High idle temps on 3900X

As mentioned in the title, my CPU idles at 61C most of the time. When undervolting its idling at 55C.

In gaming scenarios, it goes to 84C, but never reaches the 95C thermal limit. 

It's cooled with an H100i AIO 240".

I'm using the Conductonaut liquid metal from Thermal Grizzly, which makes it that much more strange. 

Now I bought a regular paste from Nuctua to test if maybe the paste is the issue. 

The stock bios voltage is 1.4 (a bit high I think) @3800Mhz.

OC voltage is 1.475 @4450Mhz all cores. Idle temps at 65C (understandable).

Undervolting to 1.2V @3500 idle temps are 55C.

The room is always air-conditioned. 

What am I missing??? 

Are you really using Conductonaut or are you confusing it with Kryonaut? Conductonaut is a liquid metal compound. You'd need some sort of barrier around the CPU to keep it from just leaking out.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Ditch the h100. That will solve your problems.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

2 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Are you really using Conductonaut or are you confusing it with Kryonaut? Conductonaut is a liquid metal compound. You'd need some sort of barrier around the CPU to keep it from just leaking out.

Conductonaut for sure. If you apply it correctly (which I really don't know If I did) then no barriers are necessary. Then again, my CPU could just give out. 

But it's my 3rd run applying it, and so far so good. 

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

Ditch the h100. That will solve your problems.

That's the next step certainly. Corsair makes rubbish peripherals. 

I'm thinking of the Lian Li Galahad 360

I looked at the Galahad too, mainly because it’s easier to buy. The Arctic was another one I was looking at because it’s a stronger performer.. But in all honesty I don’t need an AIO at all. I still get all the boost.

I'm really baffled by this issue. 

Some say their temps are idle at 35-40.

Others say it's 55 as well. 

What gives?

With air I have seen my 5900 idle down to 25c, 21c on the cores.. everything depends on your ambient temps.. that’s just with AC.. winter should be good. 

16 hours ago, freeagent said:

With air I have seen my 5900 idle down to 25c, 21c on the cores.. everything depends on your ambient temps.. that’s just with AC.. winter should be good. 

My ambient temps are 23-21 all the time with AC always on

Update:

I reverted back to a normal thermal paste, from Noctua. 

Temps are the same unfortunately. 

Firstly, there were no improvements on the liquid metal. 

And secondly, the overall behavior is the same temperature wise. WHAT IS HAPPENING??? 

On 7/22/2021 at 8:38 AM, ambision said:

Update:

I reverted back to a normal thermal paste, from Noctua. 

Temps are the same unfortunately. 

Firstly, there were no improvements on the liquid metal. 

And secondly, the overall behavior is the same temperature wise. WHAT IS HAPPENING??? 

A week later, have you managed to solve the problem?

My 3900x arrives tomorrow, will be used to render out 3D animations & I certainly can't have this problem.. 

46 minutes ago, x0rec said:

A week later, have you managed to solve the problem?

My 3900x arrives tomorrow, will be used to render out 3D animations & I certainly can't have this problem.. 

You won't have this issue if you don't pump the voltage to it like the op did. I've built 3 3900x systems and with the wraith prism stock cooler I've never seen them get this high.

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

On 7/29/2021 at 2:45 AM, Gohardgrandpa said:

You won't have this issue if you don't pump the voltage to it like the op did. I've built 3 3900x systems and with the wraith prism stock cooler I've never seen them get this high.

Yeah mine's currently idling at around 49-55, 72-77 during load with a Corsair Hydro H100x. Running stock settings, guessing the default voltage is pretty high from what I've read online. 

I used to have that same issue. Unfortunately I no longer have a "before" graph to show. My idle temps right now is at around 40 degrees and ambient at 30-35. I used to have 50-60 for idle. Under volt is one option. But i just used Windows power settings to decrease and limit my CPU clock speed. If i'm ready for work, I just flip the balanced power to high performance. Instead of going through bios or Aorus software(GIgabyte board)image.png.0a0907398208a997aa7c4290d21430bf.png

image.png.74273bb82d4547ef2e053f4a8f85357b.pngimage.png.10a971a9d98b0982339ca8731e5432ca.png

The spike here is when in balanced power and under gaming load. Red line CPU max temp near to 48-50. Green line is GPU. Otherwise see the before and after of gaming load. 

1 hour ago, Annihilist said:

But i just used Windows power settings to decrease and limit my CPU clock speed. If i'm ready for work, I just flip the balanced power to high performance.

When the power went out, and I flipped my PC over to Battery mode to save my UPS, I watched ALL of my fans spin down, way down, and my idle temp went from 55-60c and it dropped to 36c. I have a Noctua D15S cooler. I'm also living on the edge and have PBO turned on.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

3900x is a bit of a hot cpu. 

it all depends on the background but even with a very good watercooling loop you can get 80c at a 100% load

I run my 3900x on a waterloop with the EDC bug

basicly EDC 1 and then scalar to 10x and max freq to 500mhz, I also have the clock gen to 101.5 and this brings the clocks on 6 cores to 4.7ghz+

Be aware this gets hot really hot. 

If temps are good while stress testing then the cooler, mounting and paste is good.

if temps are high while idle you are not really idle or you have disabled some power saving/ sleep setting.