integrated TPM chips

Wolly9102

Hello,

With Windows 11 demanding a TPM 2.0 chip to work I was wondering about integrated TPM chips.

The chip in my motherboard is disabled by default and get's disabled by a bios flash/reset. Would this result in a unbootable system when Windows 11 get's released or should Microsoft implant a warning that the TPM is disabled? 

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

1 minute ago, Wolly9102 said:

Hello,

With Windows 11 demanding a TPM 2.0 chip to work I was wondering about integrated TPM chips.

The chip in my motherboard is disabled by default and get's disabled by a bios flash/reset. Would this result in a unbootable system when Windows 11 get's released or should Microsoft implant a warning that the TPM is disabled? 

So... you re-enable it after a flash/bios update (which to be honest, how often do you do this?)

If you know Win11 requires a TPM, and enable it, and it works..... then Windows stops working, your memory should serve you well here.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

So... you re-enable it after a flash/bios update (which to be honest, how often do you do this?)

If you know Win11 requires a TPM, and enable it, and it works..... then Windows stops working, your memory should serve you well here.

I don't see it as a problem for me personally. Was talking about ''less knowing about pc's'' kins of people. 

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

5 minutes ago, Wolly9102 said:

I don't see it as a problem for me personally. Was talking about ''less knowing about pc's'' kins of people. 

The only type of system I know of that makes updating the BIOS easily accessible, is Lenovo laptops, which give users a popup in Windows to update the BIOS

Otherwise, I would generally say "Updating Windows" and "People who know less about PC's" are mutually exclusive.

Plus, I don't even know if every motherboard vendor would reset this setting upon a BIOS update.

You do bring up an interesting point though, but it's probably something that can only be answered accurately when Windows 11 properly fully releases (so outside the insider preview stage).

At that point is when they would realistically implement any warning about enabling TPM. It's probably less of a concern for Microsoft to implement now, as Windows 11 users currently are expected to know a bit more about PC's.

It would be interesting to see what the entire TPM situation will look like in about half a year, with the full release(s) of Windows 11.

I'd expect them to have some kind of either full-screen warning not letting you in Windows, or with a more 'neutral' pop-up warning in Windows to warn the user about the absence of TPM.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you have bitlocker enabled, you need the recovery key to get your data back. But this isn't the default on most pcs currently

23 minutes ago, Wolly9102 said:

Hello,

Shouldn't be an issue, thought right now I don't think many of us readers have a clear picture on how the TPM is being utilized by Windows 11. At least if you have BitLocker enabled on Windows 10 today, your TPM being disabled will cause boot problems as you'll be forced to key in the 48 character recovery code every startup. This would be resolved by simply re-enabling the TPM... unless the BIOS update clears it in the process which I worry it might do. Can't think of any other reason why an update would need to disable the TPM every time. But if the TPM is cleared, you're SOL, so have that recovery code on hand. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Good news is that if you have a Microsoft linked account, your bitLocker key is backed up automatically on Microsoft servers.