running for hours when generators failed that pulled far more than any gaming pc could dream of. But most likely he doesn't want to fill his house with battery cabinets 

@blindsay you would need something like a PR1500LCDRTXL2U  that is designed to have an additional 10 external battery packs BP48V75ART2U attached for 15000watt (1500x10),. the apc  smart-ups X 750 used to but i think they discounted that series,   but these units come at a premium cost - and are not priced for a consumers. 

What i would suggest personally is looking at a smart UPS as they integrate the pc/server and will change power modes and start throttling and can even run backup and shutdown scripts when the battery gets to x percent this prevents dataloss  and balances downtime vs cost.  something like this in 2200 or 3000 
https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-3000VA-LCD-120V/P-SMT3000