Help with choosing a CPU (LGA 1155)

GSXR

Budget (including currency): £65

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Warzone, CSGO @ 4:3 res, Cyberpunk 2077 720P, Rust, and other games I cannot think of.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

So my current PC is an i7-920, 20GB of DDR3 @ 1333mhz, GT 730 2GB with an overclock of 150 MHz core & +250 MHz on Memory, And I have finally chosen to upgrade my PC because I like Cyberpunk 2077 & Warzone

I already have my LGA 1155 motherboard which is a GA-Z77M-D3H, and I am just searching for a best bang for buck CPU that will be able to handle these games the best and so far I have a little list of CPUs that are within budget and on Amazon as I have a gift card on there, otherwise I would've order a 1270 V2 by now, My list just consists of the following

i5-3470, i5-3570K, i5-3550, i5-2500K, i5-3570, and E3-1270 V1, All are around the same price point ranging between £35-50 (Overpriced I know but it's amazon)

Which out of these would be best for my needs of the titles I want to play, Cheers and I appreciate it

Out of those, the E3-1270 V1 is the best option. Has hyperthreading, will make a big difference in modern games.

You won't be able to play Cyberpunk reasonably on this. That GT 730 will fuck you over.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, LienusLateTips said:

Out of those, the E3-1270 V1 is the best option. Has hyperthreading, will make a big difference in modern games.

You won't be able to play Cyberpunk reasonably on this. That GT 730 will fuck you over.

Oh my bad I forgot to mention I'll be getting a 1660 or 1650 Super or just a 1650

I would just say 3570k. It has the newest architecture (important at this age mobo) and has unlocked multiplier (which you should be able to utilise using your motherboard).

While hyperthreading is nice it is only a ~15-30% increase in multi-core speed, while having an Ivy bridge processor over sandy bridge will bring higher single core speed (especially important at this age-point CPU [I would take fractional single-core improvement over an ok-ish multi-core improvement ]) and also lower TDP.

2 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

I would just say 3570k. It has the newest architecture (important) and has unlocked multiplier (which you should be able to utilise using your motherboard).

While hyperthreading is nice it is only a ~15-30% increase in multi-core speed, while having an Ivy bridge processor over sandy bridge will bring higher single core speed (especially important at this age-point) and lower TDP

Ivy Bridge is barely an IPC increase over Sandy Bridge... it's nearly the same architecture moved onto 22nm.

With the 3570K you go from a soldered IHS to one with shitty Intel TIM.... and while you may be able to OC the 3570K more, the hyperthreading can really help with modern games.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

I would just say 3570k. It has the newest architecture (important) and has unlocked multiplier (which you should be able to utilise using your motherboard).

While hyperthreading is nice it is only a ~15-30% increase in multi-core speed, while having an Ivy bridge processor over sandy bridge will bring higher single core speed (especially important at this age-point) and lower TDP

Hyperthreading makes a decent difference for gaming, since games are programmed to take advantage of more cores now than they did when the Core i7-K was 4C/8T for infinity plus one years.

elephants

3 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

I would just say 3570k. Newest architecture and has unlocked multiplier.

Although unlocked is good for others, I personally wouldn't overclock due to Power consumption and heat, my cats knocked my AIO off my desk and it snapped off and I do not trust it even when epoxied together, and I don't think the Cooler that came with the motherboard combo would be good enough to cool an OC'd cpu

Just now, LienusLateTips said:

Ivy Bridge is barely an IPC increase over Sandy Bridge... it's nearly the same architecture moved onto 22nm.

With the 3570K you go from a soldered IHS to one with shitty Intel TIM.... and while you may be able to OC the 3570K more, the hyperthreading can really help with modern games.

While the IPC increase is little (they are very similar architectures), the 32 to 22 nm jump is a big TDP drop which allows for more potential overclock in the future (ever so slightly increasing system lifespan) at the 4 core playground single-core counts much more than multicore imo.

3 minutes ago, GSXR said:

Although unlocked is good for others, I personally wouldn't overclock due to Power consumption and heat, my cats knocked my AIO off my desk and it snapped off and I do not trust it even when epoxied together, and I don't think the Cooler that came with the motherboard combo would be good enough to cool an OC'd cpu

...what?

why on earth was your AIO on your desk to begin with 😂

Tbh just stick with your current system and upgrade the cpu to a xeon w3670/x5675 or higher

The x series xeons have dual socket support but locked multi (some 1366 boards can bclk oc)

The w series xeons are only single socket but unlocked multi (good for non bclk ocable boards)

The xeons im talking about here have 6 cores 12 threads so better than a measly i5 4 core with no hyperthreading

Plus you can just oc the shit out of these xeons if you feel like they are lackluster

Just now, Cela1 said:

...what?

why on earth was your AIO on your desk to begin with 😂

Just moved into a new house, didn't have my bed assembled so my room was tiny with a mattress on the floor and other misc things everywhere so I could only put it on my desk.

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Tbh just stick with your current system and upgrade the cpu to a xeon w3670/x5675 or higher

The x series xeons have dual socket support but locked multi (some 1366 boards can bclk oc)

The w series xeons are only single socket but unlocked multi (good for non bclk ocable boards)

The xeons im talking about here have 6 cores 12 threads so better than a measly i5 4 core with no hyperthreading

Plus you can just oc the shit out of these xeons if you feel like they are lackluster

My motherboard is a prebuilt Dell mobo, and sadly the MT version doesn't support X series as I already have tried a x5650 and x5660, Also would like to get off of this path and into a better one, and I already own the new board so

Just now, GSXR said:

Just moved into a new house, didn't have my bed assembled so my room was tiny with a mattress on the floor and other misc things everywhere so I could only put it on my desk.

What I meant was why is outside your computer?! 

Just now, Cela1 said:

What I meant was why is outside your computer?! 

Oh, It wasn't in use yet, I got it lightly used but it didn't come with the Intel bracket only AMD 

5 minutes ago, GSXR said:

Although unlocked is good for others, I personally wouldn't overclock due to Power consumption and heat

Lmfao with these kind of old platforms overclocking is an absolute must, esp since these old platforms dont have good ipc or high boost clocks or dynamic ocing, or any good auto oc tech

You can expect around a 20-40% performance gain with these older cpus that dont have high boost clocks

if you dont wanna overclock go with newer platforms like ryzen or 10/11th gen cause ocing only gives marginal gains so no need to oc

2 minutes ago, GSXR said:

My motherboard is a prebuilt Dell mobo, and sadly the MT version doesn't support X series as I already have tried a x5650 and x5660, Also would like to get off of this path and into a better one, and I already own the new board so

Stick a w series xeon in it and overclock it via throttlestop

If the volts arent enough you can volt mod like the lga 775 cpus though ive never heard of anyone doing volt mods on 1366

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Lmfao with these kind of old platforms overclocking is an absolute must, esp since these old platforms dont have good ipc or high boost clocks or dynamic ocing, or any good auto oc tech

You can expect around a 20-40% performance gain with these older cpus that dont have high boost clocks

if you dont wanna overclock go with newer platforms like ryzen or 10/11th gen cause ocing only gives marginal gains so no need to oc

Yuuup.

I run my 4690k at 4.8-4.9 GHz (all core) from the stock 3.5 all core / 3.9 single core.

It makes a big difference

Stick a w series xeon in it and overclock it via throttlestop

If the volts arent enough you can volt mod like the lga 775 cpus though ive never heard of anyone doing volt mods on 1366

I'd rather not buy anything for this Motherboard, although I do not disagree with your points, I have arleady bought a new board and do not want to ever touch 1366 again

2 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

Yuuup.

I run my 4690k at 4.8-4.9 GHz (all core) from the stock 3.5 all core / 3.9 single core.

It makes a big difference

What was the Temp difference like from base to 4.8GHz, also the power consumption as that takes a big play in the decision for me 

5 minutes ago, GSXR said:

What was the Temp difference like from base to 4.8GHz, also the power consumption as that takes a big play in the decision for me 

I honestly don't know, I run a completely overkill watercooling loop.

You *should* be able to run at least 4.0-4.4 GHz with an air cooler as long as you don't lose the silicon lottery (which can happen).

p.s. don't hold me to anything... overclocking is overclocking

I think youll wanna go with the i7 3770k cause you will need 4c 8t and you will also need to oc

4c 8t is basically the bare minimum to play modern aaa games these days

Not sure on safe volts, prob around 1.5v but ive mostly seen ppl at 1.4 or 1.45v near 5ghz, then again if you dont have a good cooler you arent gonna be able to run near 1.5v

I think youll wanna go with the i7 3770k cause you will need 4c 8t and you will also need to oc

Not sure on safe volts, prob around 1.5v but ive mostly seen ppl at 1.4 or 1.45v near 5ghz, then again if you dont have a good cooler you arent gonna be able to run near 1.5v

Unable to get one, as my money is on Amazon gift card balance sadly 😞

4c4t is still enough (that's what I run), although it is pushing it. Newer games will run better with more cores, but not a necessity yet. 

5 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

4c4t is still enough (that's what I run), although it is pushing it. Newer games will run better with more cores, but not a necessity yet. 

Well you are gonna have to overclock the absolute shit out of your 4c